How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is ohms law

v=ir

mohit yadav one year ago

Ohm`s law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference across the two points. Introducing the constant of...

MANOJ KUMAR CHAUDHARY 9 months ago

At constant physical conditions,the potential difference across 2 pts of a conductor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. mathematically, V=IR where R is the conatant...

Piyush Agarwal one year ago
Why it is very difficult to transform D.C current into A.C current but easy to transform A.C into D.C current?

DC is hard to step down without losses. With AC you can use transformers. When you generate DC you can only transmit it 20 to 30 miles before the resistance of the wire starts to degrade it...
  img
bharat bajaj 2 months ago
Do we get a shock if we touch any wires coming from a DC circuit? For example, the wires of a tubelight in a bus etc?

The flow of electricity require complete close path, if you current gets a path through your body then surely you will get a bad shock, otherwise if path is not complete you will not get...
  img
Sher Mohammad 4 months ago
View all Questions »