Get extra R 280 off
USE CODE: MOB20

why oxygen molecule is paramagnetic in nature

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi sohail,

The order in which O2 will fill the orbitals is:

sigma2s, sigma2s*, sigma2p, sigma2p*

Two electrons can occupy each s orbital, while 6 electrons can occupy each p orbital. Following the Exclusion Principle, two electrons will fill both the 2s and 2s* orbitals, 6 electrons will fill the 2p orbital, and that leaves 2 electrons to fill the 2p* orbital. These two electrons will only partially fill this orbital, and will have parallel spins. Since the rest of the electrons are all paired, the remaining two electrons in the 2p* orbital give the diatomic molecule a net total spin (it does not matter if they are 1/2 or -1/2 spins, they will both be the same). Since there is a net spin, O2 is paramagnetic.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

what is the chemical formula of calcium carbonate?

CaCO3

A M S ARUN KRISHNA 11 months ago

the chemical formula for calcium carbonate is CaCO3. this is the formula for calcium carbonate the chemical formulas is very useful in balancing chemical equations

Gaddam Chethan 7 months ago

THE CHEMICAL FORMULA OF CALCIUM CARBONATE IS CaCO 3 .IT IS ALSO CALLED LIME STONE. IF YOU LIKE MY ANSWER PLZ APPROVE IT.

SAI SARDAR 10 months ago
The pair of electron in the given carbanion CH 3 C​​​(TRIPLE BOND)C - , is present in which orbital ?

Carbanions .i.e C - has one anion that means it has two elctrons and three bonding pairs. And every bond pairs share two electrons. Hence in total or summing up it has 6 elctrons to share...

Vikas TU 2 days ago
We all know that half filled atomic orbitals and fully filled atomic orbitals are more stable and that's why in the electronic configuration of several elements in periodic table violate...

I told dear that in lower atoms like you are saying carbon, 2s shell is very close to nucleus and hence its difficult to do the transition . 4 s is more far as compared to 2s
  img
Suraj Prasad 27 days ago

Students are always welcome :)
  img
Suraj Prasad 27 days ago

The difference of energy will obviously be there between 4s and 3d but dear imp thing is that its getting more stabilised by doing so . I hope you know about exchange energy which happens...
  img
Suraj Prasad 27 days ago
question:- carbonis found to form two oxides, which contain 42.9% and 27.3% of carbon respectively. show that these figure illustrate the law of multiple proportions.

@ prince Law of multiple proportions, statement that when two elements combine with each other to form more than one compound, the weights of one element that combine with a fixed weight of ...

Umakant biswal 15 days ago
AIPMT 2011 Q58 Please provide a detailed solution.......

Cu2+ + e -----> Cu+ (1) Cu++ e -------> Cu (2) Now, we want the equation as:- Cu2+ + 2e -----> Cu (3) which can be gained by adding 1 and 2 G1 + G2 = G3 -nFE1 – nFE2 = -nFE3...
  img
Bhavya 6 days ago
what is the difference between isomolar and equimolar

There is nothing like isomolar but it is isosmolar which is simply the emasurement of the concentration of the solute also known as osmoticconcentration. Where as equimolar means that equal ...

Vikas TU 21 hours ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 280 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts