nature of halides

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are six elements in Group VIIA, the next-to-last column of the periodic table. As expected, these elements have certain properties in common. They all form diatomic molecules (H2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2, and At2), for example, and they all form negatively charged ions (H-, F-, Cl-, Br-, I-, and At-).

When the chemistry of these elements is discussed, hydrogen is separated from the others and astatine is ignored because it is radioactive. (The most stable isotopes of astatine have half-lives of less than a minute. As a result, the largest samples of astatine compounds studied to date have been less than 50 ng.) Discussions of the chemistry of the elements in Group VIIA therefore focus on four elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine. These elements are called thehalogens(from the Greekhals, "salt," andgennan, "to form or generate") because they are literally the salt formers.

Thank You

Ruchi

Askiitians Faculty

8 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Explain the concept of banana/tau bonding.

Bananas are fun things, those of you who might have thought that I have changed into Sean Banancan relax and breathe easy again. I am here to talk about the banana bond. This is the informal...
  img
Harishwar one month ago

It was a bit complicated.. However.. I have read that Banana bond is a result of partial sharing of two hydrogen atoms by two boron atoms.. And the bent that appears, is it because of the...

ANMOL SETH 22 days ago
HELP!!!! Please guide me how to study Periodic Classification Elements. Is it really important for Chemical Bonding? And also Do i need to cram it all up( Periodic Classification)? If yes...

yes the book you are having is very good.let me tell you chaemical bonding ,periodic table, forms the most imp part of chemistry so you shouls have a very strong command over it. only way...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
Can I prepare complete Inorganic chemistry in 4 moths as I have not studied it at all.Can it be prepared in time that is left now.

Dear student yes you can definitely complete your inorganic chemistry in the period of 4 months,as it would be enough time for you.Don’t take stress while thinking that you...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

Dear student NCERT book is very good but for the detail description of topics you should use other helping books also.As in such book you get the descriptions which you might need while...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

Yeah, you can prepare Inorganic Chemistry in 4 months but just make sure you also keep in touch with other subjects .You can give majority of time to Inorganic but ewach subject is...
  img
Aziz Alam one month ago
What do you meant by a susstance? Is there any differnce between matter and substance. Explain with an example.

Dear student, We generally define the termmatterfor all ordinary mattercomposed of atoms, and it excludedes phenomena such aslightorsound. We can generalize this concept of matter from atoms...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 3 months ago

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space(volume). But Substance (specifically chemical substance) is a matter with definite chemical composition. So anything that has mass and...
  img
Ramreddy 3 months ago
Select the correct statements regarding E2 reactions it is anti-periplanar rearrangements take place it is a single step reaction

Yes u r right, actually it was my fault, I mean first and last and so I should have to write 1 and 3. Thanks for your comment. ......................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 12 days ago

1 and 2. For details please read the text book. ......................... ....................................................... ..........................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 13 days ago

The correct statements are it is anti- periplanar it is single step reaction

himaja 12 days ago
Explain band spectrum?

you can assume it like fingerprints of any person. For every element you can have band spectrum. The transition spectrum patten is unique for every element. By transition i mean the...
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago

Spectral bands are part of optical spectra of polyatomic systems, including condensed materials, large molecules, etc. Each line corresponds to one level in the atom splits in the molecules....
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago

Wikipedia is good .Can you explain in your own words in short ?

Vineeth one month ago
View all Questions »