Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

is primary valence same as oxidation number.if so if it satisfies secondary valence as well how can we say it is ionisable?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear isha,

Werner put forward this theory to explain various properties of co-ordination compounds. Some important points about this theory are:

1. The central metal atom in complex has two types of valencies, one is Primary valency and Second is Secondary valency.

2. The primary valencies indicate the oxidation state of the central metal atom while the secondary valency indicate about the co-ordination number of the metal atom.

3. Primary valencies are ionizable whereas secondary valencies non-ionizable.

4. Primary valencies are satisfied by Negative ions while secondary ions are satisfed by neutral or -ve groups.

5. In complexes, the ligands are projected in space about the central metal atom to give a specific shape to the complex.

6. Complexes also possess the property of exchange of ions. Ions outside ionization sphere can easily come inside the sphere and bond with the central metal atom losing their ionic character and gaining co-ordinate covalent character or vice-versa.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum..

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Q. Which Has Maximum Equilibrium Molarity Of Sodium Ion In 0.1M Aqueous Solution(assume 100% Ionisation)? 1.Sodium Oxalate 2.sodium Orthophosphate 3.sodium Metaphosphate 4.Sodium Bicarbonate
Sodium Oxalate = > Na2(C2O4) => Molarity of Na would be=> 2 * 0.1 => 0.2 M sodium Bicarbonate => Na(HCO3) => Molarity would be => 1*0.1 = 0.1 M. Sodium orthophosphete => Na3(PO4) => 3 * 0.1 ...
2017 years ago
Please provide all the formulaes used in Equilibrium chapter . I have gone through the study material thoroughly but not able to get what I needed. So please mention all the formulas used in...
@ sahil for formula u have to visit our revision notes section , not the study material section , and i am sure all of the formula will must be enlisted their . and just go through the...
2017 years ago
what are isodiaphers? please help
these are the atoms of different elements which possess the same isotopic excessisotopic excess=no. of neutrons(n)-no. of protons(p)
2017 years ago
The total mass of 1 mole of electrons is ?(Mass of 1electron=9.1*1o-28g)
MASS OF I MOLE ELECTRON=MASS OF 6.022X10 23 ELECTRONS Mass of 1electron=9.1*1o-28g hence mass of 6.022X10 23 ELECTRONS = 9.1*1o-28gx 6.022X10 23
bhavika 3 months ago
among which of the following compounds has maximum no of sp-hybridized C atomsa) (CN)2b) CH=C=CH-CNc) HCtriplebondC―CH2CH2=C=C=CH2d) HCtriple bond C―CN
HCtriplebondC―CH2CH=C=C=CH2 has highest number of sp hybridized Carbon atoms. one triple bonded and two double bonded woth no hydrogens.
Vikas TU 6 days ago
But the answer is given HC triple bond C―CN...................……… ……………………………………… …………………………….................................
Vaibhavi 5 days ago
which is the strongest base WITH explanation CH​3 ---CO----OH CF3----CO---OH CH3-----CH2---CO---OH CCl-----CO---OH
CH 3 -----CH 2 ---CO---OH should be the strongest base as ethyl group woul show highes + I effect as compare to other options. CF3 AND CCl3 would show -I effect hence restricting the basic...
2017 years ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn