the smaller the size of the cation and larger the size of the anion, greater the covelent charater of an ionic bond.

why, explain me please.

4 years ago

Answers : (2)

DEAR Ravi ,

In case of ions , we associate polarising power of cation and polarisability of anion , which are the power of cation to distort the anions electronic cloud and power of anion to get distorted . The whole process is like that of electrical induction. the cation pulls the electronic cloud of anion to itself so that the elctron pair on anion is shared between two as in the covalent bond. Now greater the charge density on cation greater is its polarising power and correspondingly for anion. so bond become more and more covalent with smaller size of action and larger size of anion.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

4 years ago

Due to greater concentration of positive charge on a small area, the smaller size of cation has high polarising power, so greater the ionic character of an ionic bond. While larger size of the anion, the greater is its polarisability. It is due to the fact that the outer electrones of a large anion are losely held and hence can be more easily pulled out by the cation.and greater the ionic character of an ionic bond.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is le chatelier's principle??? Explain in brief..

A statement of Le Chatelier's Principle If a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium moves to counteract the change. Using Le...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 days ago
which hydride of chalcogen has a lowest boiling point.why?

Hydrogen Sulphide has lowest boiling point because it has very low intermolecular attraction forces. Hydrogen sulfide does not have hydrogen bonding since sulfur has a low electronegativity....
  img
GAURAV SINGH 6 months ago

out of all hydrides of chalcogens H 2 S has lowest boiling point due to absence of hydrogen bonding and gaseous nature( having weak intermolecular forces). thanks&regards askiitians...
  img
Kamlesh Kumar 6 months ago
HELP!!!! Please guide me how to study Periodic Classification Elements. Is it really important for Chemical Bonding? And also Do i need to cram it all up( Periodic Classification)? If yes...

yes the book you are having is very good.let me tell you chaemical bonding ,periodic table, forms the most imp part of chemistry so you shouls have a very strong command over it. only way...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 13 days ago
How to find a Molucular formula of a gas using Euidometry? 1) 20ml of gas containing H and S was heated with tin. When reaction was over, no change in volume was observed. Hydrogen was the...

Eudiometry:-Eudiometry means gas analysis. It means in this type of numericals either you have to find out vol. of GAS From the data given in question or you have to find out any other thing...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 21 days ago
I want to knw easy logic to find number of isomers of C7H9N

Toluidine 1-amino-2-methylorortho-toluidine 1-amino-3-methylormeta-toluidine 1-amino-4-methylorp-toluidine, Lutidine 2,3-dimethylpyridineor 2,3-lutidine 2,4-dimethylpyridineor 2,4-lutidine...
  img
Sher Mohammad one month ago
increasing order of enol content, CH3COCH2COCH3, CH3COCH3, CH3CHO, CH3COCOCH3.

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Increasing order of enol form:- CH3CHO<CH3COCH3<CH3COCOCH3<CH3COCH2COCH3 Thanks & Regards Aarti Gupta askiitians Faculty
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

Maam can you please tell me the reason for this?

Samrat 3 months ago

bta do yaar

Samrat 3 months ago
View all Questions »