why in electrolysis of an aqueous solution of copper sulphate using copper electrodes, sulphate ions and hydroxide ion do not oxidises?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi somy, in this table of copper sulphate reaction chart , you can check the reason ...for many sulphate reactions ...

Electrolyte cathode product cathode equation anode product anode equation comments
molten aluminium oxide

Al2O3(l)

molten aluminium Al3+(l) + 3e- ==> Al(l) oxygen gas

2O2-(l) - 4e- ==> O2(g)

or  2O2-(l)  ==> O2(g) + 4e-

Method 2 in principle: The industrial method for the extraction of aluminium its ore
aqueous copper(II) sulfate

CuSO4(aq)

copper deposit any conducting electrode e.g. carbon rod, any metal including copper itself

Cu2+(aq) + 2e- ==> Cu(s)

oxygen gas inert electrode like carbon (graphite rod) or platinum

(i) 4OH-(aq) - 4e- ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g)

or  4OH-(aq) ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g) + 4e-

(ii) 2H2O(l) - 4e- ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g)

or 2H2O(l) ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g) + 4e-

Adapt Method 3 - e.g. use carbon rods: The blue colour of the copper ion will fade as the copper ions are converted to the copper deposit on the cathode
aqueous copper (II) sulphate

CuSO4(aq)

copper deposit any conducting electrode e.g. carbon rod, any metal including copper itself

Cu2+(aq) + 2e- ==> Cu(s)

copper(II) ions - the copper anode dissolves copper anode

Cu(s) - 2e- ==> Cu2+(aq)

or  Cu(s) ==> Cu(s) + 2e-

See Method 3: This is the basis of the method of electroplating any conducting solid with a layer of copper. When using both copper cathode and anode, the blue colour of the copper ion does not decrease because copper deposited at the (-) cathode = the copper dissolving at the (+) anode.
molten sodium chloride

NaCl(l)

molten sodium Na+(l) + e- ==> Na(l) chlorine gas

2Cl-(l) - 2e- ==> Cl2(g)

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e-

Method 2 in principle: This a method used to manufacture sodium and chlorine. See Down's Cell
aqueous sodium chloride solution (brine)

NaCl(aq)

hydrogen

2H+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g)

or 2H3O+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g) + 2H2O(l)

or 2H2O(l) + 2e- ==> H2(g) + 2OH-(aq)

chlorine gas

2Cl-(aq) - 2e- ==> Cl2(g)

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e-

Method 1a: This is the process by which hydrogen, chlorine and sodium hydroxide are manufactured
hydrochloric acid

HCl(aq)

hydrogen gas 2H+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g) chlorine gas

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e- 

Method 1a: All acids give hydrogen at the cathode
sulphuric acid

sulfuric acid

H2SO4(aq)

hydrogen gas 2H+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g) oxygen gas

(i) 4OH-(aq) - 4e- ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g)

or  4OH-(aq) ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g) + 4e-

(ii) (+) 2H2O(l) - 4e- ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g)

or 2H2O(l) ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g) + 4e- 

Method 1b: All acids give hydrogen at the cathode. Whereas hydrochloric acid gives chlorine at the anode, the sulfate ion does nothing and instead oxygen is formed. This is the classic 'electrolysis of water'
molten lead(II) bromide

PBr2(l)

molten lead Pb2+(l) + 2e- ==> Pb(l) bromine vapour

2Br-l) - 2e- ==> Br2(g)

or  2Br- ==> Br2 + 2e-

Method 2: A good demonstration in the school laboratory - brown vapour and silvery lump provide good evidence of what's happened
molten calcium chloride

CaCl2(l)

solid calcium Ca2+(aq) + 2e- ==> Ca(s) chlorine gas

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e-

Method 2 in principle: The basis of the industrial method for the manufacture of calcium metal

************** ************ **************************************************** ********** ******************************************************* *************************************
3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
I am currently doing 3 yr diploma in Polytechnic in PSG, coimbatore. Am in the 2 nd year and would like to take up IIT JEE Main in 2016. Can you please advise if I would be eligible.

Please go through the Eligibility Criteria given below. ( Points and 1 and 2 important for you.) Note this is for 2015 so adjust everything according to 2016. 1. Date of Birth Only those...
  img
Harsh Patodia one month ago
Hi, I’m aiming b/w 3500 to 4000 rank in jee advanced. Can someone tell me the required books and material needed for this rank. Also, is HC Verma enough for this rank?

yap . But H.C.Verma is nice book . See if you can get Haliday,Resnick,Walker. For Maths, books of Asit Das Gupta and R.D.Sharma are best .

Piku 2 months ago

Firstly ur basics need to be strong. You can practice from H C Verma. If your concepts and basics are clear then u can refer I.E.Irodov.

MAlav Shah 2 months ago

its better to carry even (pc.agarwal) book with you, for other subjects just give more preference to arihant series or cengage series

dheeraj 2 months ago
sir how can i write the test series of ask iitians , can you tell me the procedure

Hii Yes you join the test series askiitians by enrolling for the test series. You can enroll for the test series askiitians at “ askiitians.com/packages/PackageDetail.aspx?packageID=17...
  img
Sourabh Singh one month ago

Please call 1800 2000 838 and they will tell you procedure in detail or Visit askiitian homepage. On right hand side you can choose to chat with concerned person. These persons will...
  img
Harsh Patodia one month ago
best scoring chaptrs in maths jee

you better to focus on calculus because calculus plays an important role in jee

sivakrishna 7 months ago
sir, is it possible to discontinue m.b.b.s. course from odisha govt. college after 1 year of admission to take m.b.b.s.course in jipmer next year ????

Hi Yes, it is possible to switch to any college even after 1 year of admission into other college provided you are able to clear the entrance exam and fulfill the criterai for gaining...
  img
Sumreet Johar 3 months ago
Physics honors from stephens delhi vs engieering physics from dtu

It depends upon what do you want to do after getting the degree. If you want to pursue Physics further after completion of degree i.e. PhD etc then you should go for Physics Honours at...
  img
Aziz Alam 2 months ago
View all Questions »