Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 560 off
USE CODE: MOB20

How can a galvanometer be converted into a ammeter and voltmeter?plz explain?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER 
INTO AMMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument therefore it can’t measure heavy currents. In order to     convert a Galvanometer into an Ammeter, a very low resistance known as "shunt" resistance is     connected in parallel to Galvanometer. Value of shunt is so adjusted that most of the current passes     through the shunt. In this way a Galvanometer is converted into Ammeter and can measure heavy     currents without fully deflected.

VALUE OF SHUNT RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and it gives full-scale deflection when current Ig is passed through     it. Then,

Vg = IgRg -------(i)

Let a shunt of resistance (Rs) is connected in parallel to galvanometer. If total current through the     circuit is I.

Then current through shunt:

Is = (I-Ig)

potential difference across the shunt:

Vs= IsRs

or 
              Vs = (I – Ig)Rs -------(ii)

But

V=Vg
(I - Ig)Rs = IgR

CONVERSION OF GALVANOMETER INTO VOLTMETER

Since Galvanometer is a very sensitive instrument, therefore it can not measure high potential     difference. In order to convert a Galvanometer into voltmeter, a very high resistance known as "series     resistance" is connected in series with the galvanometer.

VALUE OF SERIES RESISTANCE

Let resistance of galvanometer = Rg and resistance R(high) is connected in series to it. Then     combined resistance = (R+ Rx).

If potential between the points to be measured = V and if galvanometer gives full-scale deflection,     when current "Ig" passes through it. Then,

V = Ig (Rg + Rx
V = IgR+ IgRx 
V – IgR= IgRx 
Rx = (V – IgRg)/Ig

Thus Rx can be found.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Electric Current

use kirchoff s rules to find the potential difference across A and D when no current flows in arm BE of given circuit.

Let I be the current flowing in the circuit. Apply kvl in loop. 11 – 5I – IR = 0 I = 11/(R +5) …............(1) Potential at A = 6V. Potential at D → = IR + 4 from eqn. (1) = 11R/(R+5) + 4...

Vikas TU one month ago
how to find resistance here? what’s the resistance? sorry for the unclear picture.

Dear Student, 1 ohm and 2ohm which are in series at the top (1+2 = 3 ohm) will be in parallel with the 2ohm and 4 ohm resisters which are in series at the bottom(2+4 = 6). On parallel...
  img
Vijay Mukati 3 months ago
what is tansformer and how it’s works and it’s uses?

Dear Durgaram, Transformer is nothing but a electroni device which is used for the increase or decrease the voltage.It works on the principle of mutual inductance.

SAI SARDAR 5 months ago

Dear Durgaram, Please tell me where are you studying.............................................................................................................

SAI SARDAR 5 months ago
Three charges -q,+q and -q are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle of side `a` . The resultant electric force on a charge +q placed at the centroid O of the triangle is

See for these type of questions. Draw the triangle and put charges at the three vertex and try to get the resultant force at the centroid by using the formula: F = K q1 q2/ r^2 You need to...
  img
Suraj Prasad 18 days ago
WHAT IS DOPPLER EFFCT AND HOW CAN WE FIND IT?

The Doppler effect is observed whenever the source of waves is moving with respect to an observer. described as the effect produced by a moving source of waves in which there is an apparent ...

KUNCHAM SAMPATH 11 months ago

The Doppler effect is observed whenever the source of waves is moving with respect to an observer. described as the effect produced by a moving source of waves in which there is an apparent ...

SHANMUKESHWAR 11 months ago

THE OCCURENT CHANGE IN FREQUENCY OF A WAVE MOTION DUE TO RELATIVE MOTION BETWEEN SOURCE AND LISTIONER

L GOUSE BASHA 11 months ago
WHAT IS PERMEABILITY CONSTANT HOW TO DETERMINED THAT CONSTANT.

The permiability constant is also known as the magnetic constant or the permeability of free space .it is represented a s μ 0 .its value is µ 0 = 4π × 10 − 7 H/m

naresh raju 7 months ago

Hello Sai The permeability constant (μ 0 ), also known as the magnetic constant or the permeability of free space, is a measure of the amount of resistance encountered when forming a...

Gaddam Chethan 6 months ago

dear friend.....AND it is also known as a permiability of free spaces.. 4π × 10 − 7 H/m µ 0 = “ and that value is the “µ 0 permiability constant is represented as the The permiability...

raj 6 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 520 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 560 off