nature of halides

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are six elements in Group VIIA, the next-to-last column of the periodic table. As expected, these elements have certain properties in common. They all form diatomic molecules (H2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2, and At2), for example, and they all form negatively charged ions (H-, F-, Cl-, Br-, I-, and At-).

When the chemistry of these elements is discussed, hydrogen is separated from the others and astatine is ignored because it is radioactive. (The most stable isotopes of astatine have half-lives of less than a minute. As a result, the largest samples of astatine compounds studied to date have been less than 50 ng.) Discussions of the chemistry of the elements in Group VIIA therefore focus on four elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine. These elements are called thehalogens(from the Greekhals, "salt," andgennan, "to form or generate") because they are literally the salt formers.

Thank You

Ruchi

Askiitians Faculty

11 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
I dont find qualitative analysis chapter.Can you please say me where i can find it out?

For qualitative analysis you can refer P BAHADUR book which is given at the end of the book.
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
Which is the hardest substance ? why is it so?

Diamond is regarded as the hardest known material in the world.But now scientists have calculated that a material called as lonsdaleite which is also called hexagonal diamond, since...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Diamond no longer nature's hardest material The gemstone lost its title of the "world's hardest material" to man-made nanomaterials some time ago. Now a rare natural...
  img
Raheema Javed 2 months ago

diamond.........it has a tetra hedral shape of carbon which is not easy to break also its shape is symmetrical which is always favoured by our nature That’s what i think

parv 2 months ago
Is dsp3 and sp3d hybridisation the same? Also, is dsp hybridisation possible?

dsp3 is an inner orbital hybridisation whereas sp3d is an inner orbital hybridisation.When(n-1)d orbital combines with n s orbital and np orbital we get dsp3 hybridisation whereas if nd...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago
how to prepare for organic tests effectively!!?? pls suggest a method

Organic compounds unlike the inorganic ones cannot be identifeid by testing the ions as they do not give ions in the solution because of having colvalent linkages in them.Organic compounds...
  img
Aarti Gupta 5 months ago
Select the correct statements regarding E2 reactions it is anti-periplanar rearrangements take place it is a single step reaction

Yes u r right, actually it was my fault, I mean first and last and so I should have to write 1 and 3. Thanks for your comment. ......................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 2 months ago

1 and 2. For details please read the text book. ......................... ....................................................... ..........................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 2 months ago

The correct statements are it is anti- periplanar it is single step reaction

Himaja 2 months ago
How do the vanderwaals constants a, b vary for different gases? The value of a is higher for ethane than that for ammonia?

Hello Student Vander Waals constant for attraction (a) and volume (b) are characteristic for a given gas. Some salient feature of a & b are: 1. For a given gas Vander Waal’s...
  img
Pankaj 8 days ago

How do they vary for different gases? Eg:Why the the value of a is greater for C2H6 than for NH3

Himaja 4 days ago
View all Questions »