ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

let a, b and c are unequal real positive numbers such that 2b = a + c, then roots of ax^2 + 2bx + c = 0 are

(i) real and equal (ii) Real and distinct (iii) imaginary (iv) nothing definite can be said

Plz explain

4 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear student,

2b=a+c

Sum of the roots=-2b/a

Product=c/a

This shows the roots are real and distinct...

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

sagarsingh24.iitd@gmail.com

4 years ago

for any quadratic eq  ax2+bx+c roots are given by

X = {-b+_ D)/2a

D =discriminant = (b2-4ac)1/2

our eq is ax2+2bx+c so

D = {(2b)2-4ac)1/2 ........1

2b = a+c  (given)

so , (2b)2 = (a+c)2 ...........2

putting  eq2 in eq1

D = { (a+c)2 - 4ac}1/2  =  { a2+c2-2ac}1/2 ={(a-c)2}1/2 =a-c

now roots are

X = (-2b +_ D}/2a = {-2b + (a-c)}/2a     or        {-2b-(a-c)}/2a                                   

= -c/a                      or        -1                                  (on putting 2b =a+c )

so the roots are unequal & real

option (ii) is correct

4 years ago

the equation is ax^2+2bx+c=0

the discriminant is= B^2-4AC

A=a,B=2b,C=c

discriminant= 4b^2-4ac

but 2b=a+c, therefore (2b)^2=(a+c)^2

= (a+c)^2-4ac

=a^2+c^2+2ac-4ac

=a^2+c^2-2ac

=(a-c)^2, which is always greater than zero

therefore roots are real and distinct

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
sir will I be taught for jee main as well as there are hardly 20 days for that

Please specify your details from which batch you are. If you are not student at askiitians please give us your details like contact information. We will get back to you.
  img
Harsh Patodia 17 days ago
Are the following books sufficient to get a rank below 1000 in IIT-JEE 2016 ? Mathematics Trigonometry : S.L. Loney Coordinate Geometry : S.L. Loney Algebra, Calculus, Vectors and 3D...

friend , your book selection in physics is good. ok in chemistry. but according to me , you need some books in math. i also have s n lonely and r d sharma,but i have purchased arihant...

Abhishek Pachauri 3 months ago

yes friend u should definitely take a look at arihant series .. specially the theory of the arihant books are simple and easy to understand and the content revolves around jee

Puneet Rai one month ago

These are good but. MAthematics- G. TIWANI, Chemistry- RC MUKHERJEE, MORRISION BOYD, JD LEE. Physics- RESNICK HALLIDAY, BM SHARMA SERIES ARE BEST

sachin sinha 3 months ago
Next number 2, 5, 11, 20, 32, 47?

3 rd on1: Solution: i) t₂ - t₁ = 5 - 2 = 3 t₃ - t₂ = 6 t₄ - t₃ = 9 and so on... So let the nth term - (n-1)th term be = x. ii) Sum of all the above = nth term - t₁ = 3 + 6 + 9 + ----- [This...

vikas yadav 10 days ago

second method: Series 2, 5, 11, 20, 32, 47 Find = next number In this series each digit has the difference of 3,6,9,12,15 etc.. so next series will have the difference of 18. It means next...

vikas yadav 10 days ago

Yeah absolutely keep adding the multiples of 3 in your given series. 3+2=5 6+5=11 9+11=20 12+20=23 15+32=47 18+47=65 So the next number will 65.

vikas yadav 10 days ago
The magnetic field in a region is given by B = B 0 ( 1 + x /a) k . A square loop of edge length d is placed with its edge along x and y axes. The loop is now moved with constant velocity V =...

emf = d(flux)/dt = d(BA)/dt = Ad(1+x/a)B 0 /dt =d 2 B 0 V 0 /a

Himaja 4 months ago

Emf=B*l*v =Bo(1+x/a)*d*Vo

parthasarathy 4 months ago
A rhombus is formed by two radii and two chords of a circle whose radius is 16 feet. The area of the rhombus in square feet is:

The rhombus lies in the cricle with 3 vertices of the rhombus lying on the cirlce and 4 th vertex at the centre. The 4 sides are equal to the radius of the circle, i.e. 16 feet. The two...
  img
Ravi 4 months ago
i am confused for taking admission to mnit jaipur electrical engineering or DTU,delhi ( at 3 rd round i have got environment engineering in DTU) I have got 13800 rank in jee main 2014 and i...

The branch which you are getting at MNIT Jaipur is very appealing. It’s a branch with ample academics oppurtunities and placements. But you can wait for the last round of counselling...
  img
Sourabh Singh 8 months ago
View all Questions »