Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

Explain pointwise the anamalous behaviour of Fluorine.

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear ajay,

Anomalous Behaviour of Fluorine
Fluorine differs from rest of the members of its group because of its small size, high electro negativity and non availability of d orbitals in the valence shell.

1. The oxidation state of F in its compound is always –1 while other elements exhibit a large number of oxidation states (–1, +1, +3, +5, +6, +7).

2. Fluorine is the most reactive among halogens due to its low bond enthalpy. The latter arises due to the larger repulsion between the nonbonding electrons in the compact molecule.

3. Fluorine is the strongest oxidizing agent due to its high values of electro negativity and electron affinity.

4. Fluoride exhibits a large tendency to form complex ions ([AlF6]3–,[FeF6]3–) due to its small size. The other halides have much less tendency towards this complexation.

5. In its compound with hydrogen, it exhibits extensive hydrogen bondings.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

In coordination complex compounds when does nh3 acts as strong ligand
@ kumar in spectrochemical series the ligands are arrenged in their increasing delta value towards a metal ion . as the charge on the metal ion will increase the magnitude of delta alos...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Explain in detail , ortho and para hydrogen. And also its % dependency on temp.
ortho are the postions adjacent to the substituents and the para position is the straght view position for any molecule benzene.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Why does an orbital can accommodate two electrons only?
Why does an s-orbital accommodate two electrons only? The Exclusion Principle only allows two electrons in an orbital. A wave must have a crest and a trough per period. An electron in ground...
dolly bhatia one month ago
@ ramachandram the no of electron that can be accomdated by an orbital is restricted by pauli exclusion principle . acc to his theory the two electron exist in a orbital , then that must...
Umakant biswal one month ago
why nature favours crystalline solids ? what is meant by anisotropic and isotropic character of solids ?
Because it forms the crystal lattice which can extends in all directions. Isotrophics are those which has all the properties same in all the respective directions Anistropics are those...
Vikas TU 25 days ago
Electronic transistion in He + ion takes place from n 1 to n 2 shell such that: 2n 2 +3n 1 =18 2 n 2 -3n1=6 What will be the totalno. of photons emitted when electron transit to n1 shell?
Dear Mudit, Remmeber these two formulaes: 1) Maximum no. of photons they eemits if they return to ground state is: n(n-1)/2 2) And for n2 to n1 level, formmulae is: (n2-n1)(n2-n1+1)/2 gives ...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
By solving I got n1=2 and n2=6 By applying the formula I got the answer 1 while the answer given in book is 10. So help me out with this.
Mudit 2 months ago
Solve both the eqns. and get the value of n1 and n2. Then to know total number of photons to n1 state, Apply the fomulae: n1(n1-1)/2
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Functions of various reagents used in organic chemistry problems.
Sir, actually at present i am solving class 12th "haloalkanes, and haloarenes". so i need the list of reagents and their functions from this chapter. But as i would further solve the next...
Apar 15 days ago
@ apar there are a lot of reagents are avaliable as far as the whole organic chemistry are concerned . so, kindly tell me of which chapter u need the list of reagents . so, that i can...
Umakant biswal 18 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn