What role(s) dose the size as a physical property of the lanthanides and actinides plays to the effect of their complexation and magnetic property?

2 years ago

Answers : (2)

The lanthanides and actinides are set apart even further from the transition metals. In most versions of the periodic table, lanthanum (57) is followed by hafnium (72) in the transition metals section of the chart. Similarly, actinium (89) is followed byrutherfordium(104). The "missing" metals—lanthanides and actinides respectively—are listed at the bottom of the chart. There are reasons for this, as well as for the names of these groups.

After the 6sorbital fills with the representative elemen barium(56), lanthanum does what a transition metal does—it begins filling the 5dorbital. But after lanthanum, something strange happens:cerium(58) quits filling 5d,and moves to fill the 4forbital. The filling of that orbital continues throughout the entirelanthenide series, all the way tolutetium(71). Thus lanthanides can be defined as those metals that fill the 4forbital; however, because lanthanum exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the lanthanides.

A similar pattern occurs for the actinides. The 7sorbital fills withradium(88), after which actinium (89) begins filling the 6dorbital. Next comesthorium, first of the actinides, which begins the filling of the 5forbital. This is completed with element 103,lawrencium. Actinides can thus be defined as those metals that fill the 5forbital; but again, because actinium exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the actinides

Thank You
Ruchi
Askiitians faculty
8 months ago

he lanthanides and actinides are set apart even further from the transition metals. In most versions of the periodic table, lanthanum (57) is followed by hafnium (72) in the transition metals section of the chart. Similarly, actinium (89) is followed byrutherfordium(104). The "missing" metals—lanthanides and actinides respectively—are listed at the bottom of the chart. There are reasons for this, as well as for the names of these groups.

After the 6sorbital fills with the representative elemen barium(56), lanthanum does what a transition metal does—it begins filling the 5dorbital. But after lanthanum, something strange happens:cerium(58) quits filling 5d,and moves to fill the 4forbital. The filling of that orbital continues throughout the entirelanthenide series, all the way tolutetium(71). Thus lanthanides can be defined as those metals that fill the 4forbital; however, because lanthanum exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the lanthanides.

A similar pattern occurs for the actinides. The 7sorbital fills withradium(88), after which actinium (89) begins filling the 6dorbital. Next comesthorium, first of the actinides, which begins the filling of the 5forbital. This is completed with element 103,lawrencium.Actinides can thus be defined as those metals that fill the 5forbital; but again, because actinium exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the actinides

Thank You
Ruchi
Askiitians faculty
8 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
CO is stable.But its analogue SiO,is not much.Give reasons...?

The difference of electronegativity between carbon and oxygen is not much as compared to the electronegativity deifference between silicon and oxygen.It leads to more polar bond and hence...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 11 days ago
How do we know which oxidation state of the transition elements will be more stabe and which ones are less stable??

we have to see the elctronic configuration and we should also keep in mind that configurations having half-filled and full-filled orbitals are more stable. As we go down the group the lower...
  img
Naveen Kumar 14 days ago
I in case of CF3I has a partial charge of +1 and in case of CH3I has a partial charge of -1. Why? I know it is related to electronegativity but please explain!

IN case of CF3I it dissociates as CF3- and I+ the charge on iodine is +1 whereas CH3I dissociates as CH3+ and I- the charge in case of I- is -1.see as the electronegativity of flourine is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
Can you explain the probablity diagrams (graph,the variation of phi and Phi^2 with distance from the nucleus for 1s & 2s orbitals.)? How the schrondinger conducted experiment to get this...

http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee-atomic-structure/quantum-mechanical-model-of-atom/….….….….….….….….….….….&hellip...
  img
Harishwar 28 days ago

Using the light with low frequency we find the position of electrons but how we will find the momentum of electron using light?

Vineeth 27 days ago
a body in a straight line travels 2 m in the first two seconds and 2.2m in the next four seconds with constant retardation. what will be its velocity at the end of the seventh second from...

let the initial velocity be u velocity at the end of second sth second=v1 velocity at the end of 6thsecond=v2 velocity at the end of the 7thsecond=v3 retardation=@ v1=u-2@ v2=u-6@ v3=u-7@...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago

Dear student, From the given information, we have: Here s reperesents the displacement, u the initial velocity, a is the acceleration. Hence, we get: a = -0.15 m/s 2 , u = 1.15 m/s. Thus, we...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 4 months ago
View all Questions »