Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Kinematics & Rotational Motion
  • View Details
Get extra R 600 off

ust got to thinking about interference, if we have two sources (say a laser beam split in two), and introduce a phase shift between the two by making them travel different path lengths, then recombine them, we see fringes in the wavefront right. (interferometry)

My problem is this, if we have two perfectly monochromatic and perfectly collimated (i.e. no divergence as they propagate out to infinity) beams, the fringes would not be visible right? as the transverse pattern occurs due to the fact that the beams are indeed slightly divergent. You would however see a spot of light whose brightness in proportional to the phase difference between the two beams.

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear nitin,

If I understand you correctly, it is true that in order to use interfereometry as a tool, there needs to be some bias present (some fringes) to increase the accuracy.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on General Physics

This equation is derived by using friction force and normal if cos of angle of banking will be greater than sin of angle of bankig this formula will give imaginary speed what do this...
The Normal force derived with friction in banking terms is: N = mg/(costhetha – usinthetha) with thetha be wedge inclination angle. and the conditon should satisfy as: Fnet = Fcentriputal...
Vikas TU one month ago
VggfVggffgffhhvg++----575777from teg this give give g6gdgugtfgjg gghgggggg
Pls type a suitable question.
Saurabh Kumar 2 months ago
Dear Manish Shaw, Plz post your question clearly and in small way. I will be very delightful to answer your question. Thankyou!
Vikas TU 2 months ago
What is the relationship between power radiated by an antennae with its length and the wavelength of the wave it radiates?
Let ‘l’ be the length of the antennae and ‘x’ be the wavelength of the wave. Then power radiated by the antennae is proportional to (l/x) 2
Adarsh 2 months ago
wha is frequency
Frequency describes the number of waves that pass a fixed place in a given amount of time. So if the time it takes for a wave to pass is 1/2 second, the frequency is 2 per second. If it...
Vijay Mukati one year ago
In physics The frequency is the number of waves per second. Its unit is Hz or Hertz. Humans can hear sounds having frequencies between 20 Hz and 20000 Hz or 20 kHz. Sounds having...
A M S ARUN KRISHNA one year ago
The reciprocal of time period of time is called frequency... (or) The numbers of cycles per unit time. f = 1/T
Gavvala Ganesh one year ago
Sir, our coaching center does not have a good physics teacher. Attending his class is same as not attending. I am very scared for my physics. The exams are in less than a year. Please tell...
Dear student First of all try to understand basic physics in school.If possible buy pradeep’s physics though the chapters given in it are deeply explained (which is sometimes not...
Bhavya one month ago
@ DAOLAGUPU why do u think that attending the class donot have any any meaning ?? see, i donot think that the problems are with teacher , beacuse diffrent student have diffrent way of...
Umakant biswal one month ago
what is R-L circuit? what is it’s main objective? give brief description about R-L circuit/ and explain about it’s features
Dear Student, Please refer to the following link for your answer: Thanks.
Vijay Mukati 7 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 4,950 off

• Kinematics & Rotational Motion
  • View Details

Get extra R 600 off

More Questions On General Physics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts