How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
a thin square sheet of side length l and thickness t is shown then resistance across the shaded side does not depend on l...why

Please provide the figure or describe the shaded part of the question.
  img
Ashish Kumar 7 months ago

u can take any one side of the square as shaded side

altaf 6 months ago

u can take any on side of the square is shaded

altaf 6 months ago
Write your question here!

1/v-1/u=1/f let distance from object to lens be x then dist from image to lens is 3-x 1/3-x-1/(-x)=1/f gives f=(x-3)*x/3 for max df/dt=0 gives x=3/2 f=0.75

sarathb 7 months ago

an object is placed 3m from a screen what is the maxim value of focal length of converging mirror that can form its image at screen?

sarathb 7 months ago
what accelerates the electron in the thin part of a current-carrying wire?

Consider a thick wire that narrows for some part of its length, connected to the terminals of a battery, hence carrying some current. Presumably the electrons have to speed up as the wire...
  img
Mukesh Sharma 4 months ago

The speed (drift) of the electrons has nothing to do with the area. v = µ e E Thanks & Regards Saurabh Singh, askIITians Faculty B.Tech. IIT Kanpur
  img
Saurabh Singh 3 months ago
View all Questions »