ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

why in electrolysis of an aqueous solution of copper sulphate using copper electrodes, sulphate ions and hydroxide ion do not oxidises?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

hi somy, in this table of copper sulphate reaction chart , you can check the reason ...for many sulphate reactions ...

Electrolyte cathode product cathode equation anode product anode equation comments
molten aluminium oxide

Al2O3(l)

molten aluminium Al3+(l) + 3e- ==> Al(l) oxygen gas

2O2-(l) - 4e- ==> O2(g)

or  2O2-(l)  ==> O2(g) + 4e-

Method 2 in principle: The industrial method for the extraction of aluminium its ore
aqueous copper(II) sulfate

CuSO4(aq)

copper deposit any conducting electrode e.g. carbon rod, any metal including copper itself

Cu2+(aq) + 2e- ==> Cu(s)

oxygen gas inert electrode like carbon (graphite rod) or platinum

(i) 4OH-(aq) - 4e- ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g)

or  4OH-(aq) ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g) + 4e-

(ii) 2H2O(l) - 4e- ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g)

or 2H2O(l) ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g) + 4e-

Adapt Method 3 - e.g. use carbon rods: The blue colour of the copper ion will fade as the copper ions are converted to the copper deposit on the cathode
aqueous copper (II) sulphate

CuSO4(aq)

copper deposit any conducting electrode e.g. carbon rod, any metal including copper itself

Cu2+(aq) + 2e- ==> Cu(s)

copper(II) ions - the copper anode dissolves copper anode

Cu(s) - 2e- ==> Cu2+(aq)

or  Cu(s) ==> Cu(s) + 2e-

See Method 3: This is the basis of the method of electroplating any conducting solid with a layer of copper. When using both copper cathode and anode, the blue colour of the copper ion does not decrease because copper deposited at the (-) cathode = the copper dissolving at the (+) anode.
molten sodium chloride

NaCl(l)

molten sodium Na+(l) + e- ==> Na(l) chlorine gas

2Cl-(l) - 2e- ==> Cl2(g)

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e-

Method 2 in principle: This a method used to manufacture sodium and chlorine. See Down's Cell
aqueous sodium chloride solution (brine)

NaCl(aq)

hydrogen

2H+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g)

or 2H3O+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g) + 2H2O(l)

or 2H2O(l) + 2e- ==> H2(g) + 2OH-(aq)

chlorine gas

2Cl-(aq) - 2e- ==> Cl2(g)

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e-

Method 1a: This is the process by which hydrogen, chlorine and sodium hydroxide are manufactured
hydrochloric acid

HCl(aq)

hydrogen gas 2H+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g) chlorine gas

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e- 

Method 1a: All acids give hydrogen at the cathode
sulphuric acid

sulfuric acid

H2SO4(aq)

hydrogen gas 2H+(aq) + 2e- ==> H2(g) oxygen gas

(i) 4OH-(aq) - 4e- ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g)

or  4OH-(aq) ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g) + 4e-

(ii) (+) 2H2O(l) - 4e- ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g)

or 2H2O(l) ==> 4H+(l) + O2(g) + 4e- 

Method 1b: All acids give hydrogen at the cathode. Whereas hydrochloric acid gives chlorine at the anode, the sulfate ion does nothing and instead oxygen is formed. This is the classic 'electrolysis of water'
molten lead(II) bromide

PBr2(l)

molten lead Pb2+(l) + 2e- ==> Pb(l) bromine vapour

2Br-l) - 2e- ==> Br2(g)

or  2Br- ==> Br2 + 2e-

Method 2: A good demonstration in the school laboratory - brown vapour and silvery lump provide good evidence of what's happened
molten calcium chloride

CaCl2(l)

solid calcium Ca2+(aq) + 2e- ==> Ca(s) chlorine gas

or  2Cl- ==> Cl2 + 2e-

Method 2 in principle: The basis of the industrial method for the manufacture of calcium metal

************** ************ **************************************************** ********** ******************************************************* *************************************
4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Sir according to answer key and solution of many coaching institute total 3 questions were wrong in jee main paper 2015.Two were theoretically wrong and in one questions correct option was...

yes bonus will be given to all candidates i.e. around 8-12 numbers approve if useful

ng29 3 months ago

yes minimum 2 que are bonus that are confirmed one from physics and one from maths approve if useful

ng29 3 months ago

are you sure because i am on edge.. And have students got bonus marks last time too?

YOGESH DABRAL 3 months ago
my SC rank is 2717 and AIR is 40592 . Will get a seat in NITK? And on which rank is the seat alloted for SC students?

What do you mean by NIT K? (Khozicode or Khurukshetra). Well let me answer you second question then. The seat allocation will be predominently based on your category rank i.e SC. For more...

Yaswanth Sai 5 days ago

I suggest you to check the current status of NIT Karnataks and find out what is the latest update over there, and secondly your score and category together may land you in an NIT but befor...

Soneel Verma 4 days ago

NITK is NIT karnataka ie Suratkal in manglore

PRAVEEN C NAIK 5 days ago
I HV ATTEMPTED JEE IN 2015. BUT I HAVE NOT GOT SELECTED IN JEE ADVANCE. CAN I TRY FOR ANOTHER TIME/

If you are confident within youu and have scored/prepared well this time, then you can try once more.
  img
Vijay Mukti 13 hours ago
is iit better or nit is better for education as well as salary packages?

Definetely IITs.
  img
Vijay Mukti 4 days ago
sir, I have got 269 in bitsat2015(general).What are my chances of getting a dual degree course in bits goa or hyderabad?

You see last years cutoffs on website of bits but that changes every year nothing can be said precisely but it can give you an idea.
  img
Abhinav one month ago

You should better visit the official websites and get to know about it...if you come up to their expectations, well and good otherwise prefer to visit – Chhattarpati Shivaji Inst of Tech,...

Soneel Verma one month ago

you should see last 3 year cut off to see the trend of increase of cut off. and pls visit its official page for further details

mohit vashishtha 16 days ago
sir ,i have got 164 in mains and 94.6 % in boards.i have scored 269 in bits.which colleges can i get

You should try seeking admission at – Bhagalpur College of Engg, Bhagalpur Lovely Professional University, Phagwara Guru Gobind Singh Inderprastha Uni, Delhi YMCA Uni, Faridabad

Frank Defeo one month ago

sir,do u think i should take a drop to prepare for jee.is there really any difference studying in any normal college and iit?

Ragini L one month ago

and i am from general category.

Ragini L one month ago
View all Questions »