i often confused how to relate  between speed, torque, current, and voltage in a dc machine. for example when ew write the power equation P= 2(pi)NT/60 =VI.

from this eqation can I consider both N and T are directly related to current?

I know that the answer is NO. because N and T are always inversly related. but why?

can any one please cleare my confusion.

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear student,

Here is the basic principle for your understanding:

he force F on a wire of length L carrying a current i in a magnetic field B is iLB times the sine of the angle between B and i, which would be 90° if the field were uniformly vertical. The direction of F comes from the right hand rule*, as shown here. The two forces shown here are equal and opposite, but they are displaced vertically, so they exert a torque. (The forces on the other two sides of the coil act along the same line and so exert no torque.)

* A number of different nmemonics are used to remember the direction of the force. Some use the right hand, some the left. For students who know vector multiplication, it is easy to use the Lorentz force directly:  F  =  q v X B ,  whence F  =  i dL X B . That is the origin of the diagram shown here.

The coil can also be considered as a magnetic dipole, or a little electromagnet, as indicated by the arrow SN: curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the current, and your thumb is the North pole. In the sketch at right, the electromagnet formed by the coil of the rotor is represented as a permanent magnet, and the same torque (North attracts South) is seen to be that acting to align the central magnet.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

3 years ago

dear student,

DC motors are the simplest type; given a constant voltage, they run to a steady speed and steady current (electric torque= constant * current for DC motors).

If you need to control the torque (current), you use a current sensor (a resistor) as feedback to control the current.

If you need to control the speed, you use a speed sensor (tachometer, encoder etc) as a feedback to control the speed

Don’t forget to approve the answer if it is beneficial to you… !!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL               

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electromagnetic Induction

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
In an oscillating LC circuit the maximum charge on the capacitor is Q . The charge on the capacitor when the energy is stored equally between the electric and magnetic field is (a) Q/2 (b)...

(c) When the capacitor is completely charged, the total energy in the L.C circuit is with the capacitor and that energy is E =1/2 Q 2 /C When half energy is with the capacitor in the form of...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 3 months ago
how can we prove that frequency of d.c is zero not infinite

Hi Priya, Its not actually just zero or infinte you assume it to be any constant. Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 3 months ago
is newtons third compatible with retarded lorentz force?

no. its not valid in electrodynamics Thanks & Regards Mukesh Sharma askIITians Faculty
  img
Mukesh Sharma 6 months ago

no, its not valid in electrodynamics Thanks & Regards Mukesh Sharma askIITians Faculty
  img
Mukesh Sharma 6 months ago
Position of a particle is given by. X= 3t-4(t)^2+t^3 X is distance in metres and t is time in secs Find the average velocity of the particle in the time interval from t=2sec to t=4sec....

Whenever you are supposed to find the average velocity, What you need to do is take account of the total distance mentioned and then divide it by the mentioned time. However if you...
  img
Apoorva Arora 2 months ago
A shot is fired at a distance of 39.2m from the foot of a pole 19 m high so that is just passes over it. Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity of the shot.

the magnitude of velocity is 28m/s and direction is 45 degree from horizontal. THANK U

Abhishek Pachauri one month ago
Find the change in the internal energy of 2 kg of water as it is heated from 0°C to 4°C. The specific heat capacity of water is 4200 J/kg-K and its densities at 0°C and 4°C are 999.9 kg/m3...

Sol. Given M = 2 kg 2t = 4°c Sw = 4200 J/Kg–k f0 = 999.9 kg/m^3 f4 = 1000 kg/m^3 P = 10^5 Pa. Net internal energy = dv dQ = DU + dw ⇒ ms∆Q∅ = dU + P(v^0 – v^4) ⇒ 2 × 4200 × 4 = dU + 10^5(m –...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 3 months ago
View all Questions »