There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

a right cone is inscribed in a sphere of radius R. Let S=f(x) be the functional relationship between the lateral surface area S of the cone and its gereratrix x then the find the value of f(R) and if x is such that x to the power n, n>= 6 is negligible then find S.

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hii vashuda

First of all before reading this...draw the geometry of the condition given....i am assuming that u have drawn a sphere a cone ...with

Slant height = x  radius of cone = r  and heigh of cone = h

Radiius of sphere = R after this read my solution

The height of the cone h = R + (something)

something = distance of centre from the base of the need to find this something okk

Let it be z

then by applying a few strength on mind you will get ..

z = root( R^2 - r^2)   [ because there is a small right angle triangle formed by side R , r and z with R as largest side )

Now surface area  S = π.r.x= f(x)

again x , h and r form a rt.angled triangle..

x^2 = h^2 + r^2  => x^2 = (R+z)^2 + r^2    =  R^2 + z^2 + 2.z.R + r^2

x^2 = R^2 + R^2 -r^2 +  2.root(R^2-r^2).R + r^2 

x^2 = 2.R^2  + 2.root(R^2-r^2).R 

now put x=R

R^2 = 2.R^2 + 2.root(R^2 -r^2).R

-R^2 = 2.root(R^2 -r^2).R

-R = 2.root( R^2 -r^2)

R^2 = 4.(R^2 - r^2)

4r^2  = 3R^2

or  r = R.root(3)/2 --------(1)

f(x) = pi.x.r

So f(R) = pi.R.( R.root(3)/2 ) =  root(3).pi.R^2 / 2    ans ....

If u r unable to understand my steps...then please ask furthure...

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Please give expert advice for the following three queries. I am from Tamil Nadu and studying Chemical Engineering in NIT Trichy. If I get IT in IIIT Allahabad, IT in NIT Allahabad, CSE in...
@ srihari I.T IN NIT ALLHABAD IS THE FRST PREFRENCE AND GIVE 2ND PREFERENCE TO I.T IN IIIT ALLHABAD . cancell the rest of the thing from yopur choice , and choose wisely what u have to do...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Dear Student, you are already at a very good place, I am unable to make out what drives you crazy to think of comparing and contrasting titanic institutions and then expecting to choose one ...
Aneesh Sehgal 3 months ago
I will be appearing for iit jee in 2018. Which lessons should I study this year in 11 th and which books should I prefer?
@ RADHIKA all the chapters which are there in ncert are vital for jee prep. so, make a coverage of all the chapter that are in the ncert syllabus , and if u will be in cbse syllabus , then...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
please visit the below mentioned link to check syllabus thanks and approve my answer post for further queries thanks again
SAHIL 2 months ago
sir/mam i want to ask is zero even or odd or both or none which one should i consider
hi gaurabg zer is considered as a even number. a number is considered as even if it is divisible by 2 exactly. only due to this reason we consider zero as even thanks post if still some...
SAHIL one month ago
Hello Gaurang , According to me zero should be considered as even ,because of its divisibility by 2 , as we know a number is said to be even if its divisible by 2.
jus one month ago
Hi Gaurang According to me an integer is odd if dividing it by 2 does not yeilds an integer but on dividing 0 by 2 we get an integer “0” so 0 is even
Ankit Jaiswal one month ago
i will appear in iitjee in 2011 . how should i prepare for it ?
Dear rounik Fitst I will suggest you to join any coaching classes.Because as you are preapearing for IIT JEE then you will face a tough comptition. coaching classes can guide in a better...
Badiuddin askIITians.ismu Expert 6 years ago
I m doing bsc in biotechnology from jamia Delhi what are the various entrances I must apply and will I get placed after doing MSC from reputed institution?and which will be better subject to...
@ anusha yes , u must choose msc in biotech , as changing the branch now will; affect you a lot as far as placement are concerned . so, better to stay in the current branches , and...
Umakant biswal 6 days ago
in maths which topics can take less time and give good marks in jee
Dear Student, You must target -Probability,Permutation and Combination,Statistics,Circles,Straight Lines,Pairs of Straight Lines, Trigonometry as well. Thanks.
Vijay Mukati one year ago
View all Questions »

• View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

• View Details

Get extra R 3,750 off

More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts