ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

why in electrolysis of an aqueous solution of copper sulphate using copper electrodes, sulphate ions and hydroxide ion do not oxidises?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi somy, in this table of copper sulphate reaction chart , you can check the reason ...for many sulphate reactions ...

Electrolyte cathode product cathode equation anode product anode equation comments
molten aluminium oxide

Al2O3(l)

molten aluminium Al3+(l) + 3e- ==> Al(l) oxygen gas

2O2-(l) - 4e- ==> O2(g)

or  2O2-(l)  ==> O2(g) + 4e-

Method 2 in principle: The industrial method for the extraction of aluminium its ore
aqueous copper(II) sulfate

CuSO4(aq)

copper deposit any conducting electrode e.g. carbon rod, any metal including copper itself

Cu2+(aq) + 2e- ==> Cu(s)

oxygen gas inert electrode like carbon (graphite rod) or platinum

(i) 4OH-(aq) - 4e- ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g)

or  4OH-(aq) ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g) + 4e-

(ii) 2H2O(l) - 4e- ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g)

or 2H2O(l) ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g) + 4e-

Adapt Method 3 - e.g. use carbon rods: The blue colour of the copper ion will fade as the copper ions are converted to the copper deposit on the cathode
aqueous copper (II) sulphate

CuSO4(aq)

copper deposit any conducting electrode e.g. carbon rod, any metal including copper itself

Cu2+(aq) + 2e- ==> Cu(s)

copper(II) ions - the copper anode dissolves copper anode

Cu(s) - 2e- ==> Cu2+(aq)

or  Cu(s) ==> Cu(s) + 2e-

See Method 3: This is the basis of the method of electroplating any conducting solid with a layer of copper. When using both copper cathode and anode, the blue colour of the copper ion does not decrease because copper deposited at the (-) cathode = the copper dissolving at the (+) anode.
molten sodium chloride

NaCl(l)

molten sodium Na+(l) + e- ==> Na(l) chlorine gas

2Cl-(l) - 2e- ==> Cl2(g)

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e-

Method 2 in principle: This a method used to manufacture sodium and chlorine. See Down's Cell
aqueous sodium chloride solution (brine)

NaCl(aq)

hydrogen

2H+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g)

or 2H3O+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g) + 2H2O(l)

or 2H2O(l) + 2e- ==> H2(g) + 2OH-(aq)

chlorine gas

2Cl-(aq) - 2e- ==> Cl2(g)

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e-

Method 1a: This is the process by which hydrogen, chlorine and sodium hydroxide are manufactured
hydrochloric acid

HCl(aq)

hydrogen gas 2H+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g) chlorine gas

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e- 

Method 1a: All acids give hydrogen at the cathode
sulphuric acid

sulfuric acid

H2SO4(aq)

hydrogen gas 2H+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g) oxygen gas

(i) 4OH-(aq) - 4e- ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g)

or  4OH-(aq) ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g) + 4e-

(ii) (+) 2H2O(l) - 4e- ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g)

or 2H2O(l) ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g) + 4e- 

Method 1b: All acids give hydrogen at the cathode. Whereas hydrochloric acid gives chlorine at the anode, the sulfate ion does nothing and instead oxygen is formed. This is the classic 'electrolysis of water'
molten lead(II) bromide

PBr2(l)

molten lead Pb2+(l) + 2e- ==> Pb(l) bromine vapour

2Br-l) - 2e- ==> Br2(g)

or  2Br- ==> Br2 + 2e-

Method 2: A good demonstration in the school laboratory - brown vapour and silvery lump provide good evidence of what's happened
molten calcium chloride

CaCl2(l)

solid calcium Ca2+(aq) + 2e- ==> Ca(s) chlorine gas

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e-

Method 2 in principle: The basis of the industrial method for the manufacture of calcium metal

************** ************ **************************************************** ********** ******************************************************* *************************************
4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
What is 7+7÷7+7×7-7 ?

the answer is 0

d.kojalrani 2 months ago

vikas yadav 2 months ago

dude answer is 50 lol! evven i am approving for sake! lol.......

TEJKIRAT SINGH 2 months ago
iam in a strong will to clear IIT JEE 2015....can you please suggest me some preparation tips.....

Preparing forIIT-JEE is surely a difficult thing but it all depends on how you manage your time. The key for this planning is to first set some long-term goals and then set up short-term...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 7 months ago

Hi, The best thing is to make a study schedule and follow it strictly. Keep a balance between theory and numericals and follow good books instead of completing many books. thanks...
  img
Shobhit Varshney 7 months ago
Sir i’m expected to get just 23 marks in JEE main and 93% in HSE – Kerala. I belongs to OBC category. Sir do i have any chance to get into any acclaimed college? I know it’s not a decent...

Sorry this is not near expected cut-off, work hard and get good score next time.
  img
Harsh Patodia one month ago

You are welcome !!!
  img
Harsh Patodia one month ago

thank you sir... I will... :)

Triggers To Change one month ago
What is modular programming??

Modular programming can be used to break up a large program into manageable units, or to create code that can be easily re-used. A modular program consists of a main module and one or more...
  img
Deepak Patra 6 years ago
What is Object Oriented Programming

A type of programming in which programmers define not only the data type of a data structure, but also the types of operations (functions) that can be applied to the data structure. In this...
  img
Aditi Chauhan 6 years ago

Features of Object-Oriented Programming Languages Data encapsulation or data abstraction Data encapsulation, sometimes referred to as data hiding, is the mechanism whereby the implementation...

Ravi Sharma 6 years ago

The Main Feature of Object Oriented Programming are : Encapsulation: The term encapsulation is often used interchangeably with information hiding.Information hiding in computer science is...

Swati Kharodia 6 years ago
a line x=k intersects graph of y=log 5 x and the graph of y=log 5 (x+4) .the distance b/w points of intersection is 0.5 , given k=a+(b) 1/2. .where a & b are integers..the value of a+b...

Dear rahul given distance b/w points of intersection is 0.5 ie log 5 (k+4) -log 5 (k) =1/2 or log 5 (k+4)/k =1/2 or (k+4)/k =√5 k=4/(√5 -1) =√5 +1 so a=1 and b=5 a+b=6...

Badiuddin askIITians.ismu Expert 5 years ago
View all Questions »