nature of halides

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are six elements in Group VIIA, the next-to-last column of the periodic table. As expected, these elements have certain properties in common. They all form diatomic molecules (H2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2, and At2), for example, and they all form negatively charged ions (H-, F-, Cl-, Br-, I-, and At-).

When the chemistry of these elements is discussed, hydrogen is separated from the others and astatine is ignored because it is radioactive. (The most stable isotopes of astatine have half-lives of less than a minute. As a result, the largest samples of astatine compounds studied to date have been less than 50 ng.) Discussions of the chemistry of the elements in Group VIIA therefore focus on four elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine. These elements are called thehalogens(from the Greekhals, "salt," andgennan, "to form or generate") because they are literally the salt formers.

Thank You

Ruchi

Askiitians Faculty

4 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
oxygen is divalent where as sulphur exists valency 2,4 and 6 due to_______.

oxygen shows oxidation state 2 due to absence of d orbitals. but in sulphur vacant d orbitals are present in valence shell so sulphur can show 2,4 and 6 oxidation states.. thanks&regards...
  img
Kamlesh Kumar 5 months ago

due to presence of d-orbital in sulphur Thanks & Regards Mukesh Sharma askIITians Faculty
  img
Mukesh Sharma 5 months ago

because there is exist so ,so2 & so3 in mono , bi & tri state due to presence of d orbital

nitish rathore 5 months ago
Is BH3 a covalent compound or an ionic compound please explain giving reasons

BH3 or known as borane is an covalent compound as it is formed by sharing of electrons. Boron having atomic no.5 will have atomic configuration 2,3.Thus boron has 3 valence electrons and it...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

But the noble gas configuration for boron should be that of helium,ie,2 electrons in the K shell then why is it so that it shares the electron from the hydrogen atoms Please reply

Arpit Kumar 3 months ago
Hapticity of cycloheptatrienein Mo(C7H8)(CO)3is _______.

heptacity will be six according to 18th electron rule

vierandra kumar 5 months ago

six

vierandra kumar 5 months ago
Please give the product of reaction in the image

major product-1methylcyclopentene thanks and regards sunil kr askIITian faculty
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 20 days ago
what is the resonance effect?

Resonance effect is defined as the ‘polarity produced in the molecule by the interaction of two p-bonds or between a p-bond and lone pair of electrons present on an adjacent atom’. It is...
  img
ruchi yadav 4 months ago

resonance effect in chemistry is a property of substituents or functional groups in a chemical compound. The effect is used in a qualitative way and describes the electron withdrawing or...

Indu 3 months ago
I am really confused at this. As far as I know is CH3 increases electron density in the ring, thus toluidiene must be more basic. But that''s not what my book says(that aniline is...

if its ortho toluidine, then its less basic than aniline because of "ortho effect".... whilst meta and para toluidine as you said are more basic than aniline....

Varun Acharya 7 months ago

did you understand my explanation... if yes then plz reply positively.... ;)

Varun Acharya 5 months ago

*toluidiene --> toluidine

Abhishek Verma 7 months ago
View all Questions »