Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off
USE CODE: MOB20

let a, b and c are unequal real positive numbers such that 2b = a + c, then roots of ax^2 + 2bx + c = 0 are

(i) real and equal (ii) Real and distinct (iii) imaginary (iv) nothing definite can be said

Plz explain

5 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear student,

2b=a+c

Sum of the roots=-2b/a

Product=c/a

This shows the roots are real and distinct...

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

sagarsingh24.iitd@gmail.com

5 years ago

for any quadratic eq  ax2+bx+c roots are given by

X = {-b+_ D)/2a

D =discriminant = (b2-4ac)1/2

our eq is ax2+2bx+c so

D = {(2b)2-4ac)1/2 ........1

2b = a+c  (given)

so , (2b)2 = (a+c)2 ...........2

putting  eq2 in eq1

D = { (a+c)2 - 4ac}1/2  =  { a2+c2-2ac}1/2 ={(a-c)2}1/2 =a-c

now roots are

X = (-2b +_ D}/2a = {-2b + (a-c)}/2a     or        {-2b-(a-c)}/2a                                   

= -c/a                      or        -1                                  (on putting 2b =a+c )

so the roots are unequal & real

option (ii) is correct

5 years ago

the equation is ax^2+2bx+c=0

the discriminant is= B^2-4AC

A=a,B=2b,C=c

discriminant= 4b^2-4ac

but 2b=a+c, therefore (2b)^2=(a+c)^2

= (a+c)^2-4ac

=a^2+c^2+2ac-4ac

=a^2+c^2-2ac

=(a-c)^2, which is always greater than zero

therefore roots are real and distinct

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on IIT JEE Entrance Exam

i got 74 marksin jee mains ,can i get a NIT seat with this marks ,my category is bc-b,please tell me the answer??

WHY NOT DEAR FRIEND, ALL THESE COURSES IF DONE FROM SUCH A REPUTED COLLEGE LIKE NIT HAVE A GREAT IMPORTANCE AND SURELY YOU WILL GET A GOOD JOB AFTER DOING THEM. REGARDS SAHIL

SAHIL 2 months ago

No dear, your score is not that good and category wise lists are prepared lateer on , prior to that a genereal merit based list is prepared..if you truly wish to rack into an IIT or an NIT...

Aneesh Sehgal 2 months ago

HI RAJESH YOU CANNOT GET BRANCHES LIKE COMPUTER SCIENCE AS THERE CUTOFF IS MUCH MORE HIGHER THAN MARKS OBTAINED BY YOU. YOU CAN GET BRANCHES LIKE BIO TECHNOLOGY, TEXTILE, INSTRUMENTAL AND...

SAHIL 2 months ago
which subject is most important in jee exam

Stay focused on your studies and keep in mind that one must focus on Physics, Chem and Maths, try to fortify these three, take some coaching classes from a reputed place like Akash Inst etc,...

Rahul 8 months ago

ALL 3 SUBJECTS ARE MOST IMPORTANT FOR JEE EXAM EACH EXAM CARRIES SAME MARKS YOU PREPARE 3 SUBJECTS EQUALLY AND ALSO GIVE THIER TO EQUAL TO PREPARING PHYSICS PREPARE WEL WHY BECAUSE STUDENTS ...

L GOUSE BASHA 10 months ago

All the 3 subjects(PCM) are equally important in jee exam. So, don’t neglect any of them. Distribute your time equally and smartly for all the 3 subjects. Also, revise the topics which you...

Aritra Kundu 10 months ago
what books i have to used for jee exam preparation. i am a dropper.

@ yashwant If u are a dropper assuming that u have an idea about each and every concept of class 11 th and 12 th . u can use the following books for your preparation 1- concept of physics...

Umakant biswal 8 days ago
which intitute"s is best

Hi, Cant comment on that, but i can tell you that if you'd like, you can try askiitians.com's online iit-jee coaching. Regards, Rajat

Askiitian.Expert Rajat 6 years ago
what is state management in web application?why it is required ? give me list of state managemenet objects?

View state, control state, hidden fields, cookies, and query strings all involve storing data on the client in various ways. However, application state, session state, and profile...
  img
Kevin Nash 7 years ago

A new instance of the Web page class is created each time the page is posted to the server. In traditional Web programming, this would typically mean that all information associated with...
  img
Jitender Pal 7 years ago
I wanna know that what docs IITs check of an OBC – NCL Candidate.. And information about the format ( WHAT IS THE USE OF THE FORMAT ON WEBSITE)

OBC-NCL certificate issued on or after June 1, 2015 and conforming to the latest guidelines of the Government of India.is required at time of seeking admission thanks

SAHIL one month ago

@rishabh The OBC – NCL certificate will doesnot require in any format, the only thing that u have to keep in mind that it will clear irrespective of the format . but this year as iit...

Umakant biswal one month ago

@umakant biswal I’m asking about the from they have on IIT’s Website about OBC NCL Certificate.. And another ques. .. Will they check the income certificate also at IIT or only the OBC...

Rishabh one month ago
View all Questions »

• View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

• View Details

Get extra R 3,000 off