Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 280 off
USE CODE: MOB20

nature of halides

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are six elements in Group VIIA, the next-to-last column of the periodic table. As expected, these elements have certain properties in common. They all form diatomic molecules (H2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2, and At2), for example, and they all form negatively charged ions (H-, F-, Cl-, Br-, I-, and At-).

When the chemistry of these elements is discussed, hydrogen is separated from the others and astatine is ignored because it is radioactive. (The most stable isotopes of astatine have half-lives of less than a minute. As a result, the largest samples of astatine compounds studied to date have been less than 50 ng.) Discussions of the chemistry of the elements in Group VIIA therefore focus on four elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine. These elements are called thehalogens(from the Greekhals, "salt," andgennan, "to form or generate") because they are literally the salt formers.

Thank You

Ruchi

Askiitians Faculty

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Hi, is silicon amphoteric in nature or is it acidic? Thanks for any help in advance! ​ ​ ​

@ priyadarshini Silicon is a metal , so, it cannot be either acidic , besic or amphoteric . if you are talking about the silicon dioxide , which is the oxide form of silicon then here are...

Umakant biswal 13 days ago
The atomic mass of an element is 27.if valency is 3,the vapour density of the volatile chloride will be ?

would be Alcl3 volatile chloride so Calculate first molar mass of Alcl3. as the informattion is provided valency +3 is for Al and hence atomic mass 27. therefore, V.D = molar mass of Alcl3/2

Vikas TU 5 days ago
what is the emperical formula sheet silicates?

Si 2 O 2- 5

PRAPULPODISHETTI 11 months ago

5 )n^-2n 2- O 2 (Si

sanjay 11 months ago

n^-2n 2- O 2 (Si

SHANMUKESHWAR 11 months ago
i need an answer with the usage of logarithm 2:55 am A photon of wavelength 4 × 10–7 m strikes on metal surface, the work function of the metal being 2.13 eV. Calculate (i) the energy of...

@ shashan i will give you the approach to this question , first calculate the energy of the phototn , that is the frst bit question . as u knw E= HV = H C / LAMBDA U KNW THE VALUE OF LAMBDA ...

Umakant biswal 9 days ago
what is williamson ether synthesis ? and explain with example?

WILLIAMSON SYNTHESIS IS BEST METHOD FOR PREPARATION OF ETHERS. IN WILLIAMSON SYNTHESIS SODIUM ALCOXIDE IS REACT WITH ALKYL HALIDE TO GET ETHER

RAMCHANDRARAO 6 months ago

Hello Manjunadh:The Williamson ether synthesis is an organic reaction, forming an ether from an organohalide and an alcohol. This reaction was developed by Alexander Williamson in 1850....

Gaddam Chethan 6 months ago

Dear Manjunath WILLIAMSON SYNTHESIS IS BEST METHOD FOR PREPARATION OF ETHERS. IN WILLIAMSON SYNTHESIS SODIUM ALCOXIDE IS REACT WITH ALKYL HALIDE TO GET ETHER All the best for your bright...

Prabhakar ch 6 months ago
20 ml of a mixture of co and h2 were mixed with excess o2 an exploded and cooled . Volume contracted is 18ml . At room temperature and one atmospheric pressure determine volume ratio of co...

30cm3 of methane and ethane mixed with 100cm3 of O2 at RTP. Explosion occurs, on cooling 61.5cm3 remained. Find the percentage by volume of each gas in the mixture 2)32cm3 of a mix of CO2,...

ADITI SINGH 13 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 280 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts