the smaller the size of the cation and larger the size of the anion, greater the covelent charater of an ionic bond.

why, explain me please.

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

DEAR Ravi ,

In case of ions , we associate polarising power of cation and polarisability of anion , which are the power of cation to distort the anions electronic cloud and power of anion to get distorted . The whole process is like that of electrical induction. the cation pulls the electronic cloud of anion to itself so that the elctron pair on anion is shared between two as in the covalent bond. Now greater the charge density on cation greater is its polarising power and correspondingly for anion. so bond become more and more covalent with smaller size of action and larger size of anion.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

3 years ago

Due to greater concentration of positive charge on a small area, the smaller size of cation has high polarising power, so greater the ionic character of an ionic bond. While larger size of the anion, the greater is its polarisability. It is due to the fact that the outer electrones of a large anion are losely held and hence can be more easily pulled out by the cation.and greater the ionic character of an ionic bond.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
BOHR SAID THAT THE ELECTRONS REVOLVE IN CIRCULAR PATH AND SOME OTHER IS SAYING SOME OTHER THINGS I AM CONFUSED CANU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT IS IT..AND HOW ELECTRON REVOLVES AROUND THE...

it is only electrons which move around nucleus as centrifugal and coloumb`s force balance each other.hereby making it to move it with constant velocity

vinayak 5 months ago

electrons revolve around the nuclues in circulars orbits only bcoz bohrs explained it clearly ......

Navin rockzzz 8 months ago

hai

Ramarao 8 months ago
Hi I have one doubt in chemistry. That is Is rection of NaOH with water is exothermic ?

It is not actually exothermic reaction as there will be no formation of products .But heat evolves because of the formation of spheres of H with OH and OH of water with Na.

ARPITHA 8 months ago

Thank u for giving me the answer.

KARRI ANANTHA 8 months ago
SIR CAN I KNOW WHICH BOOK IS BEST FOR INORGANIC CHEMISTRY FOR JEE(MAIN & ADVANCED)? IS J.D LEE OR OP TANDON GOOD ENOUGH?

for inorganic chemistry you can refer balaji publications inorganic chemistry book

kasula vineeth 13 days ago
Sir please help me balance this equation- Cr(oh)3+IO3^-1-------->I-+CrO4^2-(in basic medium) by ion electron method. Sir it is written in my book to first balance all the atoms other that o...

Cr(OH)3(s) +IO3(-)(aq) -->CrO4(-2)(aq) + I(-)(aq) remember in basic medium firstbalancing of oxidation number then balancing of O atom.Balancing of O atom is made by using H2O and OH-...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 days ago
i find electrochem most difficult...n i cannot evn write half cell reactions .... plz help me.....

to understand electrochemistry one must study redox reactions (a topic of 11th physical chemistry) very well.in which points like oxidation and reduction ,balencing of reactions by ionic and...
  img
Kamlesh Kumar 5 months ago

Your most welcome .to find out which element will act as anode & which as cathode.if you remember electrochemical series then for e.g if two elements like Cr and Pb are given then Cr will...
  img
Kamlesh Kumar 5 months ago

okk sir ...thank u sir .....one more doubt sir....i m confused in studying different galvanic cells....and m nt understanding the representation of cell reaction of galvanic cell ....plzzzz...

raghasri raghavan 5 months ago
What is the difference between sucrose, fructose and sugar?

Carbohydrates are classified into three main groups- 1 .Monosaccharides – These are known as simple sugars, as such carbohydrates cannot be broken into smaller units upon...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 days ago
View all Questions »