There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   why oxygen molecule is paramagnetic in nature

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi sohail,

The order in which O2 will fill the orbitals is:

sigma2s, sigma2s*, sigma2p, sigma2p*

Two electrons can occupy each s orbital, while 6 electrons can occupy each p orbital. Following the Exclusion Principle, two electrons will fill both the 2s and 2s* orbitals, 6 electrons will fill the 2p orbital, and that leaves 2 electrons to fill the 2p* orbital. These two electrons will only partially fill this orbital, and will have parallel spins. Since the rest of the electrons are all paired, the remaining two electrons in the 2p* orbital give the diatomic molecule a net total spin (it does not matter if they are 1/2 or -1/2 spins, they will both be the same). Since there is a net spin, O2 is paramagnetic.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
I dont find qualitative analysis chapter.Can you please say me where i can find it out?

For qualitative analysis you can refer P BAHADUR book which is given at the end of the book.
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago
sir please tell me a shotcut to get hybridisation in complex compounds.

Hybridisation of a molecule or an ion can be predicted by making use of the following formula. Number of Hybrid orbitals (H)=n =1/2[group no central atom +no of atoms attached to central...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago
Question is attached... {ALTS-10 Q47}

Here the paramagnetic nature is not due to the unpaired electron in metals’s d-orbital but due to presence of O2- in option(1) and so it is paramagnetic!!
  img
Naveen Kumar 4 months ago
H2 + I2 = 2HI (an elementary reaction)...If the volume of the container containing the gaseous mixture is increased to 2 times ,then final rate of reaction !- become 4 times 2 become ¼ th of...

rate law = k[H2][I2] when we increase the volume by 2 times the concentration becomes half. The rate of reaction becomes one fourth of the initial value. so, option (2) is correct....
  img
Ramreddy 4 months ago

H2 + I2 = 2HI As it is elementary reaction, so order=molecularity=2 rate(r1)=k[H2][I2] Now the volume is increased two times, so their concentration would be ½ of original value. so...
  img
Naveen Kumar 4 months ago
Does acetyl chloride give iodoform test?and why?

YES and NO.In some questions if heat is given then Qc is favouring forward reactions and reaction proceeds.

dev 2 months ago

YES and NO.In some questions if heat is given then Qc is favouring forward reactions and reaction proceeds.

dev 2 months ago
calculate the mole fraction of benzene in a solution containing 40% by mass of toulene.?

Yes you are correct.I made the caculation using the total mass of the mixture is 100gm According to the question if the mass of touene is 100 gm mass of benzene=40 gm moles of toluene=92/100...
  img

let the mass of the total mixture be 100gm mass of the benzene=40gm mass of the toluene =60gm molecular weight of benzene and toluene =78 and 92 mole fraction of benzene =mole of...
  img

sr but he ans is 0.638

Shriya Mehrotra 4 months ago
View all Questions »