Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off
USE CODE: sch25

let (h,k) be a fixed point where h,k>0.a straight line passing through this point cuts the positive direction of coordinate axes at points P and Q.find the minimum area of the triangle OPQ

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Rahul,

lets take the equation of line to be x/a + y/b = 1 where line intersects x axia at ( a, 0 ) and y axis at (0,b)

Since line passes thru (h,k) therefore h/a + k/b = 1. ------- (1)

A = area of triangle OPQ = 1/2 * a*b

from eqn (1)

A = 1/2 * b * hb / ( b- K ) ( putting value of a from (1) into A )

= 1/2*b2h/(b - k)

to calculate min value of A, dA/db = 1/2 * h * ( b2 - 2bk ) / ( b-k )2

dA / db = 0 when b2 - 2bk = 0

or b -2k = 0

or b = 2k

At this value of b = 2k , the d2A / db2 is positive that is Minimum of A occurs at this value.

Putting in (1) a = 2h

Thus Minimum value of A occurs when a = 2h and b = 2k

Hence Min(A) = 1/2 * a * b = 1/2 * 2h * 2k = 2hk

Thus Minimum area of traingle OPQ is 2hk.

Please feel free to ask as many questions you have.

Puneet

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on IIT JEE Entrance Exam

Hello Sir I am Akshatha I am a jee aspirant I joined my coaching class recently and it was bit late so I am lagging behind in syllabus and I am finding it very difficult to manage my time...

@ akshatha Actually , everyone who is in the school are finding the same problem , Kindly let me know , which class you are in now ?? and i am suggesting some time management tips below ,...

Umakant biswal 17 days ago
two forces 12 N and 16N are acting upon a body.what can be the maximum and minimum resultant force on the body?

The resultant of two forces acting on the same point is maximum when the forces are acting in the same direction and minimum when they operate in opposite direction. When the two forces are ...

SAHIL 11 days ago
how maNY tyms a person could attempt the exam

JEE advanced can be attempted for maximum of 2 times. Thanks.
  img
Vijay Mukati one year ago

Three attempt for JEE mains. Thanks
  img
Vijay Mukati one year ago

One can attempt JEE mains for thrice and Jee advance for twice and that too in subsequent years back to back, and you may follow these tips for preparation –Stay focused on your studies and ...

Ayushmaan Vardhan one year ago
My Son got 216 in Mains. He got 97.9 in Telangana Intermediate Board. we belongs to General category. Is he get a seat in top NITs with CSE Branch?

Dear parent, Pls check opening and closing rank of college and branch that you want to take admission in on its official website
  img
Nishant Vora 2 months ago

Both the scores in board as well as JEE mains are quite good, yes there may be a chance to get in an NIT but the best way for this query is to visit the weblink of NIT and to check cutoff...

Aneesh Sehgal 2 months ago
Hello I m Abdul maher my rank is 14000 n my caste is obc can I expect any iit or should I go for nit

Dear friend, the rank hat you have mentioned, does not guarantee a seat at an IIT rather you may visit the official website of JEE Mains and getb to know which NIT is suitable for your rank ...

Aneesh Sehgal one month ago

you go for nit you didnt get seat in iit so you apply for nit.................................all the best......................................

raj one month ago
Sir, I am a student of computer science & engineering. I have completed my 1st year. You know that, the coming future for IT workers is not so good as before. Now in this situation, my...

Hi The IT sector is still on a rise, although the rise is not at the same pace. Today also, IT sector is one of the desired career options. about ur ques regarding the M Tech preparation ,...

AskiitianExpert Shine 7 years ago
View all Questions »

• View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

• View Details

Get extra R 3,750 off