why oxygen molecule is paramagnetic in nature

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi sohail,

The order in which O2 will fill the orbitals is:

sigma2s, sigma2s*, sigma2p, sigma2p*

Two electrons can occupy each s orbital, while 6 electrons can occupy each p orbital. Following the Exclusion Principle, two electrons will fill both the 2s and 2s* orbitals, 6 electrons will fill the 2p orbital, and that leaves 2 electrons to fill the 2p* orbital. These two electrons will only partially fill this orbital, and will have parallel spins. Since the rest of the electrons are all paired, the remaining two electrons in the 2p* orbital give the diatomic molecule a net total spin (it does not matter if they are 1/2 or -1/2 spins, they will both be the same). Since there is a net spin, O2 is paramagnetic.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
In actinides why neodymium possess high paramagnetism than other others?

ThetetragonalNd2Fe14B crystal structure has exceptionally high uniaxialmagnetocrystalline anisotropy(HA~7teslas- magnetic field strength H in A/m versus magnetic moment in A.m2).This gives...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
Why is equitorial bond angle in sf4> ch2=sf4 (double bond in b/w), trying to understand it through bent rule but unable to so far...

SF4 has a trigonal bipyramidal structure with lone pair of electron in the equatorial position.The F-S-F bond angle is 101degree. In the trigonal-bipyramidal species H2C= SF4 the H atoms are...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

Yes ,you are correct but actually what i want to tell is that greater s character of lone pair leads to lowering of equatorial bond angle(F-S-F) from 1200 to 101degree.This is due to...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

Sir, bond angle is directly proportional to s character and therefore inversely proportio al to p character?

agam goel one month ago
What is the hybridisation of Phosphorus in PH3?

for phospine it is sp3 because the hybrid was just resulted from sigma bond of the 3s orbital of the H and p orbital of the P,however, only 3 bonds will form because the remaining two...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago

sir,will the drago rule not be applied here?

vineet chatterjee 2 months ago
Sir , I cant visulize this image and understand it can you explain?

The above figure can be understand in terms of Molecular orbital theory .According to this theory the electrons are not assigned to individual bonds between atoms, but are treated as moving...
  img
Aarti Gupta 20 days ago

Thanks for your deep answer , I have more doubt from your answer i belive you will help me to get me out of it. They are Why 2P y is not participating ihere? In the statment “ . Can only PI...

Vineeth 19 days ago
in exams so many times it is asked that what is the dipole moment of dis n dis compond or 1.64 or anythng else is d dipole moment of which element...how dis will b calculted....

Please ask a particular question we will help you , i am not able to understand your quetstion completely what you want to ask, please ask the direct question.
  img
Sher Mohammad 3 months ago

Write the formula for dipole moments on your paper: |m| = d * R. In this formula, |m| stands for the absolute value of the dipole moment, meaning you will express the dipole moment as a...

dfdffdfddffd 4 months ago
View all Questions »