Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

Why NO2- can form both low spin and hgh spin complexes ?

7 years ago

Answers : (2)

When metals are coordinated to ligands to form a complex, its "d" orbital splits into high and low energy groups of suborbitals. Depending on the nature of the ligands, the energy difference separating these groups can be large or small. In the first case, electrons of the d orbital tend to pair in the low energy suborbitals, a configuration known as "low spin". If the energy difference is low, electrons tend to distribute unpaired, giving rise to a "high spin" configuration. High spin is associated with paramagnetism (the property of being attracted to magnetic fields), while low spin is associated to diamagnetism (inert or repelled by magnets).

7 years ago

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

What do we mean by kinetically controlled product and thermodynamically control product. How to check whether the product formed is the former one or the latter one.
@ gagandeep suppose u have 2 product – Product a and product b then product a forms faster than product B beacuse activation energy of product a is lkower than that of product B . yet...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
What is Quantum numbers???????Write part of this Quantum numbers???????¿??????
Quantum numbers are those numbers which provides complete information of the position ; energy and spin of electrons in the atomAnd the part of this is 1 main Quantum number1 angular 3...
rahul kushwaha 21 days ago
CO2 has the same geometry as: 1. HgCl2 2.NO2 3. SnCl4 4. C2H2
@ amisha option no 4 will turns out to be the correct option . so, C2H2 will be the answer here . in co2 the structure is linear and in c2h2 also the structure are linear , in co2 the bond...
Umakant biswal one month ago
C2H2 Because both the compounds have linear geometry due to SP hybridization.In NO2 due to 1 electron it has neither bent nor linear geometry.
Himanshu one month ago
Give me full notes of solids state with fully explanation
@ manish in solid state , u have to only use your imagination , that chapter only uses imagination and creating the concept , the imp topics are (for boards ) 1- tetrahedral and octahedral...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
please visit thanks and please approve my answer:} post if you have any doubt
SAHIL 3 months ago
Please provide me with some mnemonics for organic chemistry so that I can learn some of the difficult reactions easily.
Nishant Vora 3 months ago
@ nilay how can we construct mnemonics for remembering the reaction , i am sorry to say there are no mnemonics avaliable for learning the organic name reaction . what u have to do for that...
The dye acriflavine,when dissolved in water has its maximum fluorescence emission at 5080 angstorm . the number of fluorescence quanta is on the average 53% of the number of quanta absorbed...
ALERT Using the wave length of maximum absorption and emission ,what % of energy is emitted as fluorescence? This line is not matching with given datas...... Please recheck the question and...
Adil Khan 3 months ago
@ richa The questions are incomplete , Kindly recheck the question and post it again . REASON- maximum light absorption should be mentioned The energy of a photon is inversely proportional...
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn