Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Kinematics & Rotational Motion
  • View Details
Get extra R 150 off

Say I push down on a very large drum head that lies in the z = 0 plane at equilibrium. Suppose there is no friction between my finger and the drum head. Suppose my finger tip pushes the drum head down some distance d. Suppose I accelerate my finger tip to some constant velocity v in the x direction while always keeping my finger tip in the plane z = -d.

Are waves produced during the acceleration of my finger?

Once my finger is in motion does it tend to stay in constant motion, that is does the drum head resist acceleration or deceleration of my finger tip?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear nitin,

Concentric waves will form in the drumhead, the nature of the wave being a result of the excitation velocity, the drumhead material and fluid (presumably air). The result is that the wave will transfer energy to the fluid where frequency is a function of wave diameter. In other words, higher frequencies will come from the area closest to the finger, and lower frequencies towards the perimeter. These waves are further modified by the drum enclosure and the immediate environment. Drum waveforms are surprisingly complex.

This radial variation characteristic is used is full-range loudspeakers and sometimes called a "mechanical crossover". Full-range speakers tend to be either very crummy or fabulously expensive audiophile units.

The drum head would resist acceleration, at higher velocities most work would be done by the fluid.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on General Physics

a dimensionless quantity______ (a)never has a unit (b)may have a unit (c)always has a unit (d)does not exist
@ shlok the option no 1 – never has a unit will turn out to be the correct option here . beacuse in the dimensionsless quantity is always unit less like the ratios , strain etc .. Hope it...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
a wheel of perimeter 4 Pi m is rolling on a horizontal surface. The displacement of the point of contact of wheel and ground when the wheel completes one quarter of revolution is
See , the perimeter of wheel is 4 pi meter. So, each rotaion the wheel makes, it goes a distance 4 pi meter. So, the quarter of a revolution makes the displacement = (4 pi / 4) meter = pi...
KAPIL MANDAL one month ago
In which type of circuits batteries or the resistances get short circuited
It depends the method U use. Like for thevenin and nortons problem we usually do this thing. for finding net resistance we short circuit the battery and open the current source.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
According to gauss’s law for magnetism a magnetic monopole cannot exist as tghe no of field lines going out of the surface should be equal to the number of field line going into it.But...
As charge is quantized, according to Gauss’s law the net flux enclosed by a surface, the summation should be zero. which is the contradiction here as the flux lines are radial and hence...
Vikas TU 25 days ago
What are the units of magnetic moment, magnetic induction and magnetic field
Magnetic moment - Am2(ampere per meter square) Magnetic induction - Tesla(1 gauss = 10 -4 tesla Magnetic field – Tesla
KALYAN 10 months ago
Sir,can you please give me a proper link to download ebook of hc verma vol.2?
@ yogesh i am sorry , there is no links avaliable here , i request you to buy a copy from the market , its cheap enough . else check it on a second hand book store if avaliable in your city ...
Umakant biswal 18 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

• Kinematics & Rotational Motion
  • View Details

Get extra R 150 off

More Questions On General Physics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts