nature of halides

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are six elements in Group VIIA, the next-to-last column of the periodic table. As expected, these elements have certain properties in common. They all form diatomic molecules (H2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2, and At2), for example, and they all form negatively charged ions (H-, F-, Cl-, Br-, I-, and At-).

When the chemistry of these elements is discussed, hydrogen is separated from the others and astatine is ignored because it is radioactive. (The most stable isotopes of astatine have half-lives of less than a minute. As a result, the largest samples of astatine compounds studied to date have been less than 50 ng.) Discussions of the chemistry of the elements in Group VIIA therefore focus on four elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine. These elements are called thehalogens(from the Greekhals, "salt," andgennan, "to form or generate") because they are literally the salt formers.

Thank You

Ruchi

Askiitians Faculty

9 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Today, I studied slater's rules for calculating the effective nuclear charge. But, one particular line " The shielding power of the d and f orbital is lesser in comparison to the p and s...

Yes, Slater's rules does not take into account the orbitals for calculation of effective nuclear charge it takes the penultimate and pre penultimate shells for Zeff calculation....
  img
Ramreddy one month ago
is lanthanoids can form nitrides ?

yes lanthanoid form nitrides. All of the lanthanides form a mononitride, LnN, with the rock salt structure. The mononitrides have attracted interest because of their unusual physical...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago
which book should be preferred for inorganic chemistry

http://www.askiitians.com/important-books-iit-jee.aspx...........................................................................................................................................
  img
Harishwar 2 months ago
why only uranium is used as atomic fual

Uranium is a very heavy metal which can be used as an abundant source of concentrated energy . The nucleus of the U-235 atom comprises 92 protons and 143 neutrons (92 + 143 = 235). When the...

Saloni gordhan Rakholiya 2 months ago

who said only uranium is used there are many other things which can be used out of which 2 imp are:- uranium-235 (U-235) and plutonium-239 (Pu-239) Most nuclear fuels contain heavy fissile...

Ashwin 2 months ago
What is norborene?

Dear student, Norbornene is a bridged cyclic hydrocarbon. It is a white solid and has a pungent sour odor. The molecule consists of a cyclohexene ring with a methylene bridge existing...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 5 months ago
what is poppof’s rule ?

Popoff’s Rule - Oxidation of ketones is sometimes governed by this rule.According to this rule carbonyl group remains with smaller alkyl group. [O] Me- CO-Me ----------> MeCOOH + CO...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 months ago
View all Questions »