the smaller the size of the cation and larger the size of the anion, greater the covelent charater of an ionic bond.

why, explain me please.

4 years ago

Answers : (2)

DEAR Ravi ,

In case of ions , we associate polarising power of cation and polarisability of anion , which are the power of cation to distort the anions electronic cloud and power of anion to get distorted . The whole process is like that of electrical induction. the cation pulls the electronic cloud of anion to itself so that the elctron pair on anion is shared between two as in the covalent bond. Now greater the charge density on cation greater is its polarising power and correspondingly for anion. so bond become more and more covalent with smaller size of action and larger size of anion.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

4 years ago

Due to greater concentration of positive charge on a small area, the smaller size of cation has high polarising power, so greater the ionic character of an ionic bond. While larger size of the anion, the greater is its polarisability. It is due to the fact that the outer electrones of a large anion are losely held and hence can be more easily pulled out by the cation.and greater the ionic character of an ionic bond.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
why the structure of H2S2O5 is NOT as shown??(#attachment)

Sulfur forms number of oxoacids.Sulfur oxoacids are those chemical compounds that contain sulfur, oxygen and hydrogen.H2S2O5 known as disulfurous acid .In this compound,sulphur shows two...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago
Why Eu ropium shows a sudden increase in atomic radius. (At. Radius of Sm = 180pm , Eu = 199pm and Gd = 180 pm)?

Actually there is confusion in you.The atomic radius which I found was all the same for the three element as 180 pm. Lets see,there is a decrease in atomic radius There is a decrease in the...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

@Sunil Kumar FP Go to this link and check Table 8.9 on pg.229 ncertbooks.prashanthellina.com/class_12.Chemistry.ChemistryI/8.pdf

Shibashis Mallik one month ago
explain how coordination compound exhi colour and what will be the colour if yellow region colour wavelength is observed by the coordination compound?

Coordination compounds shows many properties among which,exhibiting colour is one of them.These compounds are of various colours.The reason for showing different colours is that transition...
  img
How to draw resonance structure for p- hydroxybenzoic acid and m- hydroxybenzoic acid?

Go through the following Resonance structure of Benzoic acid and draw a similar analysis when hydroxy group is added to the Benzoic acid
  img
Harishwar 2 months ago
if the solubility product of BaSO 4 is 1.5*10 -10 in water. It’s solubility , in moles per litre is

BaSO4 ionises to give – BaSO4 Ba 2+ + SO 4 2-- Suppose solubility of BaSO4 is s mol/l.It would give s mol/l of Ba2+ ions and s mol/l of SO4 2- ions on dissociation. Now, solubility...
  img

BaSO4<............>Ba+..+..SO4- C........................0...........0.......(intially) C-s.....................s..............s........(at equilibrium) where s is the...
  img
Naveen Kumar one month ago
Sir please help me balance this equation- Cr(oh)3+IO3^-1-------->I-+CrO4^2-(in basic medium) by ion electron method. Sir it is written in my book to first balance all the atoms other that o...

Step-I : Write the two halves ; one the reduction-half and the other oxidation-half. Cr(OH) 3. ............>CrO 4 2- ...........................(i) oxidation-half IO 3 - .............
  img
Naveen Kumar 29 days ago
View all Questions »