How to find the moment of inertia of a solid cone about its central axis..??

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

2087_16302_moment of inertia of a cone about axis.jpg

Please approve !

3 years ago

Dear student,

The moment of inertia of a cone about its central axis, start with the standard Intertia equation

I = integral r^2 dm

dm = rho dV (rho is density) (dV is basically volume)

dV = r dr dtheta dx

not going to prove that here but you will see in the integral that this does indeed form the volume. integral will be refered to as int from here on.

This now forms the triple integral

I = rho int(0 to H) int(0 to 2pi) int(0 to r) r^3 dr dtheta dx

solving the integral leaves

I = rho int(0 to H) int(0-2pi) 1/4 r^4 dtheta dx

solving the second integral leaves

I = rho int(0 to H) 1/2 pi r^4 dx

ok so now you have to sub in the equation for r (the radius) of the cone

r = (R/H)x

this is the radius at the base divided by the height of the cone multiplied by the distance along the x axis. this equation gives you r at any point this gives you

I = rho int(0 to H) 1/2 pi [(R/H)x]^4 dx

time to do some housekeeping and take all the constants outside the integral

I = (rho pi R^4) / (2 H^4) int(0 to H) x^4 dx

this can now be solved and simplified to

I = (rho pi R^4 H) / 10

At this stage your solution is complete, however you can tidy up the equation by taking out the mass term.

m = (rho pi H R^2) / 3

split the Inertia term up to serperate out the mass term

I = [(rho pi H R^2) / 3]*[ (3R^2)/10 ]

this is now the complete solution in terms of mass

I = (3mR^2)/10

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Hello sir i have scored 81%in A.P.board exams how many marks should i get in jeemains2015?

To have a good rank in JEE-Main, you should have atleast >280 marks. Actually there is a criteria of 60 % of Jee Main along with 40% of +2. So, do hard and find out the previous years JEE...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 2 months ago

Correponding to your marks in A.P. Board. JEE Main Rank:-23000-28000 (JEE Main Score -200) JEE Main Rank-42000-52000 (JEE Main Score-150) These are the few distributions. If you want to the...
  img
Aziz Alam 2 months ago
RIGHT NOW I AM IN CLASS 12 th AND I WANT TO KNOW THAT CAN I APPER FOR IIT ENTRANCE EXAM AFTER 2 YEARS OF PASSING MY 12TH CLASS AND RIGHT NOW MY AGE IS 16+9 PLZ SOME ONE RPLY

Hi, You can sit fior JEE Advanced only in the year your are giving your 12 th board exams, and the year immediately next to it. So you cant appear for the exam after 2 years....
  img
Yash Baheti 4 months ago

what if i dont give the exam immediately after passing 12 , and after having some coaching after 12 for to years

nikhil pawar 3 months ago
sir, Can you please tell me how to apply for tensors 2014,

Hello Student, Go to the website tensor.in and follow the instructions. We at askiitians also have a full fledge testseries providibg you a set of full styllabus test for both jee mains and...
  img
Nishant Vora 4 months ago

Visit our website to buy all india test-series provided by askiitians:- http://www.askiitians.com/packages/PackageDetail.aspx?packageID=17 Thanks
  img
Nishant Vora 4 months ago

sir how can i attend the full test series of ask iitians

AJAY PILLAI K 4 months ago
iit bombay mech vs iit kgp 5 yr dd cse ? i want to pursue higher studies abroad.my jee rank is 419 in cml.

Hi Asket, Both IITs would provide you awesome opportunity to study in abroad like Stanford, MIT, Columbia etc. You need to decide your interest among the two streams. If you do not have any...
  img
Jitender Singh 7 months ago

that means you r interested in engineering. so first choose a branch. look at the curriculum and learn what each industry enables you to do. you cant switch between these 2 branches when you...

Vineet Vinayak 7 months ago
what should be the minimum bench marks for maths and science in class 10 if we target to get entered in a recognised college like aiims

You must have 90+ in the science and maths, although Maths would not be there for preparing AIIMS. Just try hard with the cleared concepts, result would be good. Good...
  img

You must have 90+ atleast in the secondary school exam. Exam like AIIMS, you have to prepare very seroius keeping every concept cleared. Result wll be good, just proceed hard for the...
  img

You must have 90+ atleast in the secondary school exam. Exam like AIIMS, you have to prepare very seroius keeping every concept cleared. Result wll be good, just proceed hard for the...
  img
parabola part 4 doubts

Why tangent? It would take you more time to solve the eqn. Completion of squares of eqn of circle will give you centre and radius. (-2L,0) and radius(2L) Solve for points of intersection of...
  img
Ravi 2 months ago

Try finding the centre and radius of the circle. (Centre is negative and passes through origin). Also, find the point of intersection of circle and parabola, which will give 2 values. One is...
  img
Ravi 2 months ago

i am not getting the answer....i have attached my approach sheet also along with the question....please look into that and tell me what is wrong.....and please give me the ANSWER....

vineet chatterjee 2 months ago
View all Questions »