ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   Why does higher Lattice energy ease the formation of an ionic bond?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

The lattice energy of an ionic solid is a measure of the strength of bonds in that ionic compound. It is usually defined as the enthalpy of formation of the ionic compound from gaseous ions and as such is invariably exothermic. Lattice energy may also be defined as the energy required to completely separate one mole of a solid ionic compound into gaseous ionic constituents. The concept of lattice energy was initially developed for rocksalt-structured and sphalerite-structured compounds like NaCl and ZnS, where the ions occupy high-symmetry crystal lattice sites. In the case of NaCl, the lattice energy is the energy released by the reaction

Na+ (g) + Cl (g) → NaCl (s)

which would amount to -787 kJ/mol.

3 years ago

So you mean if it has high lattice energy the crystal will be strong and thereby easing the formation of the bons.Is that right?

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
can sum1 explain me what why will be the structure of Cu(Cl)2- complex be ..with reasons.

Copper(II) chloride is the chemical compound with the chemical formula CuCl2. This is a light brown solid, which slowly absorbs moisture to form a blue-green dihydrate. The copper(II)...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 8 months ago

But in prabhat kumar it was given that since cl is a weak ligand it cannot pair up the electrons and the structure will be TETRAHEDRAL .can u please explain me in terms of VBT i.e....

sameer gupta 8 months ago
FROM WHERE CAN I GET A GOOD PROJECT ON DETERMINATION OF ACID CONTENTS OF SOUR FRUIT

DETERMINATION OF FRUIT ACIDS BY TITRATION AND CALCULATION OF THE SUGAR/ACID RATIO It is the sugar/acid ratio which contributes toward s giving many fruits their characteristic flavour and so...
  img
Saurabh Kumar yesterday

There is no such thing exists. You can get the info from online regarding initial works and research papers or journals such that you can decide where and in which area the research work has...
  img
Avinash yesterday
the number of carbonatoms arraned linearly in CH 3 -CH 2 -CC-CH 3 will be?

there are two carbons that are linearly arranged second and third carbon from right are linear bcoz there is triple bond between them and have sp hybridiation approve if useful

ng29 2 months ago

answer may be wrong in book bcoz there is no mistake in my ans i think which book are u doing

ng29 2 months ago

ok thanx...i am doing ARIHANT complete success pakage for BITSAT 2015

mansi dabriwal 2 months ago
please see attachment first then read this remaining question if the second step is rate determining step then the order od rxⁿ wrt NO is

dear friend here the second step is the rate determining step or the slowest step. Here the slowest step is the second step.So the rate will depend on the concentration of 1 power of NO...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 months ago

Since here the cesond step is rate determing therefore thge proceed of the reaction will depend on the second step which is the slowest step. The order of the reaction will be-k[NOBr2][NO]...
  img

yes you are correct but i missed one step i told that rate =k[NOBr2][NO] But rate of formation of NOBr2=k1[NO][Br2] therefore,rate=kk1[NO]^2[Br2] Thus the rate with respect to NO will be 2...
  img
Which of the following names are correct as per IUPAC norms? 2,6,6-trimethyloctane 3,3,7-trimethyloctane Pent-4-en-2-yne Diethyl ether

3 and 4 are incorrect. But in case of 1& 2, 1 is given correct in a book reasoning first locant (here methyl group) should get lowest number (3) whereas in 2 nd first locant gets 3 which is ...

Himaja 7 months ago

Lowest locant rule is violated in compunds one and third,fourth is common name and not IUPAC name,hence second compound is the correct answer

Harihara Narayanan 7 months ago

The second compound would be the right answer as first one and the third violates the lowest sum rule and the last one is a common name.

Havishma Haranath 7 months ago
Does acetyl chloride give iodoform test?and why?

YES and NO.In some questions if heat is given then Qc is favouring forward reactions and reaction proceeds.

dev 5 months ago

YES and NO.In some questions if heat is given then Qc is favouring forward reactions and reaction proceeds.

dev 5 months ago
View all Questions »