ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

the smaller the size of the cation and larger the size of the anion, greater the covelent charater of an ionic bond.

why, explain me please.

4 years ago

Answers : (2)

DEAR Ravi ,

In case of ions , we associate polarising power of cation and polarisability of anion , which are the power of cation to distort the anions electronic cloud and power of anion to get distorted . The whole process is like that of electrical induction. the cation pulls the electronic cloud of anion to itself so that the elctron pair on anion is shared between two as in the covalent bond. Now greater the charge density on cation greater is its polarising power and correspondingly for anion. so bond become more and more covalent with smaller size of action and larger size of anion.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

4 years ago

Due to greater concentration of positive charge on a small area, the smaller size of cation has high polarising power, so greater the ionic character of an ionic bond. While larger size of the anion, the greater is its polarisability. It is due to the fact that the outer electrones of a large anion are losely held and hence can be more easily pulled out by the cation.and greater the ionic character of an ionic bond.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
How to learn Inorganic chem it is so vast? Can u please tell me a method learn inorganic chem for jee advance and Boards?

Hello Student Inorganic Chemistry is in fact the easiest one among the organic, inorganic and physical chemistry. It is very simple and most of the questions based on this are direct. All...
  img
Gaurav 3 months ago
Why hydration of metals ar compounds is exothermic reaction ?, Also I need the reason from the moicular structure.

Hello Student, Hydration is the process of solvation of an ion by water molecules. When metals are dissolved in water , they get ionized and the cation formed undergo hydration. Hydration of...
  img
Gaurav 3 months ago
What is the difference between didentate ligand and ambidentate ligand?

Bidentate ligand A bidentate ligand has two points at which it can attach to the central atom. One example of such a ligand is: oxalate ion The two single-bonded oxygen atoms can each donate...
  img
Raheema Javed 4 months ago

Didentate or Bidentate ligands are the logands which makes bonds with the metal ion in two places. It make two bonds with two different portion of its structure. Ambidentate ligands are the...
  img
Aziz Alam 5 months ago

a bidentate is one which combines from 2 different sites simultaneously....but ambidentae is one which can combine from 2 sites but at a time only one site can combine(ambidentate ar...
  img
Harishwar 5 months ago
In CROSS ALDOL CONDENSATION, as in the picture , I think instead of “ 2-Methylpen-2-ene ” it should form “ hex-3-enal ” and instead of “ 2-methylbut-2-enal ” it should form “ pent-3-enal ”....

In aldol condensation reaction in aldehyde group electrons shift towards oxygen atom and carbon gets +ve charge. In another aldehyde group alpha-hydrogen is lost and alpha carbon gets -ve...

Himaja 4 months ago

the actual answer given in the attatchement is what you get from self aldol but that is not major product , the major product that you get is 2-methyl but-2-en-1-al.

daksh 4 months ago
According to ideal gas, no. of moles are directly propotional to temperature at constant pressure and volume.. But i didnt got how can be the no. of moles increase with increase in...

PV = nRT P , R & V are Constant, So nT= constant, So it will be inversely propotional.
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago

Ok ok srry inversely propotinal but still how can no. of moles change by change in temperature the mass remains conserved always

Keshav one month ago
The rate of first-order reaction is 0.04 mol/L/sec at 10 minutes and 0.03mol/L/sec at 20 minutes after initiation.Find the half-life of the reaction.

half-life of the reaction.
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago

THANKS SIR....!!

bharat makkar 7 months ago
View all Questions »