DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

What role(s) dose the size as a physical property of the lanthanides and actinides plays to the effect of their complexation and magnetic property?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

The lanthanides and actinides are set apart even further from the transition metals. In most versions of the periodic table, lanthanum (57) is followed by hafnium (72) in the transition metals section of the chart. Similarly, actinium (89) is followed byrutherfordium(104). The "missing" metals—lanthanides and actinides respectively—are listed at the bottom of the chart. There are reasons for this, as well as for the names of these groups.

After the 6sorbital fills with the representative elemen barium(56), lanthanum does what a transition metal does—it begins filling the 5dorbital. But after lanthanum, something strange happens:cerium(58) quits filling 5d,and moves to fill the 4forbital. The filling of that orbital continues throughout the entirelanthenide series, all the way tolutetium(71). Thus lanthanides can be defined as those metals that fill the 4forbital; however, because lanthanum exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the lanthanides.

A similar pattern occurs for the actinides. The 7sorbital fills withradium(88), after which actinium (89) begins filling the 6dorbital. Next comesthorium, first of the actinides, which begins the filling of the 5forbital. This is completed with element 103,lawrencium. Actinides can thus be defined as those metals that fill the 5forbital; but again, because actinium exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the actinides

Thank You
Ruchi
Askiitians faculty
one year ago

he lanthanides and actinides are set apart even further from the transition metals. In most versions of the periodic table, lanthanum (57) is followed by hafnium (72) in the transition metals section of the chart. Similarly, actinium (89) is followed byrutherfordium(104). The "missing" metals—lanthanides and actinides respectively—are listed at the bottom of the chart. There are reasons for this, as well as for the names of these groups.

After the 6sorbital fills with the representative elemen barium(56), lanthanum does what a transition metal does—it begins filling the 5dorbital. But after lanthanum, something strange happens:cerium(58) quits filling 5d,and moves to fill the 4forbital. The filling of that orbital continues throughout the entirelanthenide series, all the way tolutetium(71). Thus lanthanides can be defined as those metals that fill the 4forbital; however, because lanthanum exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the lanthanides.

A similar pattern occurs for the actinides. The 7sorbital fills withradium(88), after which actinium (89) begins filling the 6dorbital. Next comesthorium, first of the actinides, which begins the filling of the 5forbital. This is completed with element 103,lawrencium.Actinides can thus be defined as those metals that fill the 5forbital; but again, because actinium exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the actinides

Thank You
Ruchi
Askiitians faculty
one year ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
CCl 4 will have a)a very low dipole moment b)a high dipole moment ​c)zero dipole moment d)a dipole moment which is exactly same as that of H 2 O

its c. Zero dipole moment.
  img
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago

there is no lone pair and the geometry is also symmetrical. So no dipole moment.
  img
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago

explation needed.... :P

mansi dabriwal 3 months ago
which is the best book to refer for inorganic chemistry for IIT preparation

Hi You can refer : 1. J. D. LEE Inorganic 2. ABC Chemistry 3. O.P. Tandon
  img
Sunil Kumar one month ago

jd lee is best book for inorganic chemistry for theory part and for practice k kumar by grb is best book and it is completely solved very rare students know about this book, but very good...

ng29 one month ago

balaji publication consice jdlee for the prepration of iits because jdlee will provide u the theory and balaji publication will provide u the mcqs and the multiple choices

grenade one month ago
Hi!! I need to introduce the chapters on metals and non-metals to a class VIII student targetting for IIT. Please suggest a book that gives good foundation in Inorganioc chemistry. Regards, ...

jd lee

grenade one month ago

Concise inorganic chemistry. It is having the information in different chapters. Hope it helped. Plz aprve

grenade one month ago

Thanks a lot. But J. D. Lee which one?

Aenakshee Roy one month ago
please tell me the plan for study of some basic concepts of chemistry i am very much confused... how to study this chapter for iit jee..... can i study whole ncert then start from pradeep...

this chapter is not very difficult. but mole concept is hard. so study mole concept from some good books and take help from this site or any site on web. approve if u like

vindhya 20 days ago

YOU SHOULD READ BOOKS OF GRB PUBLICATION

Naveen Garhwal 25 days ago
sir thanks a lot for giving such a beautiful notes.they are really very helpful.thanku sir...bt if u hd told the ans i wld hv got to no whether i am right on not...if u can plz send me...

You just follow the procedure as given you will come to know the answer and just clear it with your notes.
  img
Ashutosh Sharma yesterday
11.2 g of mixture of MCl (volatile) and NaCl gave 28.7 g of white ppt with excess of AgNO3 solution.11.2g of same mixture on heating gave a gas that on passing into AgNO3 solution gave...

I m trying this from yesterday

Utkarsh Pandey 13 days ago

I m trying this from yesterday

I m trying th

View all Questions »