Why does higher Lattice energy ease the formation of an ionic bond?

2 years ago

Answers : (2)

The lattice energy of an ionic solid is a measure of the strength of bonds in that ionic compound. It is usually defined as the enthalpy of formation of the ionic compound from gaseous ions and as such is invariably exothermic. Lattice energy may also be defined as the energy required to completely separate one mole of a solid ionic compound into gaseous ionic constituents. The concept of lattice energy was initially developed for rocksalt-structured and sphalerite-structured compounds like NaCl and ZnS, where the ions occupy high-symmetry crystal lattice sites. In the case of NaCl, the lattice energy is the energy released by the reaction

Na+ (g) + Cl (g) → NaCl (s)

which would amount to -787 kJ/mol.

2 years ago

So you mean if it has high lattice energy the crystal will be strong and thereby easing the formation of the bons.Is that right?

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
can sum1 explain me what why will be the structure of Cu(Cl)2- complex be ..with reasons.

Copper(II) chloride is the chemical compound with the chemical formula CuCl2. This is a light brown solid, which slowly absorbs moisture to form a blue-green dihydrate. The copper(II)...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 22 days ago

But in prabhat kumar it was given that since cl is a weak ligand it cannot pair up the electrons and the structure will be TETRAHEDRAL .can u please explain me in terms of VBT i.e....

sameer gupta 21 days ago
is there any gud books to practice problems in inorganic chemistry?

dear friend for prcatising problem in inorganic chemistry go for op tondon exercises given in the chapters.practise more and more with previous year paper of iit,aieee,i think tis is more...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
Coordination no. Shown by cyclobutadiene???? Pls answr......

The salt [K([18]crown-6){Cp*Fe(η4-C4py4)}] (K1, py = 2-pyridyl, Cp* = C5Me5) is accessible by the reaction of an iron(0) naphthalene precursor and bis(2-pyridyl)acetylene. Cyclic...
  img
Suraj Prasad 2 months ago
Calculate the wavelength of light emitted during the transition of an electron in b/w two levels of the Li 2+ ion, whose sum is 4 but difference is 2.

let the wavelength of light be represented by ^ here the sum fo two transition n1+n2 =4 and the difference is n1-n2 =2 solving both the equation we get 2n1 =6 ,n1=3 n2=1 therefore,1/^ =RZ^2...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

sum is 4 and diff is 2 let them be ‘x’ and ‘y’ then x+y=4 x-y=2 solving this we get x=3 y=1 then simply apply rydberg’s formula and calculate

ninad kumbhojkar one month ago
I have a class test tommorow on biomolecules.I have only 2-3 hours to study is it enough and what are the topics I should concentrate on. Please reply urgently!!

Study about starch, cellulose linkages, glucose structure, its properties, different tests for glucose classification of amino acids, structure of amino acids, fructose structure , DNA and...
  img
Harishwar 2 months ago
​1. If the following gases are in monoatomic form then which one has greater entropy? i.H ii. O iii. N iv. Cl

At a fixed temperature the kinetic energy per mole can be given as: E=(f/2)*RT where f=degree of freedom and for translation movement, f=3, similarly some energy is associated with rotation...
  img
Naveen Kumar 10 days ago

But the answer is Cl..How?

Bhubesh 10 days ago
View all Questions »