ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Find the equivalent resistance between M and N.

Hi, please upload the complete question, Image is not mentioned in the question....
  img
Shobhit Varshney 8 months ago
How to find the no. of electrons moves around the nucleus in a circular orbit of a radius 5x10 raise to the power minus eleven metre. Is there any way?

yes there is a way but only for those atoms ,, which satisfy the Bhor’s postulates criteria ,, that is , example Hydrogen, Lithum 3+ ,, i.e containing one proton . if i assume this in your...

abhishek singh 26 days ago

see value of Z in the above used formula can vary and it must be a perfect square , i.e 1, 4 , , but the bhor postulate doesn’t go upto Z = 9 , or above , therfre n = 1 or n = 2

abhishek singh 26 days ago
working of Choke coil

During the process as per the working of choke coil of sending a signal through a circuit, the idea is to let the desired signal go through while filtering out other, unwanted signals. One...

rahul 6 days ago
which force provide necessary centripetal force when a bicyclist takes a turn on a level road ?

it is the force of FRICTION ..

Kushagra Bhatia 4 months ago

CENTRIPETAL FORCE

MOHIT 4 months ago
what is Specific rotation

specific rotation is a property of a chiral chemical compound.It is defined as the change in orientation of monochromatic plane-polarized light, per unit distance–concentration...
  img
Ashutosh Sharma 7 days ago

have’nt u used this concept in organic chemistry the term specific rotation is used to compare the rotational effect of all optically active substances. Specific rotation for a given...

Gman Namg 6 days ago

[α]D = specific rotation , i.e. the rotation observed for a 1 g/ml solution of a ... αobs = observed rotation of a solution at a concentration or pathlength other than 1.

rahul 6 days ago
A bi-convex lens is formed with two thin plano-convex lenses as shown in the figure. Refractive index n of the first lens is 1.5 and that of the second lens is 1.2. Both the curved surface...

Hello Student, P=(1.5-1)(1/14-0)+(1.2-1)(0-1/(-14))=1/20 f=+20cm 1/v-1/(-40)=1/20 v=40cm Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 11 months ago
View all Questions »