nature of halides

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are six elements in Group VIIA, the next-to-last column of the periodic table. As expected, these elements have certain properties in common. They all form diatomic molecules (H2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2, and At2), for example, and they all form negatively charged ions (H-, F-, Cl-, Br-, I-, and At-).

When the chemistry of these elements is discussed, hydrogen is separated from the others and astatine is ignored because it is radioactive. (The most stable isotopes of astatine have half-lives of less than a minute. As a result, the largest samples of astatine compounds studied to date have been less than 50 ng.) Discussions of the chemistry of the elements in Group VIIA therefore focus on four elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine. These elements are called thehalogens(from the Greekhals, "salt," andgennan, "to form or generate") because they are literally the salt formers.

Thank You

Ruchi

Askiitians Faculty

8 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Wat is diiferentiating electrons????

The electron by which the electron configuration of the given element differs from that of its preceding element is called differentiating electron is the last entering electron of its atom...
  img
Raheema Javed 18 days ago

Accourding to me differentiating electron is usually the one that is easily removed when forming ions.

Ashwin 3 months ago
The mixture of noble gases are separated by which method?

Except radon which is obtained from radioactive element radium all the other members of zero group can be isolated from air. Two different approaches are used for the isolation of noble...
  img

The mixture of noble gases can be separated by the fractionation of liquid air.Baesd on the difference in the melting poing and bioling point these can be separated.When liquid air is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
Explain the concept of banana/tau bonding.

Bananas are fun things, those of you who might have thought that I have changed into Sean Banancan relax and breathe easy again. I am here to talk about the banana bond. This is the informal...
  img
Harishwar one month ago

It was a bit complicated.. However.. I have read that Banana bond is a result of partial sharing of two hydrogen atoms by two boron atoms.. And the bent that appears, is it because of the...

ANMOL SETH 27 days ago
What do you meant by a susstance? Is there any differnce between matter and substance. Explain with an example.

Dear student, We generally define the termmatterfor all ordinary mattercomposed of atoms, and it excludedes phenomena such aslightorsound. We can generalize this concept of matter from atoms...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 3 months ago

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space(volume). But Substance (specifically chemical substance) is a matter with definite chemical composition. So anything that has mass and...
  img
Ramreddy 3 months ago
Sir please help me balance this equation- Cr(oh)3+IO3^-1-------->I-+CrO4^2-(in basic medium) by ion electron method. Sir it is written in my book to first balance all the atoms other that o...

Step-I : Write the two halves ; one the reduction-half and the other oxidation-half. Cr(OH) 3. ............>CrO 4 2- ...........................(i) oxidation-half IO 3 - .............
  img
Naveen Kumar one month ago
Why vapour pressure does not depend on surface area?

Hello student Vapour pressure does not depend upon the surface area bacause vapours produced from the surface increases on increasing the surface area. Therefore the ratio of numbers of...
  img
Anjali Ahuja 18 days ago

If we prepare a solution i.e., we dissolve small amount of solute in excess of solvent. We see that on the surface of the liquid of solution, number of solvent molecules became less bacause...
  img
View all Questions »