Why does higher Lattice energy ease the formation of an ionic bond?

2 years ago

Answers : (2)

The lattice energy of an ionic solid is a measure of the strength of bonds in that ionic compound. It is usually defined as the enthalpy of formation of the ionic compound from gaseous ions and as such is invariably exothermic. Lattice energy may also be defined as the energy required to completely separate one mole of a solid ionic compound into gaseous ionic constituents. The concept of lattice energy was initially developed for rocksalt-structured and sphalerite-structured compounds like NaCl and ZnS, where the ions occupy high-symmetry crystal lattice sites. In the case of NaCl, the lattice energy is the energy released by the reaction

Na+ (g) + Cl (g) → NaCl (s)

which would amount to -787 kJ/mol.

2 years ago

So you mean if it has high lattice energy the crystal will be strong and thereby easing the formation of the bons.Is that right?

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
is lanthanoids can form nitrides ?

yes lanthanoid form nitrides. All of the lanthanides form a mononitride, LnN, with the rock salt structure. The mononitrides have attracted interest because of their unusual physical...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago
n factor of I ® I+

i depends on reaction... in genral n factor of I+ can be 1

Nikunj Sharma one month ago
Explain the structure of [Cu(NH)3]2+

oxidation state ia a nuber of electron gained or lost by atom.oxidation state of uncombined element is zero

tanveer ul haq one month ago

what is oxidation state

k ashok kumar one month ago
Why vapour pressure does not depend on surface area?

Hello student Vapour pressure does not depend upon the surface area bacause vapours produced from the surface increases on increasing the surface area. Therefore the ratio of numbers of...
  img
Anjali Ahuja one month ago

If we prepare a solution i.e., we dissolve small amount of solute in excess of solvent. We see that on the surface of the liquid of solution, number of solvent molecules became less bacause...
  img
Raheema Javed one month ago
what is meant by carbogen

Carbogen is a mixture of CO2 and Oxygen gas from 1.5% to 50% CO 2

Akhil Satheesh 5 months ago
what is oh group

In organic chemistry,OH represents the functional group-hydroxyl group.There is a single covalent bond between hydrogen and oxygen atom. It is represented as R-OH.Here Oh is a functional...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

In organic chemistry,OH represents the functional group-hydroxyl group.There is a single covalent bond between hydrogen and oxygen atom. It is represented as R-OH.Here Oh is a functional...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
View all Questions »