why oxygen molecule is paramagnetic in nature

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi sohail,

The order in which O2 will fill the orbitals is:

sigma2s, sigma2s*, sigma2p, sigma2p*

Two electrons can occupy each s orbital, while 6 electrons can occupy each p orbital. Following the Exclusion Principle, two electrons will fill both the 2s and 2s* orbitals, 6 electrons will fill the 2p orbital, and that leaves 2 electrons to fill the 2p* orbital. These two electrons will only partially fill this orbital, and will have parallel spins. Since the rest of the electrons are all paired, the remaining two electrons in the 2p* orbital give the diatomic molecule a net total spin (it does not matter if they are 1/2 or -1/2 spins, they will both be the same). Since there is a net spin, O2 is paramagnetic.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is valency of florine

valecy is 1

mohit yadav one year ago

Fluorine has a valency of only -1. And has no other oxidation states due to small size and absence of d orbitals to expand its oxidation state.

Aabel one year ago

florine have one electron to stable valency elctrons are 7

naresh masaboina one year ago
Plz plz help me.i’m so confused……it’s urgent NCERT question ; On the basis of quantum numbers, justify that the sixth period of the periodic table should have 32 elements.?? Plzzzz help...

For ,n(principal quantum no.) = 6 The values of azimuthal quantum no. will be,l = 0,1,2,3,4,5 and not 6 as value of l = 0 to n-1 now sixth period starts with the filling of 6s orbital (n =...
  img
Aarti Gupta 9 days ago
sir please tell me a shotcut to get hybridisation in complex compounds.

Hybridisation of a molecule or an ion can be predicted by making use of the following formula. Number of Hybrid orbitals (H)=n =1/2[group no central atom +no of atoms attached to central...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
View all Questions »