ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

two tangents are drawn from the point (-2,-1) to a parabola. if thita is the angle between them, what is the value of tan thita

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi Rupali,

You've not mentioned the equation of the parabola. (Assuming it as y^2 = 4x)

The eqn of any tangent to a parabola y^2 = 4ax is y = mx+a/m

So the equation of any tangent to this parabola, would be y=mx+1/m (as a=1, for y^2=4x)

Now these tangents pass through (-2,-1)... so -1=-2m+1/m

Or 2m2-m-1=0.

Where m1,m2 are the slopes of the two tangents that satisfy this equation (m1,m2 are the roots of the quad)....

So tan(angle between the tangents) = |(m1-m2)/(1+m1m2)|

Now m1m2 = -1/2

And m1-m2 = root { (m1+m2)2-4m1m2 } = root [ (1/2)2 - 4(-1/2) ] = root[9/4].

So |m1-m2| = 3/2.

Hence tan(Angle) = (3/2) / (1/2) = 3.....

And that is the answer.

Best Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

You have to give the equation of parabola.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Which one is the best recommended book for physics for jee (main+advance)????????? D.C. pandey (5 volumes) by arihant publishers B.M. sharma (5 volumes) by CENGAGE Tata mcgraw hill (Complete...

1.Young & Freedman -University Physics 2.Resnick & Halliday These are kind of the books which stress on concepts as far as Physics is concerned.JEE is all about concepts. So I...
  img
Aziz Alam 9 months ago

You can directly use these books. These books will teach you from scratch. Thanks & regards Aziz Alam IIT Roorkee askIITians
  img
Aziz Alam 9 months ago

I am in 11 th,,, so i have just started preparing for jee.Can I directly use these for OR at first i have to solve some basic books????? @ AZIZ ALAM SIR

Sankalp Tiwari 9 months ago
What is general merit rank and what is category rank.

Hii If you belong to any other category apart from general you will also recieve a category rank apart from general merit rank. Thanks. .. .. . . ….…. … . . . .. .. ....
  img
Sourabh Singh 5 months ago

Hii this means you belong to the general category. Hence you ill only recieve Common Merit Rank. Thanks. . . . … . .. . . . . . . . . .
  img
Sourabh Singh 5 months ago

Sir I am brahmin how can i belong to any category then to i got category rank

Harsh Kulkarni 5 months ago
Hi, I am preparing for JEE 2016.But I don't get time for studies as going to college and coaching takes much of my time.Please suggest me how to study ,how to manage time and how to avoid...

Hii Seven Steps for effective Time Management Organize:- Have an organized work place Maintain a proper planner for study Plan out your daily activity based on their importance level...
  img
Sourabh Singh 7 months ago

Hii Thanks for your equivocating response. It’s appreciated . Keep on posting for more queries and we will revert back to you promptly in this manner. Thanks n Best of Luck. . . . . .....
  img
Sourabh Singh 7 months ago

Thankyou Sir for your invaluable advice.....

Sachin Kamath 7 months ago
hello sir can we take course in pure physics after engineering ?????

I guess your interest is in Physics. For that I would say that apply for the Indian Physics Olympiad. It would boost your thinking skills with witty problems that will literally stretch your...

vineet chatterjee 3 months ago

sir we can apply for physics olympiad in 11 colleage ??? and which institutes offers course in pure physics in india and also in abroad ????

NIRAJ TIRTHANI 3 months ago
top engineering college in india

Hi buddy, Apart from the above suggested college I think you should check University of Petroeum and Energy Studies, Dehradon too. I’ve heard a lot about this university and am constantly...

Ratan Khanna 16 days ago

There are numerous engineering colleges like IIT, NIT, DTU, BITS, SKIET and many others which are well established and recognized for their best academic facilities and highly qualified...

Leepika Roy 18 days ago

The Best Colleges are IITs, NIITs, IIITs, BIT, VIT and some deemed universities. After all it depends upon the goal one is pursuing as every college doesn’t provide the best in every aspect

E. Prathish 16 days ago
hello i am expecting around 240 in my barch jee mains paper........is this score good also what kind of barch colleges will i get ?????????

You can get NITs, although the chances for CS and Electronics is less, but you will get other branches....also depends on your class 12 th marks....
  img
Saurabh Kumar 4 days ago

is there any chance of spa delhi?????

Nikunj Fotedar 4 days ago
View all Questions »