There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   why oxygen molecule is paramagnetic in nature

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi sohail,

The order in which O2 will fill the orbitals is:

sigma2s, sigma2s*, sigma2p, sigma2p*

Two electrons can occupy each s orbital, while 6 electrons can occupy each p orbital. Following the Exclusion Principle, two electrons will fill both the 2s and 2s* orbitals, 6 electrons will fill the 2p orbital, and that leaves 2 electrons to fill the 2p* orbital. These two electrons will only partially fill this orbital, and will have parallel spins. Since the rest of the electrons are all paired, the remaining two electrons in the 2p* orbital give the diatomic molecule a net total spin (it does not matter if they are 1/2 or -1/2 spins, they will both be the same). Since there is a net spin, O2 is paramagnetic.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
How many resonance structures exist for graphite?And what are they?

Hello Himaja There are tworesonance structures exist for graphite
  img
Pankaj 5 months ago

But the answer is three

Himaja 5 months ago
106 th element belongs to which block?

It belongs to `d` block.

Naga Himanshu 2 months ago

According to electronic configuration of Seaborgium (106 element) i.e. [Rn] 7s 2 5f 1 4 6d 4 outermost orbital is ‘ d’. So from this representation we can say it belongs to ‘d’ block.

Naga Himanshu 2 months ago

its..right..but cn u explain the ans. plz....

mansi dabriwal 2 months ago
How to find wich oxide is nuteral?

By viewing the periodic table,one can predict the nature of oxides.Acidic,basic,neutral oxides show following trends- In general, the electropositive character of the oxide's central...
  img
Aarti Gupta 8 months ago

In the periodic table as you know metals are placed on left and non-metals on right.Metals show electropositive character while non metals are electronegative in character.As explained above...
  img
Aarti Gupta 6 days ago

Oxides are those chemical compounds in which one or more oxygenatoms combined with another element for e.g. Li2O.These are of different types like acidic,basic,amphoteric and neutral.Neutral...
  img
Aarti Gupta 8 months ago
In a adsorption process it is possible predict, the time for adsorbent be satured? By theorical methods

Yes, It can be predicted easily if we know the rate of adsorption. Adsorption is a first order reaction so the time of saturation can be predicted. .
  img
Gaurav 2 months ago

Thank´s Gurav... But I am not seeing how! I have a adosrbation of water vapour from a air flow 30 l/s and I know that 145 kg activate alluminium is satured over 180s whit a pressure dew...

carlos sopas 2 months ago

Thank´s Gurav... But I am not seeing how! I have a adosrbation of water vapour from a air flow 30 l/s and I know that 145 kg activate alluminium is satured over 180s whit a pressure dew...

carlos sopas 2 months ago
why lead storage battery supllies constant emf.

Batteries convert chemical energy directly to electrical energy. A battery consists of some number of voltaic cells. Each cell consists of two half-cells connected in series by a conductive...
  img
Suraj Prasad 8 months ago

look, let me make it very clear now...the electrode used is not such that it will get finish for only one reaction.... its conc. is maintained as such the electrons which is flowing will be...
  img

see emf is constantly maintaned because there is continuous supply of electrons from the redox reaction going inside the cell. i hope you got it now in simple words......
  img
Do you think we all are non living? do you think we all are non living with complex structures as we all are made up of elements working in complex manner by chemical reaction...but we...

Hello Akansha, You have asked a very good question. All the living and non-living objects are made up of the fundamental particles atoms, molecules and sub atomic particles. In a living...
  img
Pankaj 3 months ago
View all Questions »