There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   why oxygen molecule is paramagnetic in nature

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi sohail,

The order in which O2 will fill the orbitals is:

sigma2s, sigma2s*, sigma2p, sigma2p*

Two electrons can occupy each s orbital, while 6 electrons can occupy each p orbital. Following the Exclusion Principle, two electrons will fill both the 2s and 2s* orbitals, 6 electrons will fill the 2p orbital, and that leaves 2 electrons to fill the 2p* orbital. These two electrons will only partially fill this orbital, and will have parallel spins. Since the rest of the electrons are all paired, the remaining two electrons in the 2p* orbital give the diatomic molecule a net total spin (it does not matter if they are 1/2 or -1/2 spins, they will both be the same). Since there is a net spin, O2 is paramagnetic.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
the number of carbonatoms arraned linearly in CH 3 -CH 2 -CC-CH 3 will be?

there are two carbons that are linearly arranged second and third carbon from right are linear bcoz there is triple bond between them and have sp hybridiation approve if useful

ng29 one month ago

answer may be wrong in book bcoz there is no mistake in my ans i think which book are u doing

ng29 one month ago

ok thanx...i am doing ARIHANT complete success pakage for BITSAT 2015

mansi dabriwal one month ago
why are s,p,d,f block written is small letter

dear friend its just a method of representing the various orbitals. actually it is the azimuthal quantum number for l=0 we have s orbital l=1 p orbital l=2 d orbital l=3 f orbital and so on...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 months ago
The ratio of difference int he wavelengths of 1 st and 2 nd lines of lyman seres in H-like atim of difference in wavelength for 2 nd and 3 rd lines of same series is - 2.5:1 3.5:1 4,5:1...

1/λ = 1.097 x 10^7 ( 1 - 1/n^2) n=2 => 1/λ = 1.097 x 10^7(1 - 1/4) = 0.82275 x 10^7 per m => λ = 1.215 x 10^(-7) m ------------eq(1) n=3 => 1/λ = 1.097 x...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 months ago
please see attachment first then read this remaining question if the second step is rate determining step then the order od rxⁿ wrt NO is

dear friend here the second step is the rate determining step or the slowest step. Here the slowest step is the second step.So the rate will depend on the concentration of 1 power of NO...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago

Since here the cesond step is rate determing therefore thge proceed of the reaction will depend on the second step which is the slowest step. The order of the reaction will be-k[NOBr2][NO]...
  img

yes you are correct but i missed one step i told that rate =k[NOBr2][NO] But rate of formation of NOBr2=k1[NO][Br2] therefore,rate=kk1[NO]^2[Br2] Thus the rate with respect to NO will be 2...
  img
Glycerol is oxidized by bismuth nitrate to produce : oxalic acid Mesooxalic acid Glyceric acid Glyoxalic acid

Glycerol is an trihydric alcohol whose IUPAC name is propane-1, 2, 3-triol.It gives different oxidation products depending on the nature of oxidizing agent.With bismuth nitrate,it gives...
  img
Aarti Gupta 19 days ago

Thanks for the answer I'm searching for the proper soln of it....

Aditya Sharma 19 days ago
how to detect methyl alchol in a mixture of alcohols?

alcohol can be separated from methyl alcohol chemically by adding anhydrous calcium chloride which forms complex with methanol but not with alcohol.Then the crystalline complex may be...

abhimanyu 4 months ago

by using boiling point methods it boils quicker than the others

Abhishek 4 months ago
View all Questions »