Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 560 off
USE CODE: CART20

How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

what is the purpose of electric cell in any circuit?

the purpose of electric cell or a battery is to maintain the potential difference so that some work can be done in moving the electric charges.

saayan mitra 9 months ago
what is the defination of electric field?and what is the defination of electricm charge?

electric charge: particles that exerts electric forces aresaid to have an electric charge. electric field:charges exerts forces on the another by mmeans of disturbances that they generate...

BOLLU SRINIVAS 8 months ago

ELECTRIC CHARGE: Electric charge is the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. There are two types of electric charges...

SAI SARDAR 8 months ago
What is the equivalent resistance for the combination of circuit?

Dear Student, If the resisitances are in series, then the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of all resistances. And if the resistances are in parallel, then the reciprocal of...
  img
Vijay Mukati 5 months ago

Equivalent resistance is one resistance which can replace all the resistances in the circuit and allow same amount of current in the circuit as in the original circuit. To find equivalent...

chandan kumar 5 months ago
what is longitudinal wave ? what is the wave length formula?

h ai manjunth, the wave which vibrates in the direction of propagation of a wave is called longitudinal wave ,

N JYOTHEESWAR 4 months ago

Hello Manjunadh: A wave that oscillates back and forth on an axis that is the same as the axis along which the wave propagates. Sound waves are longitudinal waves, since the air molecules...

Gaddam Chethan 4 months ago

Dear Manjunath The motion of the particles of the medium are back and forth along along the same direction that the wave travels this wave is called longitudinal wave All the best for your...

Prabhakar ch 4 months ago
A man of 50 kg is standing in a gravity free space at height of 10m above the floor.he threw a stone of 0.5kg mass downward with speed 2m/s.distance between man and above the floor

I hope you framed the question right, it must be distance of man from floor when the ball hits the floor... Apply concept of centre of mass, since there is no Gravity in the space, centre...

Arnav Prasad one month ago
what is doppler effect

The aperant change in frequancy of wave motion due to the relative motion of listner and source this is called Doppler effect . THANK YOU.

PRAPULPODISHETTI 8 months ago

Doppler Effect can be defined as the increase or decrease in the frequency of sound or light or any other waves as the source or observer moves towards ( away from ) each other.This effect...

Kishorkumar one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 520 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 560 off