Use Coupon: CART40 and get 40% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

let (h,k) be a fixed point where h,k>0.a straight line passing through this point cuts the positive direction of coordinate axes at points P and Q.find the minimum area of the triangle OPQ

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Rahul,

lets take the equation of line to be x/a + y/b = 1 where line intersects x axia at ( a, 0 ) and y axis at (0,b)

Since line passes thru (h,k) therefore h/a + k/b = 1. ------- (1)

A = area of triangle OPQ = 1/2 * a*b

from eqn (1)

A = 1/2 * b * hb / ( b- K ) ( putting value of a from (1) into A )

= 1/2*b2h/(b - k)

to calculate min value of A, dA/db = 1/2 * h * ( b2 - 2bk ) / ( b-k )2

dA / db = 0 when b2 - 2bk = 0

or b -2k = 0

or b = 2k

At this value of b = 2k , the d2A / db2 is positive that is Minimum of A occurs at this value.

Putting in (1) a = 2h

Thus Minimum value of A occurs when a = 2h and b = 2k

Hence Min(A) = 1/2 * a * b = 1/2 * 2h * 2k = 2hk

Thus Minimum area of traingle OPQ is 2hk.

Please feel free to ask as many questions you have.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Sir is it possible to add more choices after each round of counseling? If possible then how?
Not possibile.
Vijay Mukati 4 months ago
Mind you, if once a seat has been allocated from the backend by Josaa, there can be nochnge of choice at all. Be contended with what has been offered or else try at some other places where...
Soneel Verma 4 months ago
got 15321 rank in jee advance 2015 passed AAT please suggest a branch that i can get in any iit also concider b arch as an option and the odds to get that branch jee main rank 35000 , would ...
With this rank, its very rare chance to get IITs, but attend all round of counselling, probably you get...
Saurabh Kumar 4 months ago
The rank that you have scored, does not seem to be much encouraging still I suggest you to visit the official website of Jeemains to find out the current status and also keep an eye on...
Ayushmaan Vardhan 4 months ago
Which college provides better placements? Ism dhanbad or the NIT`s? And why?
The rate of placements varies everywhere, no educational organization can commit hundred percent placement in all branches it is generally 85 to 95% and may be somewhere less than that as...
It depends on the branch you take.ISM is obviously above than NIT’s but if the branch you take is low in ISM than you should take NIT.
Akshit Matthew 4 months ago
which branch should i go with, biotech at iit madras or biotech at iit kanpur or metallurgy at iit kharagpur? my rank in jee advanced 2015 is 5300.
i am the same person as the questioner, and i would like to add that i have no specific branch interests. i’d prefer a branch with better campus placements :) Thank you.
Rishab 5 months ago
hello bro how to prepare for jee mains
Dikshit Sai 5 months ago
Hello Sir, In the recent JEE Advanced 2015 , I have got seat in IIT Jodhpur for Mechanical Engineering.I also have BITS Goa for Mechanical Engineering. Which institute should I go for now ?
If the placements of any institute is better then other that directly means that the quality of education is better there. Regarding infrastructure, ofcourse BITS will have better as IITJ is...
I suggest to visit the official weblinks of both the institutions and check out the status of fee structure and placement data, and accordingly you may make a choice, otherwise both the...
If fees is no problem for you then go for BITs goa else go for iit (but keep in mind that iit j is a new one)
Prajwal Kavad 4 months ago
i have rank in jee adv 2134 can i get seat in cs iit bhu
Seems to be very difficult, but you can see it in other IITs. Thanks,
just try and apply in all other IITs coz chances are a little low in IIT bhu
Prajwal Kavad 4 months ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn