i often confused how to relate  between speed, torque, current, and voltage in a dc machine. for example when ew write the power equation P= 2(pi)NT/60 =VI.

from this eqation can I consider both N and T are directly related to current?

I know that the answer is NO. because N and T are always inversly related. but why?

can any one please cleare my confusion.

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear student,

Here is the basic principle for your understanding:

he force F on a wire of length L carrying a current i in a magnetic field B is iLB times the sine of the angle between B and i, which would be 90° if the field were uniformly vertical. The direction of F comes from the right hand rule*, as shown here. The two forces shown here are equal and opposite, but they are displaced vertically, so they exert a torque. (The forces on the other two sides of the coil act along the same line and so exert no torque.)

* A number of different nmemonics are used to remember the direction of the force. Some use the right hand, some the left. For students who know vector multiplication, it is easy to use the Lorentz force directly:  F  =  q v X B ,  whence F  =  i dL X B . That is the origin of the diagram shown here.

The coil can also be considered as a magnetic dipole, or a little electromagnet, as indicated by the arrow SN: curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the current, and your thumb is the North pole. In the sketch at right, the electromagnet formed by the coil of the rotor is represented as a permanent magnet, and the same torque (North attracts South) is seen to be that acting to align the central magnet.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

3 years ago

dear student,

DC motors are the simplest type; given a constant voltage, they run to a steady speed and steady current (electric torque= constant * current for DC motors).

If you need to control the torque (current), you use a current sensor (a resistor) as feedback to control the current.

If you need to control the speed, you use a speed sensor (tachometer, encoder etc) as a feedback to control the speed

Don’t forget to approve the answer if it is beneficial to you… !!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL               

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electromagnetic Induction

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
A charge of 1.0 C is placed at the top of the your college building and another equal charge at the top of your house. Take the separation between the two charges to be 2.0 km. Find the...

Sol. q abse 1 = q base 2 = q = 1.0 C distance between = 2 km = 1 × 10^3 m so, force = kq base 1q base 2/r^2 F = (9 * 10^9) * 1 * 1/(2 * 10^3)^2 = 9 * 10^9/2^2 * 10^6 = 2,25 * 10^3 N The...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 4 months ago

Force is given by Thanks and Regards Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee askIITians Faculty
  img
Apoorva Arora 4 months ago

Force is given by Thanks and Regards Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee askIITians Faculty
  img
Apoorva Arora 4 months ago
Find the speed of the electron in the ground state of a hydrogen atom. The description of ground state is given in the previous problem.

Sol. Fe from previous problem No. 18 = 8.2 × 10^–8 N Ve = ? Now, M base e = 9.12 × 10^–31 kg r = 0.53 × 10^–10 m Now, Fe = M base ev^2/r ⇒ v^2 = Fe * r/m base e = 8.2 * 10^-8 * 0.53 *...
  img
Deepak Patra 4 months ago

Sol Fe from previous problem No. 18 = 8.2 × 10^–8 N Ve = ? Now, M base e = 9.12 × 10^–31 kg r = 0.53 × 10^–10 m Now, Fe = M base ev^2/r ⇒ v^2 = Fe * r/m base e = 8.2 * 10^-8 * 0.53 *...
  img
Kevin Nash 4 months ago
Two insulating small spheres are rubbed against each other and placed 1 cm apart, If they attract each other with a force of 0.1 N, how many electrons were transferred from one sphere to the...

Sol. F = 0.1 N r = 1 cm = 10^–2 (As they rubbed with each other. So the charge on each sphere are equal) So, F = kq base 1q base 2/r^2 ⇒ 0.1 = kq^2/(10^-2)^2 ⇒ q^2 = 1/9 * 10^-14 ⇒ q = 1/3 *...
  img
Kevin Nash 4 months ago
see attachment. each capacitor have capacitance C calaculate Ceq and explain it

Hi, shivam use series and parallel combination method...

Saurabh Kumar one month ago

abe answer to mujhe bhi pata he mujhe soln chahiye

Shivam 2 months ago

79C/46 i think !

kaushik 2 months ago
a body of mass 1.5kg is allowed to slide down along a quadrant of a circle from the horizontal position.in reaching to the bottom,its velocity is 8m/s.the work done in overcoming the...

Dear student, Using the conservation of energy, we have: Hence, we get: Hence the radius should be equal to 4 m. Regards Sumit
  img
Sumit Majumdar 2 months ago
How can we show that F =qvB with the help of vectors law

Lorentz Force Law The Lorentz Force Law can be used to describe the effects of a charged particle moving in a constant magnetic field. The simplest form of this law is given by the scalar...
  img
Rinkoo Gupta 5 months ago
View all Questions »