Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

What are the Characteristics of Alkali Metals? Also show

some important ores of alkali metal.

7 years ago

Answers : (2)

Characteristics of Alkali Metals:

1.    Each member of group IA or group 1 has ns1 arrangement of electrons where n represents for the outermost shell i.e., all these members possess only on electron in their outermost shell followed with (n – 1)s2p6 or (n – 1)s2 (i.e., Li).

Lithium           or    3Li         :    1S2, 2s1 or [He] 2s1

Sodium          or    11Na     :    1s2, 2s22p6, 3s1 or [Ne] 3s1

Potassium    or    19K        :    1s2, 2s22p6, 3s22p6, 4s1 or [Ar] 4s1

Rubidium      or    37Rb     :    1s2, 2s22p6, 3s23p6d10, 4s24p6d10, 5s25p6, 6s1

or [Xe] 6s1

Caesium       or    55Cs     :    1s2, 2s22p6, 3s23p63d10, 4s24p6d10, 5s25p6, 6s1

or [Xe] 6s1

Francium        or    87Fr     :    1s2, 2s22p6, 3s23p63d10, 4s24p64f14, 5s25p65d10, 6s26p6, 7s1

or [Rn] 7s1

2.    Because of similarity in electronic configuration, they exhibit similar properties. A regular gradation in their properties with increase in at. no. is observed due to increasing size of atoms/ions and the low binding energy of valency electrons.

3.    Of all the alkali metals, only sodium and potassium are found in abundance in nature. Francium occurs only in minute quantities as a radioactive decay product.

Physical Nature

Some important ores of alkali metals are as follows:

Lithium         :    Tiphylite, Petalite, Lepidolite, Spodumene, [LiAl(SiO3)3],     Amblygonite [Li(AIF)PO4]

Sodium        :    Chile salt petre (NaNO3), Rock slt or Sodium chloride (NaCI), Sodium sulphate (Na2SO4), Borax (Na2B4O7.10H2O),

Glauber salt (Na2SO4.10H2O), Natron (Na2CO3.HO), Soda Felspar (NaAISi3O8), Cryolite (Na3AI6) and Trona 

Potassium    :    Sylvine (KCI), carnallite (KCI.MgCI2.6H2O), Felspur (K2O.AI2O3.6SiO2), Polyhalite (K2SO4.MgSO4.CaSO4.6H2O), Indian salt 

peter (KNO3) and Kainite (KCI.MgSO4.MgCI2.3H2O).  

Rubidium     :    Lepidolite, triphylite Lithium ores contains 0.7 to 3% Rb2O.

:    Lepidolite, Pollucite contains 0.2 to 7% Cs2O

7 years ago

1. they are metallic in nature and are electropositive in nature.

2.they form ionic compounds(Li is sometimes an exception)

3.they always exhibit +ve oxidation state.

3.rock salt

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Liquation of which gaseous substance will arise as a result of momentum imbalance in electronic distribution? (1) Ammonia (g) (2) Carbon dioxide (g) (3) Na+(g) Cl–(g) (4) Xenon (gas)
But bro! the answer is not that.... Answer given is Xe...and I feel the question is taking about London dispersive forces, hence the answer may be Xe...
Giri sripathi 25 days ago
(3) option. Na+ (g) Cl- (g) as only this compounnd is inic in nature. Rest are covalent ones like NH3 , Xe(g) and CO2.
Vikas TU 25 days ago
Can u give any trick for identified metals and non metals
@ amresh metal and non metals can be easily identified in a reaction . metals have a tendency to accept the electrons generally , but non metal lacks that . metals are sonorous , ductile...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
metals are bright ie losturous ,ductile,sonorus,good conductor of heat and electricityand able to donate electron to become cation.while non-metals are non lustrous,non ductile,non...
ankit saurav 11 days ago
How to check dipole moment procedudure of dipole moment in inorganic chemistry and what method to apply
@ rahul u can calculate the dipole moment of the molecules by the following formula u = q*l where u is the dipole moment q is the magntide of either charges and l is the dipole length HOPE...
Umakant biswal 8 days ago
The no. of orientation in a shell of orbit no. 5 is
The number of orientation level is described my m values . So find it now by using it . But your question is no clear of what is 5 , so I have given you the concept , find it . HIt approve...
Drake one month ago
The no. of orientation in a shell of orbit no. 5 is(a) 5 (b) 50 (c) 25 (d) 10
The number of orientation level is described my m values . So find it now by using it . But your question is no clear of what is 5 , so I have given you the concept , find it .
Drake one month ago
Reactivity of esters towards saponification reaction which is more active 1 degree 2 or 3
@ biswajit 1 degree will be more stable . the reason is when leaving group leaves , this actually happens . if r” is the tertiary , then the inductive effect will make the charge unstable . ...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn