Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off
USE CODE: EXAM25

A double star,with two star masses m1 & m2.They are rotating with constant angular speed. If max. distance of separation between them is R,find the angular speed of star in terms of m1,m2 & R

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Shweta

The above ques will be done with the concept of reduced mass...

according to the concept of reduced mass when two bodies rotate about their common centre of mass such that a force of attraction acts between them and the dist.b/n the 2 bodies remains constant then their angular velocites are exactly same both in magnitude and direction .the results for angular velocity and time period that u obtain for single bodies can be obtained by using the reduced mass of  2 body system .To reduce the 2-body system to 1-body just consider 1 body of mass=m(reduced mass) and consider its rotation about a fixed point at a dist=dist between the 2 bodies.thus u get a simple circular motin whose radius is known and the centrifugal force is balanced by the force of attraction that was originally present between the bodies. 

we can consider the 2-star system to be as 1 star having a mass
m=m1*m2/
(m1+m2) this will rotate in circular motion about a fixed pt. and having radius equal to the separation b/n the 2 bodies and the force remaining the same towards the centre as b4 which in this case is the gravitation force of interaction.

the equations will be

mw2R=Gm1m2/R2.   solving u get w=(1/R)(G(m1+m2)/R) ie 1/R*root(G(m1+m2)/R)

Hope it helps!

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

Hi, Which online test series would you consider the best for preparing for JEE? Thanks.

I think, askiitians would be the best one, because, its the only one that offers such an online programme at a cost of online test series.. you must discuss it with askiitians faculty..
  img
Saurabh Kumar 6 months ago

You can enroll for online coaching on askiitians website http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/online-coaching/
  img
Avinash 6 months ago

if you are good in concepts then i will prefer resonance................

arsalan nazim 6 months ago
got 15321 rank in jee advance passed aat exam after that can i get b arch in iit

Yes there are pretty good chances for you to get a seat, still you must visit the official weblink of Jeemains to check the current status there and let me tell you that there are some...

Soneel Verma 7 months ago

Youn need to clear AAT and your score does not seem to be much promising, still pay a visit to the official weblinks of IIT Roorkee/ Kharagpur and find out where do you stand and then...

Ayushmaan Vardhan 6 months ago

Thanku for your answer but i specifically wanted to know about the barch courses at iit rorkee and khargpur

Yash Arora 7 months ago
which is best books for chemistry for iit advance plz suggest one each physical, organic and inorganic chemistry

Well to be honest, i’ve never heard of it before. But what i would like to suggest is : go to a library and get hold of all the books including cengage publication. Read a random chapter...

Neeti 6 months ago

P.Bahadur for Physical Chemistry Solomons for organic chemistry O.P Randon for inroganic chemistry :) and even J.D.Lee is very good for inorganic chemistry :) Feel free to ask any follow up ...

Neeti 6 months ago

what is ur opinion about cengage publication

gunvant bhati 6 months ago
sir on how much range of marks we can get medical college in general category

For admission to the MBBS and BDS courses into the Medical and Dental colleges in India. According to MCI information on April 30, 2014, there are around 381 MBBS Colleges in India. The...
  img
Saurabh Kumar one year ago

Hi, It depends on the merit and it varies every year. You just focus on preparing well and aim to score 75% in the paper. Definitely, you will get...
  img
Shobhit Varshney one year ago

sir for aipmt how should we prepare our self so that get Gov. medical college as a best rank

shivani sharma one year ago
Is it advisable to continue in CBSE for 11 th & 12 th grade? How good can it be?

Yes it is good to be a part of CBSE in your 11 n 12 grade.Depending upon the availability and options you can go for the other board.If you are planning for JEE Main n Advance you will be...
  img
Sourabh Singh one month ago

Yes Considering JEE MAIN exam your percentage will be taken directly into the equivalent score withou any alteration.
  img
Sourabh Singh one month ago

Thanks Sourabh! Scoring in 12 th CBSE gets difficult compared to other boards, in such case does the CBSE students have any special consideration or concession when it comes to admission...

Akshay one month ago
Sir I got 44365 rank in jee main 2015 , Category rank 11261 (OBC-NCL). 4001 category rank in JEE advance 2015. Today the mock list hs been released by CSAB-2015 and I haven’t been alloted...

Dear, attend all round of counselling by putting all options of NITs along with some good branches of good Deemed unicversities also put BITS and IIITs in the list....... if not getting any...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 7 months ago

You can”t do anything now. Just proceed for further rounds THANKS

vb 7 months ago
View all Questions »

• View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off
USE CODE: EXAM25