limitations of vbt

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Farah,

The valence bond theory was fairly successful in explaining qualitatively the geometry and magnetic behaviour of the complexes. But, it could not explain the following :

(i) The origin of their absorption spectra could not be explained.

(ii) Why did different complexes of the same metal show different colours.

(iii) Relative stabilities of different complexes could not be explained.

(iv) Why should certain ligands form high spin, while others low spin complexes.

Best Of Luck...!!!!

Cracking IIT just got more exciting,It’s not just all about getting assistance from IITians, alongside Target Achievement and Rewards play an important role. ASKIITIANS has it all for you, wherein you get assistance only from IITians for your preparation and win by answering queries in the discussion forums. Reward points 5 + 15 for all those who upload their pic and download the ASKIITIANS Toolbar, just a simple  to download the toolbar….

So start the brain storming…. become a leader with Elite Expert League ASKIITIANS

Thanks

Aman Bansal

Askiitian Expert

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Given two optical isomers of any coordination compound. How to determine which one is dextro and which one is laevo ?

Dextrorotation and levorotation (also spelled laevorotation) refer to the properties of rotating plane polarized light. If the light rotates clockwise as it approaches an observer, this is...
  img
Harishwar 8 days ago
The ratio of difference int he wavelengths of 1 st and 2 nd lines of lyman seres in H-like atim of difference in wavelength for 2 nd and 3 rd lines of same series is - 2.5:1 3.5:1 4,5:1...

1/λ = 1.097 x 10^7 ( 1 - 1/n^2) n=2 => 1/λ = 1.097 x 10^7(1 - 1/4) = 0.82275 x 10^7 per m => λ = 1.215 x 10^(-7) m ------------eq(1) n=3 => 1/λ = 1.097 x...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
what is le chatelier's principle??? Explain in brief..

A statement of Le Chatelier's Principle If a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium moves to counteract the change. Using Le...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
I’m very weak in organic part...revision track started in our college.. i have holidays...how should i start my preparation?? please tell me some tips...

yes definetely you should start your preparation.First of all ,you should be starting with NCERT and have good command over it.Then you should read MORISSON and BOYD and slove each and every...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 29 days ago
convert 1-Bromo butane to Toluene

img
Harishwar one month ago
describe the contents of the erlenmeyer flask during titration at these points: (i)initially (ii) at half titration (iii) at the equivalence point (iv) after the equivalence point. Include...

The contents of flask sepends upon the type of titration done. For example; in acid- Base titration if we take acid in the flask with few drops of suitable indicator then in the burrete we...
  img
Naveen Kumar 3 days ago
View all Questions »