microscopic form of ohms law

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Harpreet Singh,

Ohm's Law is the linear proportionality between current and voltage that occurs for most conductors of electricity. A graph of voltage against current is a straight line. The gradient is the resistance.

The most well known form of Ohm's law is V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current and R is the resistance. However there is another form of Ohm's law which often used by physicists that operates on a microscopic level, relating the current density J to the conductivity σ and the electric field, E.

To see how consider, the volume of material with faces of area A a distance l apart. With an e.m.f. V across the faces of the material

• the current is proportional to the voltage V

• the current is proportional to the surface area A

• and the current is inversely proportional to the distance l.

The current is therefore,

I = VAσ/l.

R = l/Aσ

The proportionality constant σ is the conductivity of the material.

V/l = |E|, and J = I/A in the direction of E so in general we have the constitutive relation.

J = σE

Good Luck!!!!!!

Plz. approve my answer, if you loved it, by clicking 'Yes' given below!!!!!!Plz. Plz. Plz.!!!!!!! Don't forget!!!!!!!!Smile

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is the difference between resistance and Resistivity

see basically , Resistance (R) of a conductor is defined as the ratio of the potential difference V across the ends of the conductor to the current I flowing through it. so , R= V/I. This...

Shyam Chand 8 months ago

Resistance (R) of a conductor is defined as the ratio of the potential difference V across the ends of the conductor to the current I flowing through it. so , R= V/ I. This equation is also...

Shyam Chand 8 months ago

resistance: 1. the action of opposing something that you disapprove or disagree with he encountered a general feeling of resistance from many citizens; despite opposition from the newspapers...

mahesh jadi 7 months ago
Two coils of resistance 3 Ohm and 6 Ohm . are connected in series across a battery of emf 12v . find electrical energy consumed in 1 min in each resistance when these are connected in...

Dear Student There is something missing in the answer by book because you were to calculate energy in each resistance which is not same in the two resistors. The complete answer should be...

shashi K Sharma 13 days ago
kdefjsdjfsdnjsdujjhsdsjk' hhjhkkhkjhdf kfdgjfhfnk ie ravi teja

he is great person of rgukt in kadapa

viva 7 months ago

naidu babu

sdafsd 7 months ago

badkow

viva 7 months ago
Two equal charges are placed at a separation of 1.0 m. What should be the magnitude of the charges so that the force between them equals the weight of a 50 kg person?

Sol. charges ‘q’ each, AB = 1 m Wt, of 50 kg person = 50 * g = 50 * 9.8 = 490 N F base c = kq base 1q base 2/r^2 ∴ kq base 2/r^2 = 490 N ⇒ q^2 = 490 * r^2/9 * 10^9 = 490 * 1 * 1/9 * 10^9 ⇒ q...
  img
Kevin Nash 3 months ago

a 50 kg person exerts a force mg i.e 500 newtons So, so so Thanks and Regards Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee askIITians Faculty
  img
Apoorva Arora 3 months ago
A small block of mass m is kept at the left end of a larger block of mass M and length L. The system can slide on a horizontal road.The system is started towards right with an initial...

or the block M, Ma2 = μ(M+m)g - μmg/2 a2 = Acceleration of M w.r.t. ground is μg(1+m/2M) towards right. For the block m, ma1 = μmg/2 a1 = acceleration of m w.r.t M is μg/2...
  img
Sher Mohammad 2 months ago
Two waves of equal amplitude A, and equal frequency travel in the same direction in a medium. the amplitude of the resultant wave at any instant is a) 0 b)A c)2A d)between 0 and 2A

C.

one year ago

D Depending on phase difference (0,2*pi) the resultant amplitude can be anywhere from 0 to 2A

India VK one year ago
View all Questions »