How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
definition of electric current

An electric current is a flow of electric charge . In electric circuits this charge is often carried by moving electrons in a wire . It can also be carried by ions in an electrolyte , or by...
  img
Rinkoo Gupta 2 months ago

If the two requirements of an electric circuit are met, then charge will flow through the external circuit. It is said that there is a current - a flow of charge. Using the word current in...

Indu 2 months ago
Two stones are thrown with the same speed but making different angles with the horizontal. Their ranges are equal. If the angle of projection of one is ?/3 and its maximum height is y1 then...

If they have same horizontal ranges for different angles of projections,the angles are x/3 and (90°-x/3) The horizontal range for angle of projection x/3=u2 sin (2x/3) / g and range for...

Kenny Toijam 6 months ago

ADITI ........................ for equal ranges the angle of projections are theta & 90- theta and after finding the angle u can easily find the maximum height .

keesom 5 months ago
when current passes through a wire what is the charge arised in the wire?

There is no increase in charge of the conductor .The free electrons in conductor just are in motion when current is passed in a wire.The wire remains electrically neutral.
  img
Ashish Kumar 7 months ago

when current passes through a wire two fields are produced 1 electrict field 2 magnetic field and charge arise in wire is - ve

umer shafi 7 months ago
A light ray is travelling from air to glass.The reflected and refracted rays are perpendicular to each other.If the angle of incidence in air is i.the refractive index of glass is?

According to brewsters law, when a ray of light is incident on optical medium, and undergoes simultaneous reflection and refraction such that the reflected and refracted rays are...

Karan Tewani 10 months ago

By snell''s law n a sin(i)=n b sin(90-i) sin(i)=n b Cos(i) (n a =1) sin(i)/Cos(i)=n b n b =Tan(i) The refractive index of glass is Tan(i)

10 months ago

we can get the answer by using snells law: na*sin(i)=nb*sin(r).

G.Rajashekar 10 months ago
a partical droped from the heighest place of a building. in the final second the particle moved half height of the bulding . what is the height of the building?

distance travelled in n seconds, s = 5n^2 v= 10(n-1) s’= 10(n-1)+ 5 (n-1)^2 s-s’= s/2= 5n^2- 10n+10-5n^2+10n-5= 5= s/2 s=10
  img
Sher Mohammad 15 days ago
A ray of light passes from diamond of refractive index 2.42, to a glass of refractive index 1.55. Calculate the ratio of the velocity of light in glass and also the deviation.

Hello Student, The velocity of light can be calculated as c/refractive index Angle of deviation will depend on incidence angle. So provide that. Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT...
  img
Arun Kumar one month ago
View all Questions »