Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 560 off
USE CODE: MOB20

How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

question in the ATTACHMENT

No, the direction of the current will be same from AB.
  img
Vijay Mukati 9 months ago
WHAT IS AN AMPERE’S LAW...............................................?

Dear Ramarao, The Ampere’s law states that the line integral of magnetic field in the direction of the path is equals to mue not times the current intersepted by the area.

SAI SARDAR 2 months ago

The line integral of magnetic field around a closed path is equal to the u 0 times the net current flowing through the area bounded by the closed path

saibhargav one month ago
Please explain this question. What is the relation between V , I and R when this type of a problem occurs ?

moreover if you are studying about ohm law then relation between v, i ,r is as follows V = I x R . these type of problem occurs when you are given values of two parameters and you have to...

SAHIL 26 days ago

please tell what is v , i ,r here. moreover give some information regarding what topic are you studying. thnx and please post complete qquestion again approve my answer also....

SAHIL 26 days ago
A body covered a distance of L m along a curved path of a quarter circle.The ratio of distance to displacement will be??

total distance travelled=L for displacement (pi)r/2= L so r = 2L/pi dispacement=shortest distance between initial and final points=r=2 L/pi therefore ratio=pi/2

Kuldip Jha 3 days ago
How the spherometer is used in our daily life? give examples.

measure the thickness of glass and measure the radius of curvature of convex lens hence in this way we can use the spherometer in our daily life.

shaik chandini 22 days ago
what is main defference between vocume and space?

In vaccum there is no air but in space there will be air and stars , planets.

Eswar 7 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 520 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 560 off