There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

i would like to know how to calculate the capacitance due to two concentric hollow spherical shells of radii r1 and r2 with r1each having

1.equal charge
2.unequal charge

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Ans:- The thing is that if you want to calculate the capacitance then first of all you have to give it some charge. Now let's give a charge Q to it. and it is given to the inner sphere. As from the Gauss's law we know that there can not be any charge inside a hollow sphere and hence the entire charge will come out to the external surface of the outer sphere.So the potential of the inner sphere will be V1=Q/Kr1 -Q/kr2+Q/kr2 = Q/Kr1..............(1)                                                           

(Because the charge appearing in the inner and outer surface of the outer sphere is Q && -Q respectively. Thus to calculate the potential in the inner sphere, we must consider all the charges.

But if we consider the outer hollow sphere then the total charge inside this is 0 hence it's potential is V2=Q/Kr2 .....(2)

potential difference = V1-V2=Q/K(1/r1 - 1/r2)=ΔV

Now the capacitance is Q/ΔV=Kr1r2/(r1 - r2)

Hence C=Kr1r2/(r1-r2)

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We
are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best STUDENT NAME !!!

Askiitians Experts
Soumyajit Das IIT Kharagpur

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Electrostatics

How to solve qustions of Electrostatics . I know th formula but not able to solve problems
@ sourabh In electrostatics u have to assume some complicated thing , so, for solving the problem , u need some assumption power like the presence of charge in a cylinder etc . and if u...
Umakant biswal one month ago
when earthed a body has zero potential?what does that mean?...does it have a potential at a point not in contact with it
When a body is earthened the charge on the shell flows back to the earth or if the +q is there, a charge of-q flows from the earth thereby neutralising the charge to zero. By potential...
mayank one year ago
When a body is
Sapna Agarwal one year ago
what do you mean my electroststics
shashank one year ago
shashank one year ago
Is earth an inertial frame of reference? If not why?
@ rajesh a non inertial frame is that which is on rest or is moving with constant velocity and no acceleration . though earth has an acceleration , but that acceleration is very very less...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Earth is non Inertial Frame. It has acceleration.Hence it is accelerated with’g’.so, it is non inertial frame. but the value is very less in comparision ang hence can be neglected. So, we...
Kuldeep Pal one month ago
magnetic field is the center of the circular coil of radius 42cm..that has 100 turns is
Dear Sai kumar Radius, R=42*10^-2 Magnetic field, B=37.2 turns=100 B=4*3.14*I*100/2*42*10^-2 B=I*0.149*10^-3 I=37.2/0.149*10^-3 I=2.49*10^5A
Prabhakar ch 10 months ago
radius=42*10^-2 B=37.2 turns=100 B=4*3.14*I*100/2*42*10^-2 B=I*0.149*10^-3 I=37.2/0.149*10^-3 I=2.49*10^5A
SHANMUKESHWAR 10 months ago
Is SL arora really important(or the best book) for physics in 12th for cbse boards? Is there any alternative. Its very time consuming. If its important then what chapters shud i totally do...
@ tanisha Yes , its a time consuming book , but the main thing that u will get from this book is this book follow a proper shortcut path for derivation and it will make your concept...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
There is nothing far better book than only and only evergreen boo that is "NCERT PHYSICS” for cbse students. First u must know your ncert book. Read well practice well from it and proceed...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Electrostatics

Ask Experts