There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 560 off

A voltmeter connected in series with a resistance R1 to a circuit indicates a voltage V1 = 198V. When a series resistance R2= 2 R1 is used, the voltmeter indicates a voltage V2 = 180V. If the resistance of the voltmeter is Rv = 900 ohm, then show that the applied voltage across A and B is 220V.

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

let applied voltage be x V

so, by kirchoffs laws, we have :

let I1 be current in case 1 and I2 be in case 2

so acroess voltmeters , we have    198 = 900I1      . .. (1)

180 = 900I2     ... (2)

and for whole circuit, we have : x - 198 = I1(R1+900)        ... (3)

x - 180 = I2(2R1+900)       ... (4)

on solving eqns, 1 to 4 , we have

x = 220V

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly.We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation. All the best.

IIT Kgp - 05 batch

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Electric Current

short note on ohmic and non ohmic substances with proper example
@kishor ohmic substances – these are purely conducter which obey ohms law at every temp , and pressure range . temp and pressure are kept as low and constant here . example – copper ,...
Umakant biswal one month ago
How to determine potential gradient of a given wire?
@arka potential gradient is the drop in potential per unit length of a wire . so, acc to the formula potential gradient = R/L so, as R= RHO*L/A SO, BY modifying potential gradient will be...
if 2Ω and 1Ω are the internal resistances of cells ,then the terminal voltage across 2 nd cell of 5V emf is ____
Apply Kvl kn the circuit, 10 + 5 – i – 2i = 0 3i = 15 i = 5 A terminal voltage across 5V is: => 5 – 5*1 = 0 v
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Atennis ball bounces down a flght of stairs striking each step in turn and rebounding to the height of the step above. Then coefficient of restitution is?
This can be visualised as: h is directly proprtional to v^2 and height get doubled after one step then, for height h initial vel. is v^2 after height 2h the vel. becomes 4v^2 e =...
Vikas TU 6 days ago
Hi Sankalp, I use the Android app, HashLearn, to get my doubts cleared by IIT tutors on HashLearn. You should definitely try it. :)
Ankit 6 days ago
On which chapters i have to concentrate more than others for all subjects??
@ pallavi for physics , concentrate more on mechanics as far as jee syllabus is concerned , and as far as 12 th board syllabus is concerned , then focus with optics part of class 12 th ,...
hey dear visit thanks
SAHIL one month ago
For the given incident ray ( refer to the image attached) the condition for total internal reflection of this ray the required refractive index of prism will be
the first equation is sin45×1=sin∂×Refractive index (snells law) 2.the second sin(90-∂)×refractive index=sin90×1 solve for refractive index
sunny 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 520 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 560 off

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts