Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off
USE CODE: FC20

A double star,with two star masses m1 & m2.They are rotating with constant angular speed. If max. distance of separation between them is R,find the angular speed of star in terms of m1,m2 & R

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Shweta

The above ques will be done with the concept of reduced mass...

according to the concept of reduced mass when two bodies rotate about their common centre of mass such that a force of attraction acts between them and the dist.b/n the 2 bodies remains constant then their angular velocites are exactly same both in magnitude and direction .the results for angular velocity and time period that u obtain for single bodies can be obtained by using the reduced mass of  2 body system .To reduce the 2-body system to 1-body just consider 1 body of mass=m(reduced mass) and consider its rotation about a fixed point at a dist=dist between the 2 bodies.thus u get a simple circular motin whose radius is known and the centrifugal force is balanced by the force of attraction that was originally present between the bodies. 

we can consider the 2-star system to be as 1 star having a mass
m=m1*m2/
(m1+m2) this will rotate in circular motion about a fixed pt. and having radius equal to the separation b/n the 2 bodies and the force remaining the same towards the centre as b4 which in this case is the gravitation force of interaction.

the equations will be

mw2R=Gm1m2/R2.   solving u get w=(1/R)(G(m1+m2)/R) ie 1/R*root(G(m1+m2)/R)

Hope it helps!

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

I am a class 12th student preparing for IITJEE 2017. Whenever I read anything, after 2 to 3 weeks, it seems to me like I have forgotten whatever I read past 2 weeks. What should I do? I...

Dear student Forgetting is human tendency which arises when you read something without interest.We always remember movie stories and songs(isn’t it??)because of interest.Don’t...
  img
Bhavya yesterday

hi krishna donot be sad . i also suffer from same problem last year and found solution on this site and joined this site. in class 11 and class 12 syllabus is so much that it becomes...

SAHIL yesterday
is that really tough to crack jee main exam

No, nothing is impossible, as ‘Impossible’ itself says that ‘I M Possible’,.........you just need to be determined, and with a single mind having a clear idea for your aim you have to move...

Ayushmaan Vardhan 9 months ago

Hav ur goal fixed and u should atleast read for 8 hrs after school per day efficiently so that u can crack jee paper easily

sneha 7 months ago

No, if you are studying for sufficient hours with good plan and have good foundation.

Mehul Trivedi 9 months ago
i want to opt for jee main online computer based exam in 2017 at surat. i want to know EXACT address of Surat [ Gujarat ] centre which will conduct jee main 2016 online computer based exam...

Dear student The exact address of any online centre of Surat will be posted to you once you will fill your code.Before that they don’t release centre names in order to prevent any...
  img
Bhavya one month ago

If you have opted for online test for JEE MAIN 16, it would be mentioned on your hall ticket which you will download from JEEMAIN weblink.. All the best..
  img
Saurabh Kumar one month ago

hello, in the hallticket exact address is there about exam center.but you dont know the address then take some one help. ….….….….…..ALL THE BEST.........................................

raj kumar one month ago
sir i am a student of class 12 and i want to get a very good score in jeee mains . how should i prepare for it ? what should be my strategy? what should be the books that i shall prefer?...

Dear Student, The complete informationregarding JEE is available on our website. Please refer from there. The books to be refered, Preparation tips and all other information are available...
  img
Vijay Mukati 9 months ago

U HAVE Only year left foe ur exam , so just do as many practice as u can and most important thing is clear ur doubts properly on time, and also follow a proper time table dont make ur...

ng29 9 months ago
Which are the most scoring topics in hjee mains and advanced separately ?

Please follow the below link to find the relevant information http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/how-to-prepare-for-iit-jee.html you can also read useful articles on...
  img
Harsh Patodia one year ago
What is OSI Reference Model ??

The Open System Interconnection reference model was created by the International Organizaiton for Standardization (ISO) to provide a model that network vendors could follow when developing...
  img
Deepak Patra 7 years ago
View all Questions »

• View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off
USE CODE: FC20

• View Details

Get extra R 3,000 off