limitations of vbt

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Farah,

The valence bond theory was fairly successful in explaining qualitatively the geometry and magnetic behaviour of the complexes. But, it could not explain the following :

(i) The origin of their absorption spectra could not be explained.

(ii) Why did different complexes of the same metal show different colours.

(iii) Relative stabilities of different complexes could not be explained.

(iv) Why should certain ligands form high spin, while others low spin complexes.

Best Of Luck...!!!!

Cracking IIT just got more exciting,It’s not just all about getting assistance from IITians, alongside Target Achievement and Rewards play an important role. ASKIITIANS has it all for you, wherein you get assistance only from IITians for your preparation and win by answering queries in the discussion forums. Reward points 5 + 15 for all those who upload their pic and download the ASKIITIANS Toolbar, just a simple  to download the toolbar….

So start the brain storming…. become a leader with Elite Expert League ASKIITIANS

Thanks

Aman Bansal

Askiitian Expert

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
in lathanides, why neodymium possess high paramagnatism than others?

ThetetragonalNd2Fe14B crystal structure has exceptionally high uniaxialmagnetocrystalline anisotropy(HA~7teslas- magnetic field strength H in A/m versus magnetic moment in A.m2).This gives...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

Respected sunil kumar sir, i cann’t clearely understand your answer , so pls give details broadly.

muthu sankar g one month ago
molecular orbital of NO2

molecular orbital for NO2 number of valence electron of NO2 =5 for nitrogen and 6 for each oxygen atom.So total valence electron=5+6*2=17 valence electron sigma(2), sigma(2),...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 10 days ago
what is le chatelier's principle??? Explain in brief..

A statement of Le Chatelier's Principle If a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium moves to counteract the change. Using Le...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
what is hybridization of XeF 6 ?

XeF 6 i.e xenon hexafluoride is one of the three fluorides formed by xenon.According to VSEPR theory this molecule has seven electron pairs ( 6 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair) and thus,it has...
  img
Aarti Gupta 24 days ago
why does hydrogen have the greatest migrating aptitude!!??

The key to the migration is a donation of electrons to the other oxygen atom. If a RCH(OH)OOR" is created from an aldehyde, then the apparent migrating group is a hydrogen. I think of...
  img
Harishwar 4 days ago
View all Questions »