oxide of sodium is basic but oxide of chlorine is acidic why?

oxide of sodium is basic but oxide of chlorine is acidic why?

Grade:Upto college level

1 Answers

AKASH GOYAL AskiitiansExpert-IITD
420 Points
13 years ago

Dear charu

Sodium oxide

Sodium oxide is a simple strongly basic oxide. It is basic because it contains the oxide ion, O2-, which is a very strong base with a high tendency to combine with hydrogen ions.

Reaction with water

Sodium oxide reacts exothermically with cold water to produce sodium hydroxide solution. Depending on its concentration, this will have a pH around 14.

Reaction with acids

As a strong base, sodium oxide also reacts with acids. For example, it would react with dilute hydrochloric acid to produce sodium chloride solution.

The chlorine oxides

Chlorine forms several oxides, but the only two mentioned by any of the UK A level syllabuses are chlorine(VII) oxide, Cl2O7, and chlorine(I)oxide, Cl2O. Chlorine(VII) oxide is also known as dichlorine heptoxide, and chlorine(I) oxide as dichlorine monoxide.

Chlorine(VII) oxide

Chlorine(VII) oxide is the highest oxide of chlorine - the chlorine is in its maximum oxidation state of +7. It continues the trend of the highest oxides of the Period 3 elements towards being stronger acids.

Chlorine(VII) oxide reacts with water to give the very strong acid, chloric(VII) acid - also known as perchloric acid. The pH of typical solutions will, like sulphuric acid, be around 0.

Un-ionised chloric(VII) acid has the structure:

When the chlorate(VII) ion (perchlorate ion) forms by loss of a hydrogen ion (when it reacts with water, for example), the charge can be delocalised over every oxygen atom in the ion. That makes it very stable, and means that chloric(VII) acid is very strong.

Chloric(VII) acid reacts with sodium hydroxide solution to form a solution of sodium chlorate(VII).

Chlorine(VII) oxide itself also reacts with sodium hydroxide solution to give the same product.

Chlorine(I) oxide

Chlorine(I) oxide is far less acidic than chlorine(VII) oxide. It reacts with water to some extent to give chloric(I) acid, HOCl - also known as hypochlorous acid.

All the best.                                                          

AKASH GOYAL

iitd.akash@gmail.com

AskiitiansExpert-IIT Delhi

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free