I don’t have much interest in Chemistry, specially organic and its very difficult to understand. I’m not sure how will I be able to crack the entrance without it. please help!

I don’t have much interest in Chemistry, specially organic and its very difficult to understand. I’m not sure how will I be able to crack the entrance without it. please help!

Grade:12

2 Answers

Saurabh Kumar
askIITians Faculty 2400 Points
8 years ago
Chemistry is the most scoring subject among PCM, in which students can get 100% if their concepts are strong. Most of the questions are easy in JEE Examination from chemistry section.

Students should follow these steps, so that they can score good marks.

Step 1 – All three parts are very important

Always remember, all three parts of chemistry are interconnected, you can’i ignore any part. You should have strong hold on each part if you wanna score good marks in this subject.

Start with Physical chemistry and only after that start inorganic and organic section.

Step 2 – Periodic table should be always in your mind

If you are just starting chemistry, I will suggest you to past a large size poster of periodic table in your study room. Periodic table of elements is very very important.

You can also try some tricks for periodic table as given here

Step 3 – Try to understand complete reaction mechanism

Don’t ever try to remember any reaction, this is not a good practice. Try to understand complete mechanism behind each and every reaction. Specially for organic chemistry this is very important to completely understand mechanism of reactions.

Step 4 – In physical chemistry, be thorough with all the formulas of chemical bonding, equilibrium, kinetics, and radioactivity. Solving a lot of problems in physical chemistry helps. Have an analytical, stoichiometric approach to all problems.

Step 5 – For inorganic section give extra attention to d,f-block elements and co-ordination compunds

Most of the questions that come from p and s block elements are easy to solve. I will suggest you to pay extra attention to co-ordination compounds and d-block elements. For more information read this article.

Step 6 – Make your personal notes

This is not important only for chemistry but for all subjects if you are seriously preparing for JEE examination
Saurabh Kumar
askIITians Faculty 2400 Points
8 years ago
Chemistry is one such subject which can assure you guaranteed marks in IIT JEE if you have prepared well. Most of the topics in chemistry are not very much twisted and get tested directly. For example most of the students do not pay much attention to topics like:- s, p, d blocks, transition elements, surface chemistry, coordination compounds, gaseous state, nuclear chemistry, chemical equilibrium and stereo-chemistry. These topics are not only easy but do get questions in IIT JEE Chemistry papers every year and hence are very scoring but still students do neglect them.

Scoring in Chemistry is more about planning than about application and understanding of concepts.
Certain topics like organic chemistry are pretty much like mathematics and physics as far as IIT JEE is concerned as it relies on testing of concepts and questions are always framed considering multiple concepts together. Unlike organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry is directly opposite as all questions asked are always direct and do not need much application. Topics like stoichiometry are always difficult to handle and need lot of in depth knowledge about reactions and mole concept.

It is very much advisable to solve past 10 years(Minimum) IIT JEE papers for chemistry. Most of the questions are repeated in an indirect manner. This is true for inorganic and organic chemistry than physical chemistry because in physical chemistry lot of concept testing is involved. When you solve problems from past years IIT JEE papers of Chemistry, you would see a pattern in which questions / concepts are tested. In fact with a proper planning you can make chemistry as the most scoring subject out of all three in IIT JEE.

Organic Chemistry

Organic Chemistry is the branch of chemistry which deals mostly with the objects in life. Though, it is not quite mathematical in nature, but the basics of Thermodynamics and Kinetics are still the underlying principles. It observes and explains the chemistry in life. Although Organic Chemistry in itself is quite vast but at IIT JEE level it deals with General Organic Chemistry. It starts with the concept of Hybridization, IUPAC Nomenclature, Isomerism, Resonance, Hyperconjugation, etc. Stereoisomerism is a critical part which becomes a bottleneck for most of the students. These concepts are used in almost every reaction mechanisms which are a part of topics like Hydrocarbons, Halides, Alcohols & Phenols, Aldehydes & Ketones, Carboxylic acids and derivatives. Named Reactions are like drivers direction for students and maximum come from the chapter of Aldehydes & Ketones, which is no less than a climax of a movie.

Organic chemistry has at least 30-40% weight-age in the IIT JEE chemistry paper. It is the most critical part of chemistry where scoring is important to occupy a high berth in AIR of IIT JEE.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free