Continue Shopping

X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

What is ultrasonic interferometer?

4 years ago

Answers : (5)

Dear Pavankumar .D,

Ultrasonic Interferometer is a device used to calculate the velocity of ultrasonic sound through different liquid media.

This has some very good applications which you can learn later i think !

All the Best & Good Luck !!

Hope thishelped you immensely..

Please approve my answer if you liked it by clicking on "Yes" given below...!!Smile

4 years ago

Ultrasonic interferometer is a simple device which yields accurate and consistent data, from which one can determine the velocity of ultrasonic sound in a liquid medium.

The schematic diagram of an ultrasonic interferometer is shown below.

In an ultrasonic interferometer, the ultrasonic waves are produced by piezoelectric method. In a fixed frequency variable path interferometer, the wavelength of the sound used is measured, and from this one can calculate its velocity through that medium. The apparatus consists of an ultrasonic cell, which is a double walled brass cell with chromium plated surfaces and has a capacity of 10ml. The schematic diagram of an ultrasonic interferometer is shown below. The micrometer screw has a least count of 0.001cm and pitch scale has a length of 25mm. Ultrasonic waves of known frequency are produced by a quartz crystal which is fixed at the bottom of the cell. There is a movable metallic plate parallel to the quartz plate, which reflects the waves. These waves superimpose and if the separation between the plates is exactly a whole number multiple of wavelength of sound, standing waves are produced in the liquid medium. At this point, acoustic resonance occurs and this give rise to an electrical reaction on the generator driving quartz plate. Now the anode current of the generator becomes maximum.

If we increase or decrease the distance and the variation is exactly one half of the wavelength (λ/2) or its multiple, the anode current again becomes maximum. If ‘d’is the   separation between successive adjacent maximum anode current, then,

d = λ/2.

v:unknown * { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } o:unknown * { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } w:unknown * { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } .shape { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) }

We have, the velocity (v) of a wave is related to its wavelength (λ) by the relation,

v=fλ, where f is the frequency of the wave.

Then,   v= λf= 2df.

The velocity of ultrasound is determined principally by the compressibility of the material of the medium. For a medium with high compressibility, the velocity will be less. Adiabatic compressibility of a fluid is a measure of the relative volume change of the fluid as a response to a pressure change. Compressibility is the reciprocal of bulk modulus, and is usually denoted by the Greek word beta (β).The adiabatic compressibility of the material of the sample can be calculated using the equation,

where ρ is the density of the material of the medium and v is the velocity of the sound wave through that medium.

4 years ago

I want to know more applications of Ultrasonic Interferometer and basic concept behind that so please tell me ?

2 years ago
                                        why we use only such type of liquids like benzene and carbon tetrachloride in ultrasonic interferometer experiment to find velocity

one year ago
                                        hai

one year ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On General Physics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
I want answer with full solution.

the 2kg body hanging through string moves downwards and equation for it is: mg – T = ma here m = 2kg. for the body on horizontal surface T = ma. equate and you’ll get the answer :)

Neeti 3 days ago
The escape velocity from earth is v e .A body is projected with a velocity of 2v e . With what constant vellocity will it move in the inter plan etary space. OPTIONS;- 1 :- V e 2 :- 3^ 1/2...

Apply conservation of energy. Initially when body is on earth, Total energy = kinetic plus potential. And finally when it starts moving in interplanetary space, assuming potential energy at ...

Neeti 2 days ago

Oh and btw the answer is 3 1/2 v e :) And a correction, the potential energy will be GMm/R not GMm/R 2 . Use v e in place of GMm/R when you equate the two equations and the entire equation...

Neeti 2 days ago
I want answer with full solution

2) avg velocity=(displacement)/(time taken) =(range)/(time of flight) =ucos(alpha) PLZ approve if correct n use full in case of any doubts put it in ans box....

Nicho priyatham 19 days ago

alter(conceptual guss): the component of velocity ucos(alpha) remains same through out d journey so it remains unchanged and vertical compponent is upward half of d journy n downward...

Nicho priyatham 19 days ago
Why is there a rolling motion

Rolling motion occurs when there is rotational and translational motion. rotational motion occurs when a force provides torque for rotation to the body which is also moving in the...

Neeti 3 days ago
what would be the electric field due to Non-Conducting Solid Sphere (Gaussian surgace ) tommorow is my school fa

(i) Outside point (ii) Inside point q = total charge = volume density of charge
  img
Abhinav 2 months ago

u can solve this question by assuming that sphere to be a gaussian surface the then u will get the answer as stated above

grenade 2 months ago
sir why ther is difference between field due to dipole anf electric field

Hello Student, Actually in dipole the field is created by 2 charges particle of opposite charge. And there is no such difference it is proportional to 1/r^3 that’s it but that only...
  img
Arun Kumar one year ago

The dipole is pair of two equal and opposite charges so field due to it represents the vector sum of filed due to bothe the charges, but from one charge it is a single field.
  img
Sher Mohammad one year ago
View all Questions »