SEE THE ATTACHMENT According to the formula V=E-Ir (E is the emf of cell with internal resistance r), we say that whenever we increase the current there is decrease in potential difference and vice versa. BUT THERE IS A TANGLED DOUBT IN MY MIND V=E-Ir V+Ir= E IR+Ir=E Let we increase the current I somehow (by increasing the frequency of electrons) to I’ such that I’>I But since current remain same in series. The result will be like… I’R + I’r= E V+I’r=E V=E-I’r But V=I’R which increased rather than decreasing Which is not possible MY VIEWS I think V=E-Ir I 1 R=E-I 2 r I 1 R=E+(-I 2 r) I 1 is the current flowing through the wire while I 2 is the current flowing inside the cell which is moving in the opposite direction (i.e. negative to positive) We actually alter the amount of current inside the cell by some special method which results to the change in overall voltage of the cell. AM I RIGHT?. IF WRONG PLEASE PUT UP YOUR VIEWS.

SEE THE ATTACHMENT
According to the formula V=E-Ir (E is the emf of cell with internal resistance r), we say that whenever we increase the current there is decrease in potential difference and vice versa.
BUT THERE IS A TANGLED DOUBT IN MY MIND
V=E-Ir
V+Ir= E
IR+Ir=E
Let we increase the current I somehow (by increasing the frequency of electrons) to I’ such that I’>I
But since current remain same in series. The result will be like…
I’R + I’r= E
V+I’r=E
V=E-I’r
But V=I’R which increased rather than decreasing
Which is not possible
MY VIEWS
I think V=E-Ir
I1R=E-I2r
I1R=E+(-I2r)
I1 is the current flowing through the wire while I2 is the current flowing inside the cell which is moving in the opposite direction (i.e. negative to positive)
 We actually alter the amount of current inside the cell by some special method which results to the change in overall voltage of the cell.
AM I RIGHT?.   IF WRONG PLEASE PUT UP YOUR VIEWS.

Question Image
Grade:11

1 Answers

Neeti
571 Points
8 years ago
the current is same in both, the external resistor and battery. the formula basically is E= IR + Ir means TOTAL voltage supplied by the cell or battery is equal to voltage drop across the external resistance plus voltage drop across the cell due to the internal resistance of the battery. IR being the voltage drop across the external resistance and Ir being the voltage drop across the cell due to internal resistance of the cell.
feel free to ask follow-up questions :)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free