ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   Why does higher Lattice energy ease the formation of an ionic bond?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

The lattice energy of an ionic solid is a measure of the strength of bonds in that ionic compound. It is usually defined as the enthalpy of formation of the ionic compound from gaseous ions and as such is invariably exothermic. Lattice energy may also be defined as the energy required to completely separate one mole of a solid ionic compound into gaseous ionic constituents. The concept of lattice energy was initially developed for rocksalt-structured and sphalerite-structured compounds like NaCl and ZnS, where the ions occupy high-symmetry crystal lattice sites. In the case of NaCl, the lattice energy is the energy released by the reaction

Na+ (g) + Cl (g) → NaCl (s)

which would amount to -787 kJ/mol.

3 years ago

So you mean if it has high lattice energy the crystal will be strong and thereby easing the formation of the bons.Is that right?

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
in lathanides, why neodymium possess high paramagnatism than others?

ThetetragonalNd2Fe14B crystal structure has exceptionally high uniaxialmagnetocrystalline anisotropy(HA~7teslas- magnetic field strength H in A/m versus magnetic moment in A.m2).This gives...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago

Respected sunil kumar sir, i cann’t clearely understand your answer , so pls give details broadly.

muthu sankar g 7 months ago
how can calculate the ionic product of water (Kw),at given temperature?

At 25 degree celcius it will be 1.01×10 -14 M 2

Susmithasri yesterday

at 25 degree celsius it will always be 10 -14

Tony Abraham 4 days ago
The mixture of noble gases are separated by which method?

Except radon which is obtained from radioactive element radium all the other members of zero group can be isolated from air. Two different approaches are used for the isolation of noble...
  img
Raheema Javed 3 months ago

The mixture of noble gases can be separated by the fractionation of liquid air.Baesd on the difference in the melting poing and bioling point these can be separated.When liquid air is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago
Can anyone help me how to differentiate b/w nucleophile & base during rxn with halo – compounds? I know that nucleophile do substitution & base do elimination. But, when such rxn is given, I...

Please tell me how would I know that I would use it as nucleophile for substitution or base for elimination. Talking to the point, I want to know the major difference b/w nucleophile & base...

Shivam Chopra 26 days ago

In some cases a nucleophile can act as a good base also When a 1 0 alkyl halide (2 0 also in most cases) is involved in the reaction substitution happens. Elimination reactions occur for 3 0...

viswanath 26 days ago

Thanks for trying. I just want a major difference b/w nucleophile & a base except for that nucleophile attack on carbon & base on hydrogen.

Shivam Chopra 22 days ago
if the solubility product of BaSO 4 is 1.5*10 -10 in water. It’s solubility , in moles per litre is

BaSO4 ionises to give – BaSO4 Ba 2+ + SO 4 2-- Suppose solubility of BaSO4 is s mol/l.It would give s mol/l of Ba2+ ions and s mol/l of SO4 2- ions on dissociation. Now, solubility...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 months ago

BaSO4<............>Ba+..+..SO4- C........................0...........0.......(intially) C-s.....................s..............s........(at equilibrium) where s is the...
  img
Naveen Kumar 4 months ago

If solubility product is 1.5*10^10,then for given reaction relation between solubility product and solubility is s.product=4*S^3 , where ‘S’ is solubility in mol/lit.the above relation comes...

aishwaryawagh one month ago
Calculate the wavelength of light emitted during the transition of an electron in b/w two levels of the Li 2+ ion, whose sum is 4 but difference is 2.

let the wavelength of light be represented by ^ here the sum fo two transition n1+n2 =4 and the difference is n1-n2 =2 solving both the equation we get 2n1 =6 ,n1=3 n2=1 therefore,1/^ =RZ^2...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago

sum is 4 and diff is 2 let them be ‘x’ and ‘y’ then x+y=4 x-y=2 solving this we get x=3 y=1 then simply apply rydberg’s formula and calculate

ninad kumbhojkar 5 months ago
View all Questions »