Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

What is the difference between the MO diagrams for Nitrogen and Oxygen?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Dinitrogen, N2, is well known, it has a bond order of three, and it has HOMO + LUMO FMOs:

Before we can consider two oxygen atoms reacting to give dioxygen, O2, it should be noted that there is a slight reordering of the MO energy levels.

The σ 2px bonding MO is lower in energy than the π 2py and π 2pz MOs. And, correspondingly, the σ* 2px MO rises in energy above the π* 2py and π* 2pz MOs.

The result is that dioxygen, O2, is a diradical.

Oxygen, O2, is a well known, stable, diradical, bond order 2.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Why does Wurtz reaction wont work with odd number of carbon atoms? Please elaborate. Thanks.
It is not that wutz reaction does not work with odd number it works but a lot of products are formed and you cannot separate the products thus you dont get the desired product
Biswajit dash 24 days ago
please tell thatHow shielding effect varies across periodic table? pls answer quickly.............
@ shivesh what u need to understand is that shielding or screening effect means when the shell between the nucleaus and the valence electrons are increased , in that case nucleaus is not...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Me3N is pyramidal but(SiH3)3N is planar. Explain Why?
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding..Hence SP3 hybridised “N” so ,pyramidal.While vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant ‘d’)hence SP 2...
Pranav Dabhade 11 days ago
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding .Hence SP 3 hybridised “N” so pyramidal.Whilehybridised “N” hence planer. 2 vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant...
Pranav Dabhade 11 days ago
IN an experiment 500 ml of 0.01 M of kmno4 solution is added to 500 ml of KI solution in basic medium.The resultant solution was titrated with 0.015 M na2s2o3 solution using starch...
On reaction. KmnO4 will reduce to MnO2 and KI to I2. moles of Mn x v.f = moles of I2 x v.f 0.01*500 x 3 = mmoles x 1 millimoles = 15 mm. after then, the titration with Na2S2O3 , Na2S2O3 +...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i am not getting the correct sorry i am really sorry my question was wrong ki has 0.1 M THEN HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO IT NOW
Iswarya Mahati 2 months ago
find n; log(17/11)=(1-n)log(35/54) i know u can do it with calculators tell me the correct steps. thanks
Dear Priyesh, Sharing personal information and contact details is strictly not allowed on this forum. Please make sure that you must follow forum guidelines else your account will be...
Forum Team one month ago
Contact me on WhatsApp for answer. Dont forget to approve view ucckcbzdlgkdkgjzkgkxjblvhxlbgvphhxvhxjuzvcfxkbuxjbixhvkxxkchzivjzvxhckcgclvyxohuzyfi
priyesh dixit 2 months ago
Concepts map for general organic chemistry class11 and full nomenclatue organic compound with rule
For detail explaination about the chapter and Mind map (which is the flow chart of the chapter with all the imp concepts and formula) Check more about this package here...
Nishant Vora 3 months ago
@ manish You can refer to the askiitian study material and revision notes for that , the mindmaps alongwith every name reaction and mechanism is listed their , also the nomenclature rule ....
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn