i often confused how to relate  between speed, torque, current, and voltage in a dc machine. for example when ew write the power equation P= 2(pi)NT/60 =VI.

from this eqation can I consider both N and T are directly related to current?

I know that the answer is NO. because N and T are always inversly related. but why?

can any one please cleare my confusion.

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear student,

Here is the basic principle for your understanding:

he force F on a wire of length L carrying a current i in a magnetic field B is iLB times the sine of the angle between B and i, which would be 90° if the field were uniformly vertical. The direction of F comes from the right hand rule*, as shown here. The two forces shown here are equal and opposite, but they are displaced vertically, so they exert a torque. (The forces on the other two sides of the coil act along the same line and so exert no torque.)

* A number of different nmemonics are used to remember the direction of the force. Some use the right hand, some the left. For students who know vector multiplication, it is easy to use the Lorentz force directly:  F  =  q v X B ,  whence F  =  i dL X B . That is the origin of the diagram shown here.

The coil can also be considered as a magnetic dipole, or a little electromagnet, as indicated by the arrow SN: curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the current, and your thumb is the North pole. In the sketch at right, the electromagnet formed by the coil of the rotor is represented as a permanent magnet, and the same torque (North attracts South) is seen to be that acting to align the central magnet.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

3 years ago

dear student,

DC motors are the simplest type; given a constant voltage, they run to a steady speed and steady current (electric torque= constant * current for DC motors).

If you need to control the torque (current), you use a current sensor (a resistor) as feedback to control the current.

If you need to control the speed, you use a speed sensor (tachometer, encoder etc) as a feedback to control the speed

Don’t forget to approve the answer if it is beneficial to you… !!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL               

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electromagnetic Induction

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Find the electric force between two protons separated by a distance of 1 fermi (1 fermi = 10-15 m). The protons in a nucleus remain at a separation of this order.

Sol. Charge on each proton = a= 1.6 10^-19 coulomb Distance between charges = 10 * 10^-15 metre = r Force = kq^2/r^2 = 9 * 10^9 * 1.6 * 1.6 * 10^-38/10^-38 = 9 * 2.56 * 10 = 230.4 Netwon
  img
Jitender Pal 4 months ago

force is given by putting all the values F= 230.4 newtons Thanks and Regards Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee askIITians Faculty
  img
Apoorva Arora 4 months ago

Hello Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 4 months ago
Two coils are placed close to each other. The mitual inductance of the pair of coils depends upon (a) the rates at which currents are changing in the two coils (d) relative position and...

(b) Mutual conductance depends on the relative position and orientation of two coils. 6. (d) e = - ?Ø/?t ? 8 = L x 4/0.05 ? L = 8 x 0.05 / 4 = 0.1 H Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 4 months ago
A source of emf having internal resistance of 6Ω dissipates maximum power in this circuit consisting of three resistor R 1 ,R 2 and R 3 as shown. Then which of the following is not true :...

As circuit diagram is not mentioned, But i would like to give you the concept about the problem. For maximum power dissipation, internal resistance of the emf must be equal to the external...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 27 days ago
A ball is thrown vertically upwards from the ground. If T1 and T2 are the respective time taken in going and coming down and the air resistance is ignored then , which of the following...

According to me its , 2 nd option, T2>T1

Yugabrat Gogoi one month ago

3 rd option is the answer

Saloni gordhan Rakholiya one month ago

Saurabh Kumar one month ago
is friction depend on surface area when both the surface are extremely smooth

Friction depends partly on the smoothness of the contacting surfaces, a greater force being needed to move two surfaces past one another if they are rough than if they are smooth. However,...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 5 days ago
View all Questions »