My general all india rank is about 54000 and my OBC rank is about 14000 , By comparing the last years cutoff I may get in first round to NIT Kurukshetra(Mech.) on basis of my OBC rank but as NIT Kurukshetra is not my home state NIT so some people are saying that for other state NITs general rank is taken into account rather than OBC rank, Is it true ?

My general all india rank is about 54000 and my OBC rank is about 14000 , By comparing the last years cutoff I may get in first round to NIT Kurukshetra(Mech.) on basis of my OBC rank but as NIT Kurukshetra is not my home state NIT so some people are saying that for other state NITs general rank is taken into account rather than OBC rank, Is it true ?

Grade:12

2 Answers

Avinash
askIITians Faculty 1241 Points
8 years ago
Its not true, you should compare with only AIR or only OBC ranks since in home state quota. For instance, a student has completed his class 11th and class 12th from Himachal Pradesh and manages to get a rank of 15,000 in his JEE Mains. Another candidate has passed his 11th and 12th from Gujarat and has a rank of say 8,000. In such a situation there is a high chance that the student from Himachal Pradesh would be given preference for admission at NIT Hamirpur (located in Himachal Pradesh) over the student from Gujarat.
Soneel Verma
823 Points
8 years ago
Dear Divyum, you need to compare your AIR / OBC rank only and if you have any queries then you may visit the official weblink of JEE Main to find out the actual scenario.....and if you have a category with authentic proof, how can it be overlooked,.....the second thing that you may do is to try visiting at some other leading institutions wher you may seek admission, in my view you can check out at – Muzaffarpur Inst of Tech, Muzaffarpur,............Maharishi MArkandeshwar Uni, Ambala,..........Lovely Professional Uni, Phagwara

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free