Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 6,000 off
USE CODE: int40

How to find the moment of inertia of a solid cone about its central axis..??

5 years ago

Answers : (2)

2087_16302_moment of inertia of a cone about axis.jpg

Please approve !

5 years ago

Dear student,

The moment of inertia of a cone about its central axis, start with the standard Intertia equation

I = integral r^2 dm

dm = rho dV (rho is density) (dV is basically volume)

dV = r dr dtheta dx

not going to prove that here but you will see in the integral that this does indeed form the volume. integral will be refered to as int from here on.

This now forms the triple integral

I = rho int(0 to H) int(0 to 2pi) int(0 to r) r^3 dr dtheta dx

solving the integral leaves

I = rho int(0 to H) int(0-2pi) 1/4 r^4 dtheta dx

solving the second integral leaves

I = rho int(0 to H) 1/2 pi r^4 dx

ok so now you have to sub in the equation for r (the radius) of the cone

r = (R/H)x

this is the radius at the base divided by the height of the cone multiplied by the distance along the x axis. this equation gives you r at any point this gives you

I = rho int(0 to H) 1/2 pi [(R/H)x]^4 dx

time to do some housekeeping and take all the constants outside the integral

I = (rho pi R^4) / (2 H^4) int(0 to H) x^4 dx

this can now be solved and simplified to

I = (rho pi R^4 H) / 10

At this stage your solution is complete, however you can tidy up the equation by taking out the mass term.

m = (rho pi H R^2) / 3

split the Inertia term up to serperate out the mass term

I = [(rho pi H R^2) / 3]*[ (3R^2)/10 ]

this is now the complete solution in terms of mass

I = (3mR^2)/10

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

what is the syllabus for jee main 2016???????????????

the syllabus of jee main is given in info bulletein …............................................................................................

Mohit Kumar 3 months ago

didn’t get you answer................. ......................................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ravi 3 months ago
Hi , My rank in the OBC NCL list is 15380 , what are the courses that I can get in NIT trichy or any other NITs ? Thank you

I will suggest you to visit the official website of JEE main to look for the opening and closing rank for previous year of different rounds. All the statistic is available there. Thanks
  img
Vijay Mukati 11 months ago

To get a complete view and a detailed information regarding your stature you need to visit the official weblink of JEE Mains and you may be able to find out the exact stature of yours,...

Soneel Verma 11 months ago
Hi! I am a 12 th student and has cleared jee main.now i am preparing for advanced but i am confused about the minimum marks required for iit indore in advanced in obc catagory.can u pl.tell ...

If you are able to score 2500 plus, there may be brighter chances for getting admission in a high-profile institution like – J B Institute of Technology, Dehradun,........Lovely...

Aneesh Sehgal 9 days ago

your rank should be less than 2000 in advance if you are interested in getting a good branch in iit indore. hope you can achieve what you desire regards sahil

SAHIL 11 days ago

Pl.can u also tell that this rank requires approx how much marks out of 504... and thanks for ur good wishes....

Hemant Oswal 11 days ago
Is bharti bhawan's physics D MUKHERJI sufficient for bitsat for problem solving and for theory DC pandey??

Dear student Yes you can go for Mukherji along with DC Pandey for thoery but don’t neglect your NCERT.You can also go for H.C.Verma and Pradeep for problem solving.
  img
Bhavya one month ago

Fpr Questions you can also go for HC Verma and theory first of all cover NCERT n then you can move to HC Verma along with DC Pandey
  img
Sourabh Singh one month ago

yeah both are good books :)
  img
Nishant Vora one month ago
Rank to get into C.S in IIT M?

For getting CSE in IIT M your rank should be atleast 300.
  img
Abhinav 11 months ago

if u are asking about iit bombay then rank must be below 100 , bcoz one of my frnd had130 rank last year , and he did not get iit bombay cse he is iit delhi APPROVE IF USEFUL

ng29 11 months ago

no it is iit madrass

grenade 11 months ago
WHAT IS THE CUTOFF FOR ELIGIBILY TO GET ADMISSION IN AIIMS?

Hello Student Cut off score is the minimum possible score that candidates must achieve to qualify for AIIMS. Examination authority, decides cut off marks based on different factors such as...
  img
Anjali Ahuja 21 days ago

@ avni the cutoff for aiims varies year by year , so, its important to mention the catagory like GENERAL, OBC, SC/ST ETC . for general its 50 percent score , that means 100/200

Umakant biswal 21 days ago
View all Questions »

• View Details
Get extra R 6,000 off

• View Details

Get extra R 6,000 off