How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
VOLTAGE means?

Voltage, also called electromotive force, is a quantitative expression of the potential difference in charge between two points in an electrical field. The greater the voltage, the greater...

Indu 9 months ago

measure of current

akarsh 9 months ago
A voltmeter has a resistance G and range V. Calculate the resistance to be used to extend its range to nV.

To extend the range of a voltmeter we add a resistance of more value in series with the meter. value of added resistance(shunt) R s =R m +V'/I m Here V' is the new range, R m is resistance...
  img
Sher Mohammad 8 months ago

The we require n resistance so , total resistance is nG
  img
Sher Mohammad 8 months ago
what is mean by linear and bilateral?

linear network the network whoes parameter does not change due change in current or vtg. eg. resistance,inductance,capacitance. bilateral network the ckt whoes chara. does not change due...

MOHAMMED ANAS KHAN 2 months ago

linear network the network whoes parameter does not change due change in current or vtg. eg. resistance,inductance,capacitance. bilateral network the ckt whoes chara. does not change due...

MOHAMMED ANAS KHAN 2 months ago
why parallel current attract and anti parallel current repel......

You mean in case of wires. Its all about the direction of magnetic field created by wires. In case of parallel current they force is attractive but in case of anti parallel the force is...
  img
Arun Kumar 8 months ago
heat capacity means?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat capacity required to raise the temperature of a body a specified amount. In SI units, heat capacity (symbol: C) is the amount of heat in joules required...
  img
Nirmal Singh. 9 months ago
When a beam of 106 eV photon of intensity 2.0 W/m 2 falls on a platinum surface of area 1.0x 10 -4 m 2 and work function 5.6 eV, 0.53% of the incident photons eject photoelectrons. Find the...

Hello Student, Please find the answer to your question No. of photons /sec = Energy incident on platinum surface per second / Energy of on photon No. of photon incident per second = 2 x 10 x...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 7 months ago
View all Questions »