why lithium reacts less vigarously than sodium ?

3 years ago

Answers : (4)

Dohhh !! check the reactivity series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactivity_series

Elements at the top are hyper reactive and this decreases downwards..

sodium comes above lithium so likewise it reacts more vigorously

3 years ago

Lithium is a small molecule compared to sodium.... the attraction between the outermost electron and the nucleus in Li is more than the attraction between outermost electron and nuclei of Na... when a small amount of energy is supplied to Sodium, the outermost electron jumps out and enables Na to take part in Chemical reactions... while in the case of Li more amount of energy is to be supplied to overcome the attraction between the outermost electron and the nucleus... Hence Na reacts vigorously when compared to Li..... PLZ approve this answer!!!!!

3 years ago

but energy will be released on rection with water rt

3 years ago

U will learn in higher classes that energy is inversely propotional to stability.....

consider the reaction:

REACTANTS ----> PRODUCTS

where enormous amount of energy is lost in the form of heat... the energy of the products is less than the energy of the reactants (heat is lost)... hence the products is stable when compared to the reactants... Na has higher energy than Li... it is less stable compare to Li... it reacts with water vigorously and enormous amount of heat is lost during the process and forms NaOH which is stable... Li also reacts with water vigorously but since its already stable (has less energy) it reacts less vigorusly than water....

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Sir What is rules for branch change in IIT kharagpur? how many students can change the branch? Is there any reservation criteria ?

I am attaching you the file regarding the branch change terms and conditions. There are many clauses attached with branch change that can effect the comfortable branch change process in IIT...
  img
Aziz Alam 3 months ago
sir, i got ee in iit patna.. and unluckily expecting a rank of around 30000 in mains. and therefore will get nit durgapur it. what should be my choice??? btw i am also getting ee in jadavpur...

If you have EE in IIT Patna and your possible options include NIT Durgapur and EE in Jadavpur University, it’s better that you stick with EE in IIT Patna. And if you are thinking about...
  img
Aziz Alam 3 months ago
i am living in delhi and my parents are in maharashtra. can i make my local guardian in delhi to sign the declaration form on behalf of my parents???

hello dear student, Yes , your local gurdians can sign for you on behalf of your parents , as there is a option for gurdian or parnets sign, you can clafify with iit authorities further
  img
Sher Mohammad 3 months ago
Sir my BITSAT score is 355 , in the first round iteration of BITS pilani I got EEE in Goa ...Do I have a chance in BITS PIlani – Pilani campus in either Mech or EEE ??

First of all, congratulations for your success.You have a pretty good chance of getting both Mech (337 cutoff-2013 & 332 cutoff-2012) and EEE(343 cutoff-2013 & 343 cutoff-2012) in...
  img
Aziz Alam 3 months ago
how to balance between the studies for iit-jee and other all exams with it

Dear Shweta, Syllabus of IIT-JEE is more or less the same as other entrance exams. Other exams like AIEEE, BITSAT include several extra chapters to the IIT JEE syllabus. So if your...

Askiitians Expert Himanshu Geed - IIT Delhi 4 years ago

Dear shweta To balance between IIT JEE and all other exam ,you need not to make extra effort.because almost all the exam have same syllabus.only in few exam you will see few more chapters....

Badiuddin askIITians.ismu Expert 4 years ago
Which are the mos important and scoring topics in PCM to clear iit jee mains and advance?

Every topic is important. Please do not leave any topic. Maths - Conic sections vectors 3D Physics - Electrostatics magnetostatics mpdern physics Chemistry - organic chemistry Thank BHARAT...
  img
bharat bajaj 4 months ago
View all Questions »