DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu

How to find the moment of inertia of a solid cone about its central axis..??

4 years ago

Answers : (2)

2087_16302_moment of inertia of a cone about axis.jpg

Please approve !

4 years ago

Dear student,

The moment of inertia of a cone about its central axis, start with the standard Intertia equation

I = integral r^2 dm

dm = rho dV (rho is density) (dV is basically volume)

dV = r dr dtheta dx

not going to prove that here but you will see in the integral that this does indeed form the volume. integral will be refered to as int from here on.

This now forms the triple integral

I = rho int(0 to H) int(0 to 2pi) int(0 to r) r^3 dr dtheta dx

solving the integral leaves

I = rho int(0 to H) int(0-2pi) 1/4 r^4 dtheta dx

solving the second integral leaves

I = rho int(0 to H) 1/2 pi r^4 dx

ok so now you have to sub in the equation for r (the radius) of the cone

r = (R/H)x

this is the radius at the base divided by the height of the cone multiplied by the distance along the x axis. this equation gives you r at any point this gives you

I = rho int(0 to H) 1/2 pi [(R/H)x]^4 dx

time to do some housekeeping and take all the constants outside the integral

I = (rho pi R^4) / (2 H^4) int(0 to H) x^4 dx

this can now be solved and simplified to

I = (rho pi R^4 H) / 10

At this stage your solution is complete, however you can tidy up the equation by taking out the mass term.

m = (rho pi H R^2) / 3

split the Inertia term up to serperate out the mass term

I = [(rho pi H R^2) / 3]*[ (3R^2)/10 ]

this is now the complete solution in terms of mass

I = (3mR^2)/10

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

I have got a rank around 7660 in jee advance and around 23000 in jee mains...please can you tell me whether i should opt for repeat or could i get an iit/nit... Please reply fast..

Wait for all counselling sessions and then take the decision. If you are confident and determined that you’ll definitely go for good ranking than previous you can opt other wise stay...
  img
Avinash 2 months ago

Go for IITs, than NITs …..don’t go for taking drop...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 2 months ago

My opinion is never in favour of dropping a year and to start anew, rather to wait and watch, why don’t you retain your patience till the completionof counselling rounds, may be possible...

Soneel Verma 2 months ago
My jee advance rank is 8997(General Category)...after the 2 nd round iit bhu BPharma has gone upto 8389 and MPharma 8434....So can i get iit bhu in 3 rd Round....??

MIght be possible.
  img
Vijay Mukati one month ago

May be, did you check in at the official website of Josaa, if not then immediately go for it,...if you made it there well and good, otherwise go for taking admission at – ITM uni,...

Soneel Verma one month ago

How is Bparma of iit bhu...??if i get should i take it ..? n is there any procedure of branch change in bhu from BPharma...?

Rahul Attrey one month ago
I have a dout that which is difficult,crutial,tuff is JEE MAINS or JEE ADVANCE

JEE Advance is more challenging as compared to JEE mains. Thanks
  img
Vijay Mukati one month ago

In Jee mains your sound knowledge in PCM is assessed and the questions are up to the level of +2 but in case of Advanced your presence of mind, speed to answer maximum right answers etc is...

Ayushmaan Vardhan one month ago
pls tell me which is a better option for cse jaypee noida sec 62 or BIT patna(extension campus for bits mesra) or BIT deoghar(extension campus for bits mesra) or BIT jaipur(extension campus ...

Jaypee Noida.. rest are same..
  img
Saurabh Kumar one month ago

Whenever you are stuck n a fix whether to choose quality conscious college of monetary benefit based collge then a comparson and contrast is justified, but here in your case both the...

which is the best institution for competitive exam coaching in Andhra Pradesh?

Hii If you are looking for Offline coachings you can go to the various brand names but if you are serious enpough to chose online as a platform in where you can study. You can enroll for...
  img
Sourabh Singh 6 months ago

i hv heard there is a institution in hyderabad which is mainly for bitsat preparation …...do anyone knows about it.....if thn plz give me complete info abt it...

mansi dabriwal 3 months ago

Naryana and Srichaitanya have united to form a batch called China batch. You can go to that batch if u r a topper. otherwise go to FIT-JEE

Vasanth Bhaskara 3 months ago
AIEEE OR JEE MAINS MATHEMATICS very good Question , I WANT The answer........ See Attachement.......

These days it is JEEmains that takes place not AIEEE, so you better follow these tips –Stay focused on your studies and keep in mind that one must focus on Physics, Chem and Maths, try to...

View all Questions »
More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details