Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

arrange the following in order of their increasing size......Cl^-   S^2- , Ca^2+ , Ar ........according to me the answer should be.....Ca

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

hello nisha ...

These type of compounds are termed as inert pair ...because all the compund has an innert pair confugration..

Cl- = 18 e-

S2- = 18 e-

Ca+2 = 18 e-

Ar = 18 e-

When such condition arrises ..then the compound having more negative charge will have higher size and vice versa ....coz ...since negative charge on compond increases ..the repulsion between electron of outermost shell and the charge on the compound increases..which leads to increade in the atomic radius..and thus affect the size...

So order is

Ca+2 < Ar < Cl- < S2-   

I hope it is clear now

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

How to find the magnetic moment of a coordination compound
@ anjana u can find out the magnetic moment of a coordination compound by the foillwoing formula u = root over of n (n+2 ) BM where u stands for magnetic moment n is the no of unpair...
Umakant biswal 6 days ago
Explain in detail , ortho and para hydrogen. And also its % dependency on temp.
ortho are the postions adjacent to the substituents and the para position is the straght view position for any molecule benzene.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
How bond dissociation energy depends on mass of isotopes i.e. neutron??
All this can be understood via Einstein’s mass enrgy relation. that is E = mc^2. thus the nucleus consists protons and neutrons both there is a major role of neutron in bond dissociation...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Monochromatic radiation of wavelength λ is incident on a hydrogen sample in ground state.Hydrogen atoms absorb a fraction of light and subsequently emit radiation of six different...
from the eqn. for ground state n(n-1)/2 = 6 n^2 – n – 12 = 0 n^2 – 4n + 3n – 12 = 0 (n-4) (n+3) = 0 n = 4 Therfore, 1/ λ = R*1^2(1/1^2 – 1/4^2) 1/ λ = R*(1 – 1/16) => 15R/16 λ = 16/15R =...
Vikas TU 26 days ago
IN an experiment 500 ml of 0.01 M of kmno4 solution is added to 500 ml of KI solution in basic medium.The resultant solution was titrated with 0.015 M na2s2o3 solution using starch...
On reaction. KmnO4 will reduce to MnO2 and KI to I2. moles of Mn x v.f = moles of I2 x v.f 0.01*500 x 3 = mmoles x 1 millimoles = 15 mm. after then, the titration with Na2S2O3 , Na2S2O3 +...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i am not getting the correct sorry i am really sorry my question was wrong ki has 0.1 M THEN HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO IT NOW
Iswarya Mahati 2 months ago
why cynide are use during preparation of benzoin from bezaldehyde
Dear student Cyanide is used in benzoin condensation as :- 1.It is a very good nucleophile 2.It is also a very good leaving group.
Bhavya one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn