plz explain me TITRATION IN REDOX REACTIONS. i have not done any practical related to it, thats why i m facing problem in it. plz tell what is the set up and what process is process going on. i really cannot understand its explanation in NCERT or any site on web. i hope u will be a help to me. with regards, SAUMYA

plz explain me TITRATION IN REDOX REACTIONS. i have not done any practical related to it, thats why i m facing problem in it.

plz tell what is the set up and what process is process going on.

i really cannot understand its explanation in NCERT or any site on web.

i hope u will be a help to me.

with regards,

SAUMYA

Grade:11

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

Key Concepts

• A REDOX titration is a volumetric method that relies on the oxidationof the analyte (substance to be analysed).
  • The titrant (solution of known concentration) is often an oxidising agent.

Common oxidising agents are:

1. permanganate ion (MnO4-)
      MnO4-(aq) + 8H+ + 5e -----> Mn2+(aq) + 4H2O     Eo = +1.51V
      purple permanganate ion (MnO4-) is reduced to colourless manganese (II) ion (Mn2+)
    2. dichromate ion (Cr2O72-)
      Cr2O72-(aq) + 14H+ + 6e -----> 2Cr3+(aq) + 7H2O     Eo = +1.23V
      orange dichromate ion (Cr2O72-) is reduced to green chromium (III) ions (Cr3+)
  • At the equivalence point E(forward) = E(reverse), or, E(cell) = 0
  • If the REDOX reaction does not produce a well-defined colour change at the equivalence point, an indicator should be used in the titration.
    Starch can be used as an indicator for REDOX titrations using iodine as the titrant (iodine is a weak oxidising agent) because starch forms a blue complex with iodine.
  • The REDOX titration curve is a plot of Electrode Potential (volts) vs volume of titrant or analyte.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free