There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   why oxygen molecule is paramagnetic in nature

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi sohail,

The order in which O2 will fill the orbitals is:

sigma2s, sigma2s*, sigma2p, sigma2p*

Two electrons can occupy each s orbital, while 6 electrons can occupy each p orbital. Following the Exclusion Principle, two electrons will fill both the 2s and 2s* orbitals, 6 electrons will fill the 2p orbital, and that leaves 2 electrons to fill the 2p* orbital. These two electrons will only partially fill this orbital, and will have parallel spins. Since the rest of the electrons are all paired, the remaining two electrons in the 2p* orbital give the diatomic molecule a net total spin (it does not matter if they are 1/2 or -1/2 spins, they will both be the same). Since there is a net spin, O2 is paramagnetic.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
I dont find qualitative analysis chapter.Can you please say me where i can find it out?

For qualitative analysis you can refer P BAHADUR book which is given at the end of the book.
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
Coordination no. Shown by cyclobutadiene???? Pls answr......

The salt [K([18]crown-6){Cp*Fe(η4-C4py4)}] (K1, py = 2-pyridyl, Cp* = C5Me5) is accessible by the reaction of an iron(0) naphthalene precursor and bis(2-pyridyl)acetylene. Cyclic...
  img
Suraj Prasad 5 months ago
Plz explain me what are azide compounds???

Azideis theanionwith the formula N3−. It is theconjugate baseofhydrazoic acid(HN3). N3−is a linear anion that isisoelectronicwithCO2andN2O. Pervalence bond theory, azide can be...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
What are Optically Pure Compounds and using them explain the role of Amines as “RESOLVING AGENTS” to seperaty the Recemic Forms of Acidic Compounds by formation of DIASTEREOMERIC Salts.

A compound is optically pure if it contains only one enantiomer. You can use polarized light to determine the optical purity. A chiral amines can be used to resolve a racemic mixture of...
  img
Harishwar 5 months ago
list of all name reactions

here naming all the reactions are not possible.But you canfind the list of all name reaction in a very good book called -““Reactions,rearrangement and reagents”.-Organic...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
Can you please suggest a good book for physical chemistry level of iit jee ?

yes my dear friend very simple and you can have excellent command over physical chemistry step (1)read ncert ( 2)read optandon simultaneously with ncert chapter (3)solve problem from...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago

what you say about ananya ganguly?

harit 6 months ago
View all Questions »