microscopic form of ohms law

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Harpreet Singh,

Ohm's Law is the linear proportionality between current and voltage that occurs for most conductors of electricity. A graph of voltage against current is a straight line. The gradient is the resistance.

The most well known form of Ohm's law is V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current and R is the resistance. However there is another form of Ohm's law which often used by physicists that operates on a microscopic level, relating the current density J to the conductivity σ and the electric field, E.

To see how consider, the volume of material with faces of area A a distance l apart. With an e.m.f. V across the faces of the material

• the current is proportional to the voltage V

• the current is proportional to the surface area A

• and the current is inversely proportional to the distance l.

The current is therefore,

I = VAσ/l.

R = l/Aσ

The proportionality constant σ is the conductivity of the material.

V/l = |E|, and J = I/A in the direction of E so in general we have the constitutive relation.

J = σE

Good Luck!!!!!!

Plz. approve my answer, if you loved it, by clicking 'Yes' given below!!!!!!Plz. Plz. Plz.!!!!!!! Don't forget!!!!!!!!Smile

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Why are there no standard potentials more negative than – 3V, and more positive than about +2V, in aqueous solution?

The values of standard electrode potentials are given at A temperature of 298.15 K (25 °C); An effective concentration of 1mol/L for each aqueous species or a species in a mercury amalgam ;...
  img
Sher Mohammad 5 months ago

he values of standard electrode potentials are given at A temperature of 298.15 K (25 °C); An effective concentration of 1mol/L for each aqueous species or a species in a mercury amalgam ; A...
  img
Find the gravitational force of attraction between 2 electrons and coulamb force between 2 electrons when r=1m, me=9.13*10^-31 kg, G=6.67*10^-11 N-m^2/kg. And then find Fc/Fg .

Hi Please evaluate yourself. Thanks & Regards, Arun Kumar, Btech,IIT Delhi, Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 4 months ago

Fg= Gmeme/r^2 Fc=ke^2/r^2 Fc/Fg=Gm1m2/ke^2 put the values to get answer.
  img
Sher Mohammad 4 months ago
Please clear my doubt as I am unable to solve this.

please post the link of question, or post question again. sher mohammad faculty askiitians b.tech , iit delih
  img
Sher Mohammad 3 months ago

There is no link.I have taken a pic of my dpp

Amit chambial 3 months ago

Please reply soon

Amit chambial 3 months ago
A straight rod of mass m and length l can slide on two parallel plastic rails kept in a horizontal plane with separation d. The coefficient of friction between the wire and the rails is...

Let us consider the Magnetic field is B. Then The force on the wire due to magnetic field is F = ilB If the wire does not slide on the rails, the force of friction by the rails should be...

Nirmal Singh 8 months ago
In a Transformer,,, Why is the back emf in the primary coil equal to the voltage supplied to the Primary coil

If you apply kirchfoff's voltage law to the primary coil of the transformer, you get the back emf equal to supplied voltage. Actually it is not equal, it is a little less than supplied...
  img
The acceleration of a block kept on a wedge inclined at an angle 37 degrees with horizontal is 15 i + 15 j . Then acceleration of the wedge so that the block always remains in contact with...

Dear student, First of all, draw a neat diagram showing the block and the wedge. Draw FBD of the block and find out the required acceleration of the wedge to balance all the forces on the...
  img
Shobhit Varshney one month ago
View all Questions »