microscopic form of ohms law

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Harpreet Singh,

Ohm's Law is the linear proportionality between current and voltage that occurs for most conductors of electricity. A graph of voltage against current is a straight line. The gradient is the resistance.

The most well known form of Ohm's law is V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current and R is the resistance. However there is another form of Ohm's law which often used by physicists that operates on a microscopic level, relating the current density J to the conductivity σ and the electric field, E.

To see how consider, the volume of material with faces of area A a distance l apart. With an e.m.f. V across the faces of the material

• the current is proportional to the voltage V

• the current is proportional to the surface area A

• and the current is inversely proportional to the distance l.

The current is therefore,

I = VAσ/l.

R = l/Aσ

The proportionality constant σ is the conductivity of the material.

V/l = |E|, and J = I/A in the direction of E so in general we have the constitutive relation.

J = σE

Good Luck!!!!!!

Plz. approve my answer, if you loved it, by clicking 'Yes' given below!!!!!!Plz. Plz. Plz.!!!!!!! Don't forget!!!!!!!!Smile

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Please clear my doubt as I am unable to solve this.

please post the link of question, or post question again. sher mohammad faculty askiitians b.tech , iit delih
  img
Sher Mohammad one month ago

There is no link.I have taken a pic of my dpp

Amit chambial 29 days ago

Please reply soon

Amit chambial one month ago
what will happen to range of trajectory when height is halved

range of trajectory when height is halved will aslo be get halfed. sher mohammad faculty askiitians b.tech, iit delhi
  img
Sher Mohammad 18 days ago

ange of trajectory when height is halved will also be get half . ange of trajectory when height is halved
  img
Sher Mohammad 18 days ago
A person goes to bed everyday at 10 pm. Is it an example of periodic motion or not? If yes what is the time period? If no, why?

Maybe Yes! It is periodic because the action in repeated again and again after every 24 hours. So the time period will be 24 hours? Am I correct?

Akshansh Jain 6 months ago
The ionization energy of a hydrogen like Bohr atoms is 4 Rydbergs. (i) What is the wavelength of the radiation emitted when the electrons jumps from the first excited state to the ground...

Hello Student, Please find the answer to your question (i) E n = - I.E. / n 2 for Bohr’s hydrogen atom. Here, I.E. = 4R ∴ E n = -4R / n 2 ∴ E 2 – E 1 = -4R / 2 2...
  img
Kevin Nash one month ago
HYOGENS PRINCIPLE

Light is a wave. Each point on a wave frant acts as a source of a new disturbence and therefore emits its own set of sherical waves which are called secondary wavelets. The secondary...

RAGHAVA 10 months ago
a charge of Qcoulomb is placed on a solid piece of metal of irregular shape.the charge will distribute itself....a-uniformly on the metal surface b- uniformly oon the surfa e of objet c-...

as the metal surface is irregular therefor surface charge density is to be considered it means the chrge distribution is non uniform .At the pointed surface of the metal more charge will be...

Sandeep Trivedi 10 months ago

uniformly on metal surface..... refer mechanism of conduction in metals

Praful S 10 months ago

c is the correct option

Amit Saxena 10 months ago
View all Questions »