Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 420 off
USE CODE: asknikunj

nature of halides

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are six elements in Group VIIA, the next-to-last column of the periodic table. As expected, these elements have certain properties in common. They all form diatomic molecules (H2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2, and At2), for example, and they all form negatively charged ions (H-, F-, Cl-, Br-, I-, and At-).

When the chemistry of these elements is discussed, hydrogen is separated from the others and astatine is ignored because it is radioactive. (The most stable isotopes of astatine have half-lives of less than a minute. As a result, the largest samples of astatine compounds studied to date have been less than 50 ng.) Discussions of the chemistry of the elements in Group VIIA therefore focus on four elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine. These elements are called thehalogens(from the Greekhals, "salt," andgennan, "to form or generate") because they are literally the salt formers.

Thank You

Ruchi

Askiitians Faculty

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Why we are neutralising Na2CO3 extract with dilute HNO3 and why we don`t use other acids?

Its like we can use any acid which is strong enough but with the use of HNO3 its been seen that the yield is more, that’s why we use it.
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago
please solve this problem

WHICH PROBLEM? COULD YOU PLEASE BE MORE SPECIFIC FOR ME TO ANSWER YOUR QUERY IN THE BEST MANNER. THANK YOU.

Bejoi Mathew 14 days ago
How bond dissociation energy depends on mass of isotopes i.e. neutron??

All this can be understood via Einstein’s mass enrgy relation. that is E = mc^2. thus the nucleus consists protons and neutrons both there is a major role of neutron in bond dissociation...

Vikas TU 14 days ago
List of compound and their uses of all chapter class11 chemistry

Hi, There are so many compounds, I suggest you to refer to NCERT everything is given there Thanks
  img
Nishant Vora one month ago

@ rafi there are more than 100 of compounds are avaliable if u will refer to the whole class 11 th chemistry . so, kindly tell of which chapter u required , so, that i can give u of that...

Umakant biswal one month ago
Kindly say most energitic hydrocarbons in living things

@ suman Gasoline , jet fuel and disel fuel are the most energetic hydrocarbons in the living system . and on contrast , petrolium , is the least energetic fuel among the hydrocarbon . the...

A sperical balloon of 21cm diameter is to be filled with hydrogen at NTP from a cylinder containing the gas at 20 atm and 27°C. if the cylinder can hold 2. 82L of water, calculate the number...

@ sowmya here i am giving u the steps which u can apply and solve the questions see, here we will know the volume of the baloon . and the pressure inside it , we will hv to assume it to be...

View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 4,500 off

Get extra R 420 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts