In my physics book there are formulas, they are written in both ways directly or in vector form. For eg. v=rw (w=omega) and in vector form v = w x r So how will i know the order of writing the cross product of which element should i write first and which element second in my case w=first and r=second. So should i remember the order of each formula or is there a trick used to write this formula in correct order, please tell me the trick to write !! Thank you.

In my physics book there are formulas, they are written in both ways directly or in vector form.
For eg. v=rw (w=omega)
and in vector form v = w x r
So how will i know the order of writing the cross product of which element should i write first and which element second in my case w=first and r=second.

So should i remember the order of each formula or is there a trick used to write this formula in correct order, please tell me the trick to write !!

Thank you.

Grade:12

3 Answers

Sumit Majumdar IIT Delhi
askIITians Faculty 137 Points
9 years ago
Dear student,
Angular velocity is related as:
\boldsymbol\omega=\frac{\mathbf{r}\times\mathbf{v}}{|\mathrm{\mathbf{r}}|^2}
This is found by rotating the radial vector along the translation velocity.
Hence follows the right hand thumb rule for finding the direction of angular velocity.
Regards
Sumit
deepanshu bhatt
18 Points
9 years ago
 in a vactor product there is no same answer of any cross product beacouse it shows directions also like a cross b is not equal to b cross a

deepanshu bhatt
18 Points
9 years ago
 in a vactor product there is no same answer of any cross product beacouse it shows directions also like a cross b is not equal to b cross a

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free