why lithium reacts less vigarously than sodium ?

3 years ago

Answers : (4)

Dohhh !! check the reactivity series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactivity_series

Elements at the top are hyper reactive and this decreases downwards..

sodium comes above lithium so likewise it reacts more vigorously

3 years ago

Lithium is a small molecule compared to sodium.... the attraction between the outermost electron and the nucleus in Li is more than the attraction between outermost electron and nuclei of Na... when a small amount of energy is supplied to Sodium, the outermost electron jumps out and enables Na to take part in Chemical reactions... while in the case of Li more amount of energy is to be supplied to overcome the attraction between the outermost electron and the nucleus... Hence Na reacts vigorously when compared to Li..... PLZ approve this answer!!!!!

3 years ago

but energy will be released on rection with water rt

3 years ago

U will learn in higher classes that energy is inversely propotional to stability.....

consider the reaction:

REACTANTS ----> PRODUCTS

where enormous amount of energy is lost in the form of heat... the energy of the products is less than the energy of the reactants (heat is lost)... hence the products is stable when compared to the reactants... Na has higher energy than Li... it is less stable compare to Li... it reacts with water vigorously and enormous amount of heat is lost during the process and forms NaOH which is stable... Li also reacts with water vigorously but since its already stable (has less energy) it reacts less vigorusly than water....

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Far a minimum deviation refracted ray should be parallel to the base of the prism can u give the proof?

Refraction through a Prism:- A prism is a wedge-shaped body made from a refracting medium bounded by two plane faces inclined to each other at some angle. The two plane faces are called are...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 4 months ago
I’ve posted the following question already, but I didn’t get the answer I wanted. “ I am an OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) and I have a doubt whether I am able to obtain a seat at the IITs?...

JEE-Advanced:Candidates who are NOT citizens of India at the time of registering for JEE (Advanced) [that is for IIT’s only] 2015 (by birth or naturalized) are treated as foreign...
  img
Ravi 2 months ago

AIEEE is now JEE Main and JEE Advanced. JEE Main is for admissions to NITs, IIITs and other centrally funded technical institutions, and institutions funded by several participating State...
  img
Aziz Alam 2 months ago
sir can you please tell me how to prepare for tensors 2014

Hi, Tensor is just another test paper that you solve while in your coaching, at home, or with askIITians. We infact have a full test series which has many full syllabus exams for mains and...
  img
Yash Baheti 4 months ago

sir how can i attend the test series of ask iitans

AJAY PILLAI K 4 months ago
I have been sellected for coaching centers of FIITJEE, VMC and Bansal. Which would be the best for South Delhi

I will go for Bansal classes , even FIITJEE is better. choice is yours, dont relyon my answer...plzz do consult some other people -- regards Ramesh

Ramesh V 4 years ago
sir which is better option ee at ism dhanbad or ece at IIIT hyderabad

ee at ism dhanbad or ece at IIIThyderabad both are good options, but you may go for IIT hyderabad ece which has little edge over ee , otherwise ism is a good option.
  img
Sher Mohammad 6 months ago
Can I please get the mobile number and the email id of Mr. Ankesh Garg, IIT Kanpur, Mr. Kumar Devvrat, IIT Kanpur. Also the faculty Dr. A. R. Harish from IIT Kanpur. They were working in...

Hello Dear student, We don’t have access to such personal details of faculty members, please try through other resources available, we can’t help you on this issue.
  img
Sher Mohammad 6 months ago
View all Questions »