Hi all, Now that I have just finished my board exams, and after a break of 3 weeks, I now plan to start my JEE preparation. I have purchased a no. of books for it and joined coaching as well. But the problem is, I DON’T KNOW WHERE TO START. For example, I don’t know if I should start independantly working through Hall and Knight’s algebra and Loney’s Trigonometry, or should I first do my NCERT and RD Sharma, and then move on to those books. Same case with physics. I don’t know if I should first get over with NCERT (and mabe stuff like Pradeep) or start working through HC Verma. In chemistry, though, I do understand that NCERT is the first choice. But Math and Physics, no idea. What I was thinking is that since my school will start in around June, and the NCERT will get covered in school anyway, I should maybe start with the other books(e.g. RD Sharma) I mentioned, as they all seem to be independant (i.e. I don’t need to go through NCERT first to read Hall and Knight, though it does look like a good idea). So any suggestions on that?? Am i supposed to first go through NCERT for all subjects, or I can continue with other books. (I intend to start with RD Sharma for Math and HC Verma for physics). Thanks in advance

Hi all,
Now that I have just finished my board exams, and after a break of 3 weeks, I now plan to start my JEE preparation. I have purchased a no. of books for it and joined coaching as well. But the problem is, I DON’T KNOW WHERE TO START.
For example, I don’t know if I should start independantly working through Hall and Knight’s algebra and Loney’s Trigonometry, or should I first do my NCERT and RD Sharma, and then move on to those books. Same case with physics. I don’t know  if I should first get over with NCERT (and mabe stuff like Pradeep) or start working through HC Verma. In chemistry, though, I do understand that NCERT is the first choice. But Math and Physics, no idea.
What I was thinking is that since my school will start in around June, and the NCERT will get covered in school anyway, I should maybe start with the other books(e.g. RD Sharma) I mentioned, as they all seem to be independant (i.e. I don’t need to go through NCERT first to read Hall and Knight, though it does look like a good idea).
So any suggestions on that?? Am i supposed to first go through NCERT for all subjects, or I can continue with other books. (I intend to start with RD Sharma for Math and HC Verma for physics).
Thanks in advance

Grade:11

6 Answers

ng29
1698 Points
8 years ago
first of all rd sharma is not good book for preparation for iit exam
u must prefer cengage publications books for maths , it is awesome and contains good quantity of questions with good quality
and for physics u r on right way to hc verma

approve if useful
approve if useful
Amartya
18 Points
8 years ago
@ng29, Thanks for the answer(approved!). However, I do know that RD Sharma is not for IIT. I only intend to use it as a stepping stone from NCERT to books like Hall Knight and GN Berman. That is what my question says-I want to know if to study advanced books like IA Maron and Hall Knight, do I necessarily need to start with NCERT or can I study them independently. Or perhaps, study them parallel. I only thought of using RD Sharma to gradually step into books of greater difficulty level.
ng29
1698 Points
8 years ago
books that u r mentioning are of very high level
i advise u take books of CENGAGE PUBLICATIONS bcoz it contains all type of que with latest pattern and detailed solutions

approve if useful
ng29
1698 Points
8 years ago
after starting with cengage if u feel confident on chapter than go for loney,maron,knight

approve if useful
approve if useful
sajid
615 Points
8 years ago
you should first go with ncert materials
then you can go with other materials
prepare well
all the best

Ayushmaan Vardhan
804 Points
8 years ago
Make NCERT books as a base and get previous years’ question papers and assignments etc so that you may practice them and come across the style of question paper, plus you need to surf on internet to find out leading colleges and universities for taking admission in any of them....i may suggest to visit the websits of – ICFAI Uni, Jharkhand,......SSN College of Engg, Kalavakkam,....lovely Professional University etc.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free