Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 560 off
USE CODE: JEE20

How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

When is the Wheatstone bridge most sensitive...or when is the meter bridge most sensitive

The Wheatstone bridge is said to be the most sensitive when all the four resistances in the arm of Wheatstone bridge are equal to one another

harshil chauhan 2 months ago

The wheatstone bridge is said to be more sensitive when its voltmeter will be showing 0 deflection. that means it will be in balanced condition. the condition needs to be fulfilled is...

Umakant biswal 2 months ago
In the circuit shown in figure the switch is closed at t=0.the current I^3,as soon as switch is closed is ???Plzz give full solution steps

here we use some terminology... t=0 - means the time just before the switch is closed/opend depending on the previous position. t=0 + means the time just after the switch is closed/opend...

vinodh kumar 4 months ago

At time=0 when capacitor has no charge on it,it behaves as an ordinary conductor. so the circuit reduces to a mere bunch of resistors and a battery. now net current in the circuit at t=0 is ...

Mehul Rawat 4 months ago
In reverse biasing ,how potential gradient remains the same but potential barrier increases,please explain

@ Manasvi in reverse biasing the thing u need to understand is that the +ve terminal of battery is connected with n type semiconducter and -ve potential of battery is connected with p type...

Umakant biswal 2 months ago
What is longitudinal waves?

THE MEDIUM OF THE PARTICLE IS PARELLEL TO THE WAVE PROPAGATION IS CALLED AS LONGITUDINAL WAVES

ANJI BABU 5 months ago

The particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of propagation of the waves

OUTPASS 5 months ago

The particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of propagation of the waves

venky 5 months ago
what do you mean my electroststics

shashank 7 months ago

shashank 7 months ago
what is first law of thermodynamics??

neither created nor destroyed but it tansfer to one form to another form

Gavvala Ganesh 5 months ago

Dear Ganesh, Please do not paste the same answer again and again. Also, paste complete answer in one attempt so that questioner does not get mails on your each and every answer. This...

Forum Team 5 months ago

The first law of thermodynamics is a version of the law of conservation of energy, adapted for thermodynamic systems. The law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an...

KUNCHAM SAMPATH 5 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 520 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 560 off