• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

I cannot understand the concept of potentiometer

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear aravind,

A potentiometer is a three terminal device. I'll use numbers 1, 2, 3 for the terminals. Assume it to be a wire. The two side ends of wire are the terminals 1 and 3, and a tapping at some point on this wire forms terminal 2. It acts as a voltage divider. When a voltage source is applied across the wire, whole voltage drops across the wire i.e. between 1 and 3. There would be some drop across 1 and 2, and the remaining across 2 and 3. Terminal 2 can be moved over the wire such that the drop between 1 and 2 changes and the corresponding value between 2 and 3 too. From a fixed voltage source connected across the wire, we can get variable voltage output by miving terminal 2.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We
are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best aravind !!!

Askiitians Experts

Gaurav Aggarwal

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Electric Current

What is the statement of WHEAT STONE BRIDGE?????????????????????
Gowri Sankar, Wheat stone bridge is the four arms are engaged with four resistors and one is unknown resistor.To know the resistance of unknown resistor we used the wheat stone bridge.
SAI SARDAR 9 months ago
Dear Gowri Shankar A wheat stone is a electrical circuit used to measure the an unknown electrical resistance by balancing two legs of a bridge circuit ,one leg which includes the unknown...
Prabhakar ch 9 months ago
Hello Shankar, Definition of Wheatstone bridge . : an electrical bridge consisting of two branches of a parallel circuit joined by a galvanometer and used for determining the value of an...
SAI SANDY 9 months ago
If a current carrying wire produces magnetic field around it, then why don’t it attracts any metallic substance that we placed near the current carrying wire? I know its a stupid question...
@ puja the magnetic field which is generated is by the moving charge particle and not by the wire . so, the force which is generated by wire is very very less as compared to that which is...
Umakant biswal one month ago
what is modern physics?.tell me brieflt about for eletric circuit???
physics is branch of science its deals with the science. now a days physics is called physics is called modern.
T.kumar 9 months ago
dear chetan..Modern physics is an effort to understand the underlying processes of the interactions of matter utilizing the tools of science & engineering. It implies that nineteenth century...
mohan 9 months ago
hi chethan modern physics means physics based on the two major break throughs of the early the twentieth century relativity and quantum mechanics.physics based on what was known before then ...
manichandra 9 months ago
what is meant by electrostatic force?give example for electrostatic force
Hii It’s the force exerted by two static charged particles containing non zero charges. Example ,Paper strips attracted by a charged CD
Sourabh Singh 9 months ago
If the two charges have the same sign, the electrostatic force between them is repulsive; if they have different sign, the force between them is attractive. An electric field is a vector...
Prabhakar ch 9 months ago
Electro static is the phenomenon arise from the forces that electric charges exert on each other.or it is an electric field that associates to each point in the coloumb force.
N JYOTHEESWAR 9 months ago
what is resonance
if the frequency of a vibration made by the body under influence of external force is equal to its natural frequency is called resonance
AJITH one year ago
when a varing periodic force applaid to a system and the freequency of a varing force mathes with normal force freequencies of that system then amplitude of that system will be...
Eswar one year ago
Definition of Resonance - "The increase in amplitude of oscillation of an electric or mechanical system exposed to a periodic force whose frequency is equal or very close to the natural...
SHANMUKESHWAR one year ago
Which magazine is best for jee mains aspirants please tell me. Thank you in advance
@ afzal there are many magazines by mtg and arihant and all of them are actually usefull to the aspirants . i am naming some of the magazines that i referred for my prep . 1- SPECTRUM...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts