why oxygen molecule is paramagnetic in nature

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi sohail,

The order in which O2 will fill the orbitals is:

sigma2s, sigma2s*, sigma2p, sigma2p*

Two electrons can occupy each s orbital, while 6 electrons can occupy each p orbital. Following the Exclusion Principle, two electrons will fill both the 2s and 2s* orbitals, 6 electrons will fill the 2p orbital, and that leaves 2 electrons to fill the 2p* orbital. These two electrons will only partially fill this orbital, and will have parallel spins. Since the rest of the electrons are all paired, the remaining two electrons in the 2p* orbital give the diatomic molecule a net total spin (it does not matter if they are 1/2 or -1/2 spins, they will both be the same). Since there is a net spin, O2 is paramagnetic.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
koh is ionic or covalent

ionic

mohit yadav 11 months ago

KOH has one ionic (between K and OH) and one covalent (between O and H) bond. In a straight answer, it is ionic, remember the bond between a metal and a nonmetal is ionic. nonmetal-metal is...

Keerthi Raj 11 months ago
nacl ionic or covalent

ionic

mohit yadav 11 months ago

The bond present in NaCl is ionic.Because there is a complete transfer of elctrons from on atom to another i.e Na gives its one valance electron to Cl atom to from ionic bond.

Khandavalli Satya Srikanth 11 months ago

it is ionic because it is made up of alkali metal(can lose e- easily) and halogen(can take a e- easily).

lokesh soni 5 months ago
Which part of INORGANIC CHEMISTRY is most imp for IIT-JEE?

imp topics (1)chemical bomding and preiodic table must (2)p block element (3)coordination chemistry thanks and regards sunil kr askIITian faculty
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago

The Tempest 1.Ishabel Ross, primarily a journalist, writes about the women’s accomplishments in science, sports and literature. The essay, ‘The Extraordinary Story Of Helen Keller’ is an...

S MAHAMAD GOUSE 3 months ago
how to convert ethyne to aniline ?

first we should convert ethyne to benzene by passing through organo nickle catalyst at 70c or cu tube at 300c then from benzene we can form aniline.

muaaz yesterday
what is the colour of the light emmited when cathode rays strike zinc plate?

like a red hot colour light

wonderworld 7 months ago

red hot colour

susmitha 7 months ago

red colour

varalakshmi one month ago
I just want a book which makes me able to crack iit jee main and advance in chemistry …. please help me quickly ,.. which book i shoul buy …???

best books for chemistry(jee main and advance) physical- p bahadur and optandon inorganic-jdlee and optandon organic-morrison boyd and arihant publication
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 days ago
View all Questions »