i often confused how to relate  between speed, torque, current, and voltage in a dc machine. for example when ew write the power equation P= 2(pi)NT/60 =VI.

from this eqation can I consider both N and T are directly related to current?

I know that the answer is NO. because N and T are always inversly related. but why?

can any one please cleare my confusion.

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear student,

Here is the basic principle for your understanding:

he force F on a wire of length L carrying a current i in a magnetic field B is iLB times the sine of the angle between B and i, which would be 90° if the field were uniformly vertical. The direction of F comes from the right hand rule*, as shown here. The two forces shown here are equal and opposite, but they are displaced vertically, so they exert a torque. (The forces on the other two sides of the coil act along the same line and so exert no torque.)

* A number of different nmemonics are used to remember the direction of the force. Some use the right hand, some the left. For students who know vector multiplication, it is easy to use the Lorentz force directly:  F  =  q v X B ,  whence F  =  i dL X B . That is the origin of the diagram shown here.

The coil can also be considered as a magnetic dipole, or a little electromagnet, as indicated by the arrow SN: curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the current, and your thumb is the North pole. In the sketch at right, the electromagnet formed by the coil of the rotor is represented as a permanent magnet, and the same torque (North attracts South) is seen to be that acting to align the central magnet.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

3 years ago

dear student,

DC motors are the simplest type; given a constant voltage, they run to a steady speed and steady current (electric torque= constant * current for DC motors).

If you need to control the torque (current), you use a current sensor (a resistor) as feedback to control the current.

If you need to control the speed, you use a speed sensor (tachometer, encoder etc) as a feedback to control the speed

Don’t forget to approve the answer if it is beneficial to you… !!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL               

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electromagnetic Induction

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
The ratio of the molar heat capacities of an ideal gas is Cp/Cv = 7/6. Calculate the change in internal energy of 1.0 mole of the gas when its temperature is raised by 50 K (a) keeping the...

Sol. C base P/C base V = 7.6, n = 1 mole, ∆T = 50K (a) Keeping the pressure constant, dQ = du + dw, ∆T = 50 K, γ = 7/6, m = 1 mole, dQ = du + dw ⇒ nC base VdT = du + RdT ⇒ du = nCpdT – RdT =...
  img
Jitender Pal one month ago

Sol. C base VH base 2 = 2.4 Cal/g°C, C base PH^2 = 3.4 Cal/g°C M = 2 g/ Mol, R = 8.3 × 10^7 erg/mol-°C We know, C base P – C base V = 1 Cal/g°C So, difference of molar specific heats = C...
  img
Navjyot Kalra one month ago
why there is no induced emf devlop across a resistor?? And what is basic difference between a resistor and a inductor?

The emf will be induced when there is a change in flux associated with it.But in resistor there is no flux linkage chainging.So there is no emf induced. Resistor is energy dessipating...

Khandavalli Satya Srikanth 10 months ago
A sample of an ideal gas (γ = 1.5) is compressed adiabatically from a volume of 150 cm3 to 50 cm3. The initial pressure and the initial temperature are 150 kPa and 300 K. Find (a) the number...

Sol. PV = nRT Given P = 150 KPa = 150 * 10^3 Pa, V = 150 cm^3 = 150 * 10^-6 m^3, T = 300 k (a) n = PV/RT = 150 * 10^3 * 150 * 10^-6/8.3 * 300 = 9.036 * 10^-3 = 0.009 moles. (b) C base P/C...
  img
Aditi Chauhan one month ago
Which two values are plotted on a B-H curve graph?

b vs h
  img
Sher Mohammad 2 months ago
Physics 2 Test 4 I want these solved

You are requested to write down the problems clearly as these are not at all readable. Also, Please ask one question at a time Thanks and Regards Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee askIITians Faculty
  img
Apoorva Arora one month ago

They are clearly sccaned and are clear. you have to wait for clearance. Also you can right click and download the image via “save image as” and view it by by zooming your computer. The...

Abhinav Saurabh one month ago
What is thermal pawer plant

A Thermal power plant is a power plant where steam is used to drive a steam turbine. This turbine is connected to an electrical generator. After this, the water is condensed, and may be used...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

Latent heat is a type of heat that is either released or absorbed by an element during a change of state without change of temperature. It is typically measured as an amount of energy in...

Indu 3 months ago
View all Questions »