limitations of vbt

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Farah,

The valence bond theory was fairly successful in explaining qualitatively the geometry and magnetic behaviour of the complexes. But, it could not explain the following :

(i) The origin of their absorption spectra could not be explained.

(ii) Why did different complexes of the same metal show different colours.

(iii) Relative stabilities of different complexes could not be explained.

(iv) Why should certain ligands form high spin, while others low spin complexes.

Best Of Luck...!!!!

Cracking IIT just got more exciting,It’s not just all about getting assistance from IITians, alongside Target Achievement and Rewards play an important role. ASKIITIANS has it all for you, wherein you get assistance only from IITians for your preparation and win by answering queries in the discussion forums. Reward points 5 + 15 for all those who upload their pic and download the ASKIITIANS Toolbar, just a simple  to download the toolbar….

So start the brain storming…. become a leader with Elite Expert League ASKIITIANS

Thanks

Aman Bansal

Askiitian Expert

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
What is the hybridisation of Phosphorus in PH3?

for phospine it is sp3 because the hybrid was just resulted from sigma bond of the 3s orbital of the H and p orbital of the P,however, only 3 bonds will form because the remaining two...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago

sir,will the drago rule not be applied here?

vineet chatterjee 3 months ago
why does methyl chloride gives methyl cyanide on treatment with KCN and methyl isocyanide on treatment with AgCN

Because KCN is predominantly has ionic characterand provides cyanide ions in the solution. Although both carbon and nitrogen atoms are in position to donate electron pairs, the attack takes...

saurabh pathak 9 hours ago
pls provide me information on diff types of backbonding eg. ppi-ppi,ppi-dpi,dpi,ppi,,,,,etc

Pπ- Pπ bonding is called back bonding In BF3molecule the 2P orbitals of each F atom are fully filled, while one of 2Porbital of the B atom is vacant. The two 2P orbitals involved in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
structure of organic compound

An organic compound is any member of a large class of gaseous, liquid, or solid chemical compounds whose molecules contain carbon. Carbon has four valence electrons 2s2 2p2 and it must...
  img
Raheema Javed 29 days ago

Hi Student Please mention in more detail, which organic compound’s structure you want to know since there are large number of organic compounds. If you looking for anything else please...
  img
Harsh Patodia 29 days ago
For the given EQ. L(gas) ---------> M(gas), K(forward) = 5 * 10^-4 mol/L/Sec K(back) = 3 * 10^-2 L/Mol/sec, then equilibrium concentration of M is

But answer is not K.eq

Arpit Dhankar 2 months ago

Keq=Kf/Kb 1.66 x 10^-2

Karan Yadav 2 months ago
H2 + I2 = 2HI (an elementary reaction)...If the volume of the container containing the gaseous mixture is increased to 2 times ,then final rate of reaction !- become 4 times 2 become ¼ th of...

rate law = k[H2][I2] when we increase the volume by 2 times the concentration becomes half. The rate of reaction becomes one fourth of the initial value. so, option (2) is correct....
  img
Ramreddy 25 days ago

H2 + I2 = 2HI As it is elementary reaction, so order=molecularity=2 rate(r1)=k[H2][I2] Now the volume is increased two times, so their concentration would be ½ of original value. so...
  img
Naveen Kumar 25 days ago
View all Questions »