Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

The Answering Person,

According to recent definations:

the numerical value of a substance's molecular or atomic mass in atomic mass units is the same as that of its molar mass (the mass of one mole of that substance) in grams. So My question is : Is the Atomicmassunit (amu) nothing but grms/mol?

Please justify and explain a little bit about mole concept with an example as I am Having a difficulty even after having a class on it.

Please consider and oblige

Thanks a lot

6 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Neel

In general molar mass is considered to be relative or average atomic mass. That means if any molecule has isotopes its average atomic mass is considered to be weighted mean of all of them.But atomic mass is only for a single isotope.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.we will get you the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

All the best.

Askiitians Experts
Prudhvi Teja

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitia

6 years ago

So amu is nothing but grms/mol?

6 years ago

A dozen means 12.

A paper ream means 500 sheets.

Similarly, in chemistry, mole means 6.023 x 10 23   particles: they may be atomic or molecular or ionic.

The mass of  6.023 x 10 23   atoms turns out to be the atomic mass expressed in grams- called gram atom. So one mole of He is 4 grams or gram atom of He is of 4g.

The mass of  6.023 x 10 23   molecules turns out to be the molecular mass expressed in grams-called gram molecule. So one mole of H2O is of 18 grams.

So, the amount of a substance in grams that is numerically same as atomic weight or molecular weight  expressed in amu is called as a mole.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Me3N is pyramidal but(SiH3)3N is planar. Explain Why?
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding..Hence SP3 hybridised “N” so ,pyramidal.While vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant ‘d’)hence SP 2...
Pranav Dabhade 10 days ago
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding .Hence SP 3 hybridised “N” so pyramidal.Whilehybridised “N” hence planer. 2 vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant...
Pranav Dabhade 10 days ago
what is hybridisation of free radical cl03 ? .. and how can i find the hybridisation of free radicals like ch3, cf3, no2...
@ anubhav the hybridisation in chlorate is sp3 . clo ^ 3- have 3 bond pairs and 1 loan pair ifu can calculate acc to the VSEPR theory . it is of the type AB3E . it has trigonal pyramidal...
Umakant biswal one month ago
sir, what is the hybridisation of cl03 free radical and not clo3-.... ch3 has sp2 hybridisation bt cf3 has sp3 hybridisation.. jst like this i want to knw if there’s any kind of exception...
anubhav one month ago
How to draw resonating structures of an irorganic molecule.
@ mahak let me to frst define resonance for you . its the property of compound having the charecteristics of two or more structural forms and they differ only in the distribution of...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
some rules need to be followed while drawing the resonating structures. if there is a multiple pi bond between the alternate atoms. lone pair – lone pair adjacent. charge – double/triple...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
What are tranquilizers? Give example...................?
Narcotic analgesics are addictive drugs. They are derivatives of opium. These are used for the relief of severe pains such as post operative pain, cardiac pain, cancer pain E.g.: Morphine,...
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
TRANQUILIZERS are a class of chemical compunds used for the treatment of stress and mild or severe mental diseases. These form an essential component of sleeping pills...
somprasad 3 months ago
A tranquilizer is a drug that acts on the central nervous system and is used to calm, decrease anxiety, or help a person to sleep. Often called depressants because they suppress the central ...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
How can we compare the dipole moment of CCl4 and CH2Cl2
@ apoorv in the case of ccl4 , they have tetrahedral shape and they are symmetric , so, they have dipole moment as 0 . in ch2cl2 the polarity vectors of two H atoms add up to cl atoms but...
Umakant biswal 29 days ago
The boiling point of para isomer is quite higher than that of ortho or meta isomers. This is due to the fact that it has a symmetrical structure and therefore, its molecules can easily pack...
Rohit Kundu one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn