1.how to determine the hybridisation from pie bonds or sigma bonds 2.what is a triatomic molecule? 3.why does phosphine have lower melting point than ammonia? 4.although i3- is konown ,f3- is not why? nacl gives a white precipitate with agno3 but ccl4 or chcl3 does not...plzzz explain!! i would be really thankfull if you wud clear my doubts asap!

1.how to determine the hybridisation from pie bonds or sigma bonds

2.what is a triatomic molecule?

3.why does phosphine have lower melting point than ammonia?

4.although i3- is konown ,f3- is not why?

nacl gives a white precipitate with agno3 but ccl4 or chcl3 does not...plzzz explain!!

i would be really thankfull if you wud clear my doubts asap!

Grade:

1 Answers

Askiitians_Expert Yagyadutt
askIITians Faculty 74 Points
13 years ago

Hii nishad ..

Hybridisation is actually not only determined by sigma and pie bonds..there are many defination to find out hybridisation of compound ...well i will tell you with example

Electron               Hybridisation

2                                 sp

3                                sp2

4                                sp3

5                                sp3d

6                                sp3d3

NH3                          H  --N(--H) -- H   so here we have three sigma bond...and one lone pair on N   so 3 + 1 = 4

so hybridisation = sp3

PCl5   here phoshphorus has 5 electron in outer most shell..5 Cl combines with all and form 5 sigma bond ..

so ..it gives  sp3d .

NO2+    N + has outer most e- = 4  two oxygen combines with four electron making two double bond ..

So we have total bond = 4   hence hybridisation sp3

2) I3-  is term as triatomic...with three I atoms combined each other two form a compund

3) Amonia exibits hydrogen Bonding ....

4) Because size of F is very small as compared to I ....thats why triatomic and negative charge leads to a larger repulsion in case of F ....hence F3- is not possible

5)

In case CCl4 ...Cl is in stable state and there is no chance that bond will break between C and Cl...so no chance of formation of AGcl when mixed with AgNO3

In case ChCl3...instead of Cl  ...Bond of C-H breaks out due to stability of C-cl3 (resonace)..which leads  no precipitation of AgCl ...

In case of NaCl....it breaks in Na+ and Cl-  and finally Cl- combines with AgNo3...and precipitate of AgCl is formed

I hope i have explained it

Yagya

askiitians_expert

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free