Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off
USE CODE: MOB20

two tangents are drawn from the point (-2,-1) to a parabola. if thita is the angle between them, what is the value of tan thita

4 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi Rupali,

You've not mentioned the equation of the parabola. (Assuming it as y^2 = 4x)

The eqn of any tangent to a parabola y^2 = 4ax is y = mx+a/m

So the equation of any tangent to this parabola, would be y=mx+1/m (as a=1, for y^2=4x)

Now these tangents pass through (-2,-1)... so -1=-2m+1/m

Or 2m2-m-1=0.

Where m1,m2 are the slopes of the two tangents that satisfy this equation (m1,m2 are the roots of the quad)....

So tan(angle between the tangents) = |(m1-m2)/(1+m1m2)|

Now m1m2 = -1/2

And m1-m2 = root { (m1+m2)2-4m1m2 } = root [ (1/2)2 - 4(-1/2) ] = root[9/4].

So |m1-m2| = 3/2.

Hence tan(Angle) = (3/2) / (1/2) = 3.....

And that is the answer.

Best Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

4 years ago

You have to give the equation of parabola.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Sir i got AIR 85680 in obc category in jee mains,can i get admission in NIT in electrical engineering

Getting core branches is difficult for you. You may be requred to wait upto spot round for getting this.
  img
Vijay Mukati one year ago

Its difficult to say at this moment.
  img

Tier 2 or tier 3 NITs.
  img
Hello sir, I am Aditi Saini who is currently residing in Indonesia and am an NRI. I am interested in doing IIT as I am planning to do further studies here in India. Currently I am in grade...

Its a very good attempt for JEE or SAT.. Qualification for both the exams are class 12 th PCM English, If you gain good concepts over the subject, goal would be easier to you.. So you do not...
  img
Saurabh Kumar one year ago

Qualification for both the exams are class passing12th and Board of education doesnt effect much
  img
Avinash one year ago

So basically in this website the people who are answering are they the ones who got selected in IIT exams or the teachers who are answering me...

Aditi Saini one year ago
will 12 th marks be considered in jee mains ranking? will 12 th marks be considered in jee mains ranking? will 12 th marks be considered in jee mains ranking? will 12 th marks be considered ...

Yaa!! they will be considered in both IIT JEE MAIN & ADVANCED RANKS so don't ignore boards (if u were planning to ignore them at all) u should be in top 20 percentile to be promoted to...

Riddhi Gupta 10 months ago

Yana they will be considered in both iitjee main and advanced so don't ignore boards (if u were planning to ignore them at all) u should be in top 20 percentile to be promoted to advanced...

Riddhi Gupta 10 months ago

12 th marks will be considered for only jee mains ranking and as a criteria for qualifying to write jee advanced(i.e. to get int top 20 percentile or to get 75% above marks).. but they...

Mohit Kumar 6 months ago
hi i am shubham agrawal. i wanted to ask that i have got 124 marks in jee mains and 86.2 percent in mp board . suggest me some best colleges at this position(jee mains rank) that i can get...

http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/main/rank-predictor.html http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/advanced/cut-off.html Please find above the link for predicting your rank. The list below shows...
  img
Ankit one month ago

Dear Student, to get the information about the cutoff, you must visit the official website of JEEmains or of any IIT/NIT to get to know the exact information. It would be appreciable if you ...

Aneesh Sehgal one month ago
What r the most scoring and easy topics for jee mains and advance !?

Physics – Unit and dimension, Thermodynamics, Optics, modern physics Chemistry – physical chemistry Maths – Trigonometry All these are just putting formula and solving type chapters.

akhil one year ago
dear sir/mam i was an avrage student in class xith & got 60 % of marks. i am not satisfied with my studies at xith level.what would you suggest me to do for cracking IIT JEE.Right now i ...

Dear Meenal You are not late to start a preparation ….yes its true that cracking iit is not an easy job but its not impossible for average candidates ... You will have to work hard...

Amit Askiitiansexpert 6 years ago
View all Questions »

• View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

• View Details

Get extra R 3,000 off