How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what exactly does potential drop mean and how does it help or work in order to find the current in a circuit??? please say it with a circuit diagram

Wires carrying current always have inherent resistance, or impedance, to current flow. Voltage drop is defined as the amount of voltage loss that occurs through all or part of a circuit due...
  img
Nirmal Singh. 8 months ago

light has particles of photons.The big difference between electric and magnetic fields is that (as far as we know) there are no isolated magnetic charges. If there were isolated magnetic...
  img
Nirmal Singh. 8 months ago
what is the difference between emf and potential difference?

see the difference between emf and potential difference emf =potential difference+ current* internal resistance if the internal resistance is zero then emf=potential difference.
  img
Sher Mohammad 4 months ago
Please clear my doubt as I am unable to solve this.

please post the link of question, or post question again. sher mohammad faculty askiitians b.tech , iit delih
  img
Sher Mohammad 5 months ago

There is no link.I have taken a pic of my dpp

Amit chambial 5 months ago

Please reply soon

Amit chambial 5 months ago
what is a black hole?

A black hole is a place in space where gravity pulls so much that even light can not get out. The gravity is so strong because matter has been squeezed into a tiny space. This can happen...
  img
Aarti Gupta 7 months ago

Black holes are the cold remnants of former stars, so dense that no matter—not even light—is able to escape their powerful gravitational pull.

Indu 7 months ago
A Sonometer wire under tension of 64 Newtons vibrating in its fundamental mode is in resonance with a vibrating tuning fork. The vibrating portion of the sonometer wire has a length of 10 cm...

Hello Student, Please find the answer to your question Mass per unit length of somometer wire = m/ℓ = 0.001/0.1 = 0.01 kg/m v = √T/m = √64/(0.01) = 8 x 10 Also, ℷ/2 = 0.1 ⇒...
  img
Aditi Chauhan 5 months ago
View all Questions »