Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 6,000 off
USE CODE: int40

let (h,k) be a fixed point where h,k>0.a straight line passing through this point cuts the positive direction of coordinate axes at points P and Q.find the minimum area of the triangle OPQ

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Rahul,

lets take the equation of line to be x/a + y/b = 1 where line intersects x axia at ( a, 0 ) and y axis at (0,b)

Since line passes thru (h,k) therefore h/a + k/b = 1. ------- (1)

A = area of triangle OPQ = 1/2 * a*b

from eqn (1)

A = 1/2 * b * hb / ( b- K ) ( putting value of a from (1) into A )

= 1/2*b2h/(b - k)

to calculate min value of A, dA/db = 1/2 * h * ( b2 - 2bk ) / ( b-k )2

dA / db = 0 when b2 - 2bk = 0

or b -2k = 0

or b = 2k

At this value of b = 2k , the d2A / db2 is positive that is Minimum of A occurs at this value.

Putting in (1) a = 2h

Thus Minimum value of A occurs when a = 2h and b = 2k

Hence Min(A) = 1/2 * a * b = 1/2 * 2h * 2k = 2hk

Thus Minimum area of traingle OPQ is 2hk.

Please feel free to ask as many questions you have.

Puneet

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

I HV ATTEMPTED JEE IN 2015. BUT I HAVE NOT GOT SELECTED IN JEE ADVANCE. CAN I TRY FOR ANOTHER TIME/

If you are confident within youu and have scored/prepared well this time, then you can try once more.
  img
Vijay Mukati 10 months ago

Yes why not, and if you want to pursue your degree at some other equally reputed institution, then I may suggest to visit the official websites of a few reputed and esteemed institutions to ...

Ayushmaan Vardhan 10 months ago

yes , why not if you are good student and if you are confident that you crack this time then you have to do it because when a person loss something in first time then he try more better...

ankit raj 9 months ago
what is full of form of iit?

U r in 11 standard and don't know the full form of IIT And I being in class 9 know it πŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‰. Well …..its.....Indian Institute of Technology...

Riddhi Gupta 8 months ago

itna bada hua ne iit ki full form ni aati hai.................. …................................................................... ......................ganwar foliish

Neel Upadhyay 5 months ago

sorry answer Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)

SHANMUKESHWAR 9 months ago
Hello Sir! My rank in JEE Mains is 968 in OBC category. NIT Trichy 2014 CUT OFF for CSE Branch OBCO-383 OBCC-1180 (1st round) What is my chance of getting seat in the first round itself?...

You can get CSE at NIT Trichy...of course..
  img
Saurabh Kumar 11 months ago

You may surely get CSE branch in NIT Trichy and if you are not sure that you’ll exel in it and wish to switch to another branch or institution then you may visit the official websites of...

dont worry Cse is confirm for you in trichy,even if not in first round you will get it in second round for sure

Prajwal Kavad 11 months ago
Sir i got 63 marks in jee advance 2016 will i get any iit college and my category is obc

http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/advanced/rank-predictor.html Above link will let youn know the estimated rank on the basis of which you can get an idea whether you will be eligible for an ...
  img
Ankit 9 hours ago
Sir counselling date showing is 6 july and I missed it , now what should I do

Contat them regarding this.
  img
Vijay Mukati 10 months ago

Try to visit their official weblink and try to show your interest to participate , if you get a chance, nothing like that, else try at some other equally reputed institutions, like – The...

Yes you can wait for other rounds too, no one knows you being given a seat in the upcoming rounds, but i had suggested the names of leading institutions in case you don’t make it this...

after first iterations bitsat had cut off 306 …..will i get anything under 293 score

You may get it …..to be sure you may visit the official website of BITS to find out the current status of your seat ,.......if you made it , well and good , else try at other prominent...

View all Questions Β»

• View Details
Get extra R 6,000 off

• View Details

Get extra R 6,000 off