who elects the president of India?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

The President is elected by the members of an electoral college consisting of the elected members of both the Houses of Parliament

and the elected members of the Legislative Assemblies of States and the Union Territories of Delhi and Pondicherry.

manner of election of President :

According to Article 55 of the Constitution, as for as practicable, there has to be uniformity in the scale of representation of the different states at the election of the President. For the purpose of securing such uniformity among the States inner as well as party between the States as a whole and the union the number of votes which each State is entitles to cast is determined as follows:-

(a)  every elected member of the legislative assembly of a State shall have as many votes as there are multiples of one thousand in the quotient obtained by dividing the population of the state by the total number of elected members of the Assembly;

(b)  If after taking the said multiples of one thousand, the remainder is not less than five hundred, then the vote of each member shall be further increased by one;

(c)  each elected member of either House of Parliament shall have such number of votes as may be obtained by dividing the total number of votes assigned to the members of the State Legislation Assemblies by the total number of elected members of both the House of Parliament fractions exceeding one-half being counted as one and & other fractions being disregarded.

The election of the President shall be held in accordance with the system of proportional representation by means of the single transferable vote and the voting shall be by secret ballot.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On General Knowledge

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Hi This year i have not been selected in IIT nd also not a good rank in aieee. so i have decided to drop this year. i started studying .i m very confused about physics as this has always...

Dear amandeep, if u were not selected this year there is not much to worry ,if u start studying from now sincerely it wont be that difficult to crack jee.as u mentioned physics has been ur...

askiitian expert akshay singh 5 years ago

NEVER EVER FEAR to do anything.. This is the first adn the foremost condition that you'll have to impose upon yourself.. This is a must.. You have to have a positive attitude towards your...

AskiitiansExpert Rohan 5 years ago

Hi The approach towards cracking JEE is studying the right topic in the right amount. I can suggest u some of the important topics , that would help u score higher if u get thorough with...

AskiitianExpert Shine 5 years ago
Who was the first Indian Governor-General of India?

Before Independence, Warren Hastings was the first Governor General of India. He occupied this position from 1773 to 1784. Hastings was born at Churchill, Oxfordshire. He joined the British...

Vijay Luxmi Askiitiansexpert 5 years ago

Chakeravarthi Rajagopalachari was the first Indian governor general of independent India. Dr. Rajagopalachari remained India's Governor-General until the Constitution was approved and came...

What is the difference between computer science and information technology?

Computer Sciences vs Information Technology Computer Science is the science of computers while Information Technology may or may not use computers. Of course there is a big overlap but in...

is arihant a good book for iit jee 2011 in physics. plz tellme .

Dear shanky arihant is a good book for IIT JEE .but I will recommend you to follow Recnick halliday ( theory + problem) and I E IRodov (problem) these three books are more than enough for...

Badiuddin askIITians.ismu Expert 4 years ago

Dear shanky arihant is a good book for IIT JEE .but I will recommend you to follow Recnick halliday ( theory + problem) and I E IRodov (problem) these 2 books are more than enough for IIT...

Badiuddin askIITians.ismu Expert 4 years ago
Sir if my rank in jee main is 50000 can I get nit silchar, nit agartala in any round of counselling which branch can I get there (general) .is bit patna better than these nits.sir should I...

BIT Patna is better than those lower nits. NITs of east (like those of Arunanchal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Silchar) are not having reputation upto the mark. Moreover, NIT Agartala has a very good...

Kushagra Srivastava 5 months ago

BIT Patna is better than those lower nits. NITs of east (like those of Arunanchal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Silchar) are not having reputation upto the mark. Moreover, NIT Agartala has a very good...

Kushagra Srivastava 5 months ago
which college is better?? nit jalandhar or iet lucknow according to placements?

NIT Jalandhar Placements Total Number of Companies Participated in Counselling : 77 Total Number of StudentsSelectedinCampus Placements: 567 Company Offered Highest Salary : Microsoft (Rs 16...
  img
Sourabh Singh 5 months ago
View all Questions »