microscopic form of ohms law

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Harpreet Singh,

Ohm's Law is the linear proportionality between current and voltage that occurs for most conductors of electricity. A graph of voltage against current is a straight line. The gradient is the resistance.

The most well known form of Ohm's law is V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current and R is the resistance. However there is another form of Ohm's law which often used by physicists that operates on a microscopic level, relating the current density J to the conductivity σ and the electric field, E.

To see how consider, the volume of material with faces of area A a distance l apart. With an e.m.f. V across the faces of the material

• the current is proportional to the voltage V

• the current is proportional to the surface area A

• and the current is inversely proportional to the distance l.

The current is therefore,

I = VAσ/l.

R = l/Aσ

The proportionality constant σ is the conductivity of the material.

V/l = |E|, and J = I/A in the direction of E so in general we have the constitutive relation.

J = σE

Good Luck!!!!!!

Plz. approve my answer, if you loved it, by clicking 'Yes' given below!!!!!!Plz. Plz. Plz.!!!!!!! Don't forget!!!!!!!!Smile

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is terminal voltage?

Terminal voltage is the voltage output of a device is measured across its terminals. Terminal voltage is calculated by V = emf - Ir. Thanks & Regards Rinkoo Gupta AskIITians Faculty
  img
Rinkoo Gupta 2 months ago

terminal voltage is voltage across both ends of the battery when the battery is connected in a circuit. so, v=emf - current*(internal resistance of battery).

Arun Kumar 2 months ago

: the voltage at the terminals of an electrical device (as a battery or a generator).

Indu 2 months ago
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE AND CURRENT

Current is the rate at which electric charge flows past a point in a circuit. Voltage is the electrical force that would drive an electric current between two points. Comparison chart...
  img
Rinkoo Gupta 2 months ago

Current is the amount of charge that passes through some point in a circuit per time. Potential difference is the amount of potential energy between two points in a circuit per charge.

Indu 2 months ago
what is destractive interfearence?

Destructive interference is a type of interference that occurs at any location along the medium where the two interfering waves have a displacement in the opposite direction. For instance,...

JUnnarkar 10 months ago
In a transformer, number of turns in the primary coil are 140 and that in the secondary coil are 280. If current in primary coil is 4 A, then that in the secondary coil is (a) 4 A (b) 2 A...

(b) N p = 140 , N s = 280, I p = 4A, I s = ? For a transformer I s / I p =N P / N s ? I s /4 = 140 / 250 ? I s = 2A Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
  img
Navjyot Kalra one month ago

We know that for a transformer I 1 N 1 = I 2 N 2 where I 1 and I 2 are the currents through the coil and N 1 = N 2 are the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils. Therefore, I 2...
  img
Vasantha Kumari one month ago
which is correct about photo electrons 1. electrons are emitted from metal surface when light falls on it 2. the KE of photo elecrons is more for light of longer wavelength in comparison to...

Electrons are emitted form metal surface only if the wavelength is more than the critical wavelength, so none of the above is answer. sher mohammad b.tech, iit delhi
  img
Sher Mohammad 2 months ago

thanx

Shivam 2 months ago
View all Questions »