There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 50% OFF on Online Material.
Use coupon code: MOB50 | View Course list

microscopic form of ohms law

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Harpreet Singh,

Ohm's Law is the linear proportionality between current and voltage that occurs for most conductors of electricity. A graph of voltage against current is a straight line. The gradient is the resistance.

The most well known form of Ohm's law is V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current and R is the resistance. However there is another form of Ohm's law which often used by physicists that operates on a microscopic level, relating the current density J to the conductivity σ and the electric field, E.

To see how consider, the volume of material with faces of area A a distance l apart. With an e.m.f. V across the faces of the material

• the current is proportional to the voltage V

• the current is proportional to the surface area A

• and the current is inversely proportional to the distance l.

The current is therefore,

I = VAσ/l.

R = l/Aσ

The proportionality constant σ is the conductivity of the material.

V/l = |E|, and J = I/A in the direction of E so in general we have the constitutive relation.

J = σE

Good Luck!!!!!!

Plz. approve my answer, if you loved it, by clicking 'Yes' given below!!!!!!Plz. Plz. Plz.!!!!!!! Don't forget!!!!!!!!Smile

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

define mean free path of electron in a conductor and why is the manganin used for making standard resistors?
mean free path:the average distance covered by an electron between two successive collisions is calles mean free path. for manganin, temperatur co-efficient of resistance is very very...
BOLLU SRINIVAS 15 days ago
In physics, the mean free path is the average distance traveled by a moving particle (such as an atom, a molecule, a photon) between successive impacts (collisions), which modify its...
SAI SARDAR 15 days ago
for magnin
BOLLU SRINIVAS 15 days ago
a 5 o C rise in temp. is observed in a conductor by passing a current . when the current is doubled , the rise in temp. will be approx.?
The rise in temp is 20C. Heat α rise in temp Heat α (current)^2 rise in temp α (current)^2.
erra akhil 4 months ago
As H α I 2 and H α ΔT So here the final temp. is 20 0 C
Adarsh 4 months ago
If work done is a scalar,how can it be negative???
This postulate does not mean that energy from a body does not lose. Energy is lost in surroundings but may change into another form. Total energy of Universe remain constant. Further...
Carmel Emmanuel one month ago
Though work is a scalar quantity but the sign is used to tell significance of energy gained or lost by a system. if work done is positive system gains energy if work done negative the...
Carmel Emmanuel one month ago
How can you say that energy is gained or lost? It is a basic postulate that enegy can neither be gained nor lost...
Gopikrishnan one month ago
Absolute zero is a minimum temperature. Is there a maximum temperature?
As far as we know there is no such limit of max. temperature. Temperature is known to be related to energy (thermal) and Einstein’s theory of relativity means that although a particle has a ...
AUREA 4 months ago
grenade 4 months ago
what is meant by collision
Collision is a type of Physical Interaction between two or more objects (In Collision Shape , direction, energy can change)
Aakash one month ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
To Win!!!
Click Here for details