ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
If the current in 8 Ω resistance is 2A then the current through resistance 'R' would be :

Dear student, The potential difference across the ends of 8 ohm restsiatnce is equal to 16 V. Hence, the current flowing through the resistance R would be equal to: Regards
  img
Sumit Majumdar 7 months ago
when we increase voltage, current is constant in compact fluorescent lamp, why?

In a gas discharge, such as a fluorescent lamp, current causes resistance to decrease. This is because as more electrons and ions flow through a particular area, they bump into more atoms,...
  img
Harishwar 7 months ago
a 4 ohm resistance wire is doubled on it calculate the new resistance of the wire. for the above question, how to consider the question is for doubled the diameter or doubled the length....

R = pL/A ---> Weather area of cross section or length chages, Volume remains same.. So define your formula in terms of Voulme...and proceed according to the requirement...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 3 days ago
A charge of 1.0 C is placed at the top of the your college building and another equal charge at the top of your house. Take the separation between the two charges to be 2.0 km. Find the...

Sol. q abse 1 = q base 2 = q = 1.0 C distance between = 2 km = 1 × 10^3 m so, force = kq base 1q base 2/r^2 F = (9 * 10^9) * 1 * 1/(2 * 10^3)^2 = 9 * 10^9/2^2 * 10^6 = 2,25 * 10^3 N The...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 10 months ago

Force is given by Thanks and Regards Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee askIITians Faculty
  img
Apoorva Arora 10 months ago

Force is given by Thanks and Regards Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee askIITians Faculty
  img
Apoorva Arora 10 months ago
Water is flowing in a river at 2.5m/s. The river is 40m wide with an average depth of 6m. compute the power available from the water current.

Hello Student, Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 9 months ago
what about north and south pole in a spherical maget???.....infinite or single

Spherical magnet has Single pole. best example is earth because earth behaves like a magnet........
  img
Nirmal Singh. one year ago

but it depends as per our thinking!! ...can u please elaborate??

shashank one year ago
View all Questions »