DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   nature of halides

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are six elements in Group VIIA, the next-to-last column of the periodic table. As expected, these elements have certain properties in common. They all form diatomic molecules (H2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2, and At2), for example, and they all form negatively charged ions (H-, F-, Cl-, Br-, I-, and At-).

When the chemistry of these elements is discussed, hydrogen is separated from the others and astatine is ignored because it is radioactive. (The most stable isotopes of astatine have half-lives of less than a minute. As a result, the largest samples of astatine compounds studied to date have been less than 50 ng.) Discussions of the chemistry of the elements in Group VIIA therefore focus on four elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine. These elements are called thehalogens(from the Greekhals, "salt," andgennan, "to form or generate") because they are literally the salt formers.

Thank You

Ruchi

Askiitians Faculty

one year ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Sir, What is the best book for Inorganic Chemistry?

i think J D Lee

Abhishek Singh 3 months ago

op tandan

Rajeev kushwaha 3 months ago
Can you explain what is Co-ordination isomerism and Co-ordination isomerism clearly.

Coordination isomerism is a form of structural isomerism in which the composition of the complex ion varies. In a coordination isomer the total ratio of ligand to metal remains the same, but...
  img
Suraj Prasad 26 days ago
Explain the structure of [Cu(NH)3]2+

oxidation state ia a nuber of electron gained or lost by atom.oxidation state of uncombined element is zero

tanveer ul haq 5 months ago

what is oxidation state

k ashok kumar 5 months ago
The initial prssure of COCl2 is 1000 torr.The total pressure of the system becomes 1500 torr.when the equilb COCl2(g)=CO(g) + Cl2(g).(reversible) is attained at constant temp.The value of Kp...

The given reaction is : CoCl2(g).......................................=.......CO(g).....+.....Cl2(g) 1000...
  img
Naveen Kumar 5 months ago

COCl2 -------> CO + Cl2 1000 torr (initial) 1000(1-x) 1000x 1000x Total pressure= 1000(1+x) = 1500 x= 0.5 or (50% dissociation) Kp= (pCl2)(pCO)/(pCOCl2) = 500 X 500 /500 you will get the...
  img
Ramreddy 5 months ago
what should i refer ,o p tandon or ranjeet shahi ?,if i need theory as well as ques at the same time

If you need theory then follow o.p.tandon or if you want to questions then follow ranjeet shahi. But it is better to follow o p tandon for both theory as well as questions....
  img
Ramreddy 7 months ago

thank you sir

sunath khadikar 7 months ago
what is hydrolysis AND ITS SIGNIFICANCE WITH ACID AND BASE STRENGTH

Hydrolysis means "cleavage by means of water". There are many different types of hydrolysis reaction, but in this problem, hydrolysis refers to a reaction between water and the...
  img
Raheema Javed 5 months ago

Hydrolysis is a reaction involving the breaking of a bond in a molecule using water. The reaction mainly occurs between an ion and water molecules and often changes the pH of a solution. In...

Saurabh Kumar 5 months ago
View all Questions »