why oxygen molecule is paramagnetic in nature

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi sohail,

The order in which O2 will fill the orbitals is:

sigma2s, sigma2s*, sigma2p, sigma2p*

Two electrons can occupy each s orbital, while 6 electrons can occupy each p orbital. Following the Exclusion Principle, two electrons will fill both the 2s and 2s* orbitals, 6 electrons will fill the 2p orbital, and that leaves 2 electrons to fill the 2p* orbital. These two electrons will only partially fill this orbital, and will have parallel spins. Since the rest of the electrons are all paired, the remaining two electrons in the 2p* orbital give the diatomic molecule a net total spin (it does not matter if they are 1/2 or -1/2 spins, they will both be the same). Since there is a net spin, O2 is paramagnetic.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
primitive vectors and primitive cell volume for a bcc lattice.

Dear student, A Bravais lattice is defined as an infinite array of discrete points generated by a set of discrete translation vectors given by: Here n i are integers and a i are known as the...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 2 months ago
May I know the techniques of drawing the lewis structure?

Lewis dot structures shows how the bonding occurs in simple molecules and polyatomic ions in terms of shared e- pairs.Basic steps for writing lewis dot stuctures are as follows:- 1.Add the...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago
HELP!!!! Please guide me how to study Periodic Classification Elements. Is it really important for Chemical Bonding? And also Do i need to cram it all up( Periodic Classification)? If yes...

yes the book you are having is very good.let me tell you chaemical bonding ,periodic table, forms the most imp part of chemistry so you shouls have a very strong command over it. only way...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
What is peroxide linkage

Hii Peroxide is a Chemical Compound; which is created by two oxygen atoms bonding together, by a single bond. Hydrogen Peroxide is most commonly thought of when a person hears peroxide....
  img
Sourabh Singh 12 days ago

Hii Peroxide is a Chemical Compound; which is created by two oxygen atoms bonding together, by a single bond. Hydrogen Peroxide is most commonly thought of when a person hears peroxide....
  img
Nishant Vora 12 days ago
The specific heat of a gas is found to be 0.075 calories at constant volume and its formula wt is 40. The atomicity of the gas would be

Sp heat of gas at constant volume is 0.075 cal/g/degC ie0.075cal is absorbed by 1g of it for 1 degree rise in temperature at constant volume. So total heat absorbed by 1g-mole of the gas is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 days ago
calculate moles of 100g of electrons

1 e - is 9.1x10 -31 kg No of electrons in 100g i.e 0.1 kg = 0.1/(9.1x10 -31 ) 6.022 x 10 23 no of electron= 1 mole .1/(9.1x10 -31 ) electrons= ( 1/(6.022 x 10 23 ) )x (.1/(9.1x10 -31 )) =...
  img
Harsh Patodia 7 days ago
View all Questions »