What role(s) dose the size as a physical property of the lanthanides and actinides plays to the effect of their complexation and magnetic property?

2 years ago

Answers : (2)

The lanthanides and actinides are set apart even further from the transition metals. In most versions of the periodic table, lanthanum (57) is followed by hafnium (72) in the transition metals section of the chart. Similarly, actinium (89) is followed byrutherfordium(104). The "missing" metals—lanthanides and actinides respectively—are listed at the bottom of the chart. There are reasons for this, as well as for the names of these groups.

After the 6sorbital fills with the representative elemen barium(56), lanthanum does what a transition metal does—it begins filling the 5dorbital. But after lanthanum, something strange happens:cerium(58) quits filling 5d,and moves to fill the 4forbital. The filling of that orbital continues throughout the entirelanthenide series, all the way tolutetium(71). Thus lanthanides can be defined as those metals that fill the 4forbital; however, because lanthanum exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the lanthanides.

A similar pattern occurs for the actinides. The 7sorbital fills withradium(88), after which actinium (89) begins filling the 6dorbital. Next comesthorium, first of the actinides, which begins the filling of the 5forbital. This is completed with element 103,lawrencium. Actinides can thus be defined as those metals that fill the 5forbital; but again, because actinium exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the actinides

Thank You
Ruchi
Askiitians faculty
8 months ago

he lanthanides and actinides are set apart even further from the transition metals. In most versions of the periodic table, lanthanum (57) is followed by hafnium (72) in the transition metals section of the chart. Similarly, actinium (89) is followed byrutherfordium(104). The "missing" metals—lanthanides and actinides respectively—are listed at the bottom of the chart. There are reasons for this, as well as for the names of these groups.

After the 6sorbital fills with the representative elemen barium(56), lanthanum does what a transition metal does—it begins filling the 5dorbital. But after lanthanum, something strange happens:cerium(58) quits filling 5d,and moves to fill the 4forbital. The filling of that orbital continues throughout the entirelanthenide series, all the way tolutetium(71). Thus lanthanides can be defined as those metals that fill the 4forbital; however, because lanthanum exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the lanthanides.

A similar pattern occurs for the actinides. The 7sorbital fills withradium(88), after which actinium (89) begins filling the 6dorbital. Next comesthorium, first of the actinides, which begins the filling of the 5forbital. This is completed with element 103,lawrencium.Actinides can thus be defined as those metals that fill the 5forbital; but again, because actinium exhibits similar properties, it is usually included with the actinides

Thank You
Ruchi
Askiitians faculty
8 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Q . WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS MOST VOLATILE AND WHY?- HF HCl HI HBr

Among the following compound the most volatile is HCl.The volatility of compound id its property to have high vapour pressure at ordinary temperature. The order is HCl<HBr<HI<HF HF...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
Which is the hardest substance ? why is it so?

Diamond is regarded as the hardest known material in the world.But now scientists have calculated that a material called as lonsdaleite which is also called hexagonal diamond, since...
  img
Aarti Gupta 19 days ago

Diamond no longer nature's hardest material The gemstone lost its title of the "world's hardest material" to man-made nanomaterials some time ago. Now a rare natural...
  img
Raheema Javed 13 days ago

diamond.........it has a tetra hedral shape of carbon which is not easy to break also its shape is symmetrical which is always favoured by our nature That’s what i think

parv 19 days ago
n factor of I ® I+

i depends on reaction... in genral n factor of I+ can be 1

Nikunj Sharma 28 days ago
what is poppof’s rule ?

Popoff’s Rule - Oxidation of ketones is sometimes governed by this rule.According to this rule carbonyl group remains with smaller alkyl group. [O] Me- CO-Me ----------> MeCOOH + CO...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago
sir,what are the important qustions which can be asked from Ellingham diag from the chapter extraction of elments in MEDICAL entrance exam.?

An Ellingham diagram is a graph showing the temperature dependence of the stability for compounds. This analysis is usually used to evaluate the ease of reduction of metal oxides and...
  img
Ramreddy 22 days ago

thanku sir

Shriya Mehrotra 22 days ago
why nobel gases does not react with any other element???

because the electrons in the outermost shell are octet

Kapil 8 days ago

because the electrons in the outermost shell are octet

Kapil 8 days ago
View all Questions »