why should ac current is a vector quantity but dc current is a scalar quantity

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Electricity may be static or dynamic (electric current)
Static electricity is scalar though it can be + or - signs, but nothing other than that.

Coming to current electricity, the dc current is scalar, as it has only one sign and does not get resolved.

Alternating current is vector. The current and voltages are not in the same direction always. Consider a capacitor for example, it may have a voltage of 100 V applied to it and might have current of 0.1 Amperes, but the power is still zero as the phase difference between current and voltage in case of capacitor is 90 degrees. In resistor it is 0 degrees. If you have series connection of capacitor and resistor, the angle between voltage and current will be between zero and 90 degrees.
The current can be resolved in direction of voltage and quadrature to it. Therefore, the alternating current is a vector.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
What is thevenin's theorem

Any combination of batteries and resistances with two terminals can be replaced by a single voltage source e and a single series resistor r . The value of e is the open circuit voltage at...
  img
Mukesh Sharma 8 months ago

Thevenin`s Theorem states that it is possible to simplify any linear circuit, no matter how complex, to an equivalent circuit with just a single voltage source and series resistance...

Amit Sinha 8 months ago
if we drop a current carrying wire in an ocean .. will the current spread throughout the ocean or only a part of ocean.?

If we drop a current wire into ocean/sea it wiil be nullified because of volume distribution.The charge will distributed per each unit of volume but volume of ocean is infinity the current...

kiran kumar 10 months ago

I think that current spread thoroughout the ocean

BODDOJU RAMA KRISHNACHARI 10 months ago
what exactly does potential drop mean and how does it help or work in order to find the current in a circuit??? please say it with a circuit diagram

Wires carrying current always have inherent resistance, or impedance, to current flow. Voltage drop is defined as the amount of voltage loss that occurs through all or part of a circuit due...
  img
Nirmal Singh. 6 months ago

light has particles of photons.The big difference between electric and magnetic fields is that (as far as we know) there are no isolated magnetic charges. If there were isolated magnetic...
  img
Nirmal Singh. 6 months ago
why dipole direction is from negative to possitive

The torque on a dipole is given by, The torque obtained is positive when the direction of the dipole is taken from negative charge to positive charge. Another reason is, in analogy with...

kiran kumar 11 months ago

electric field direction is from possitive to negative so dipole direction is from negative to possitive then there is no replusion force of attraction

Shivaram Eppalapelly 11 months ago
why the point has no angular velocity?

In physic s, the angular velocity is defined as the rate of change of angular displacement and is a vector quantity (more precisely, a pseudovector ) which specifies the angular speed (...

Nikhil Gaddam 4 days ago
A light ray is travelling from air to glass.The reflected and refracted rays are perpendicular to each other.If the angle of incidence in air is i.the refractive index of glass is?

According to brewsters law, when a ray of light is incident on optical medium, and undergoes simultaneous reflection and refraction such that the reflected and refracted rays are...

Karan Tewani one year ago

By snell''s law n a sin(i)=n b sin(90-i) sin(i)=n b Cos(i) (n a =1) sin(i)/Cos(i)=n b n b =Tan(i) The refractive index of glass is Tan(i)

one year ago

we can get the answer by using snells law: na*sin(i)=nb*sin(r).

G.Rajashekar one year ago
View all Questions »