Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off
USE CODE: asksch20

let (h,k) be a fixed point where h,k>0.a straight line passing through this point cuts the positive direction of coordinate axes at points P and Q.find the minimum area of the triangle OPQ

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Rahul,

lets take the equation of line to be x/a + y/b = 1 where line intersects x axia at ( a, 0 ) and y axis at (0,b)

Since line passes thru (h,k) therefore h/a + k/b = 1. ------- (1)

A = area of triangle OPQ = 1/2 * a*b

from eqn (1)

A = 1/2 * b * hb / ( b- K ) ( putting value of a from (1) into A )

= 1/2*b2h/(b - k)

to calculate min value of A, dA/db = 1/2 * h * ( b2 - 2bk ) / ( b-k )2

dA / db = 0 when b2 - 2bk = 0

or b -2k = 0

or b = 2k

At this value of b = 2k , the d2A / db2 is positive that is Minimum of A occurs at this value.

Putting in (1) a = 2h

Thus Minimum value of A occurs when a = 2h and b = 2k

Hence Min(A) = 1/2 * a * b = 1/2 * 2h * 2k = 2hk

Thus Minimum area of traingle OPQ is 2hk.

Please feel free to ask as many questions you have.

Puneet

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on IIT JEE Entrance Exam

sir,i want to to ask you that i am in 11 class and how i will start preparation for jee main

@ chirag you have ample of time to prepare for iitjee , so, start with the ncert books right now . and join to askiitian and its test series , they will have a great benifit as they will...

Umakant biswal one month ago

PLEASE VISIT THIS LINK. ALL THESE TIPS WILL HELP YOU IN BETTER PREPERATIONS http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/main/preparation-tips/ THANKS

SAHIL one month ago
CBSE board one person got 481 and 179 in board and jee Mains respectively other one got 475 and 183. But their jee Mains rank is in 4000s and 8000s. Both are in general category. Does it...

@ thiagar HOW can that happen ?? the rank will not come in that much diffrence , you have 60 percent weightage for jee main score , and 40 percent weightage for board marks or percentage ....

It is little confusing dear, actually, if you aspire to get a seat in a reputed institution then you need to perform well in JEE or else you may try seeking admission in a reputed...

Aneesh Sehgal one month ago

Thanks for your answer. No 475 and 481 are cbse board marks. In the Jee Main Rank card the 475 mark had a normalised scored of 184 and 481 had a normalised score of 226.

Thiagarajan one month ago
I​ got a a new mark sheet from board after re-evaluation few weeks before jeemain result but still cbseresults.nic.in continues to display previous result .even I doubt my jeemain rank...

@ akshya This is a very harsh condition . ryt now what u can do is to send a mail to the cbse , that in the website , my previous marks are showing .. beacuse the error occured at the cbse...

I got 154 in jee mains and 92.8 percent in CBSE board.. Can I get admission in IIITs.

Yes dear, you ahve chances as you have a very good score in Jee as well as board, still you need to visit the official weblink of an IIT to get to know the status overthere and also about...

Aneesh Sehgal 2 months ago

hi aurea please predict your all india rank using your jee advance marks and if your rank is below 10,000 then chances ARE there. To predict your rank visit...

SAHIL 2 months ago
MY JEEMAINS RANKIG IS 6121 ,GEN CATEGORY,HS-PATNA.WHICH BEST COLLEGE I GET??

please visit http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/main/college-branch-predictor.html thanks and post if still some doubts

SAHIL one month ago
My board marks got changed but cbse.nic.in. Continue to display previous marks.what should be done now even main rank. ccalculated on it what to be done now ​

I AM NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND YOU SANJAY. WRITE YOUR QUESTION IN A BETTER WAY. HOPE FOR A BRIGH FUTURE . GOOD LUCK.

ADITI SINGH one month ago
View all Questions »

• View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

• View Details

Get extra R 3,000 off