microscopic form of ohms law

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Harpreet Singh,

Ohm's Law is the linear proportionality between current and voltage that occurs for most conductors of electricity. A graph of voltage against current is a straight line. The gradient is the resistance.

The most well known form of Ohm's law is V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current and R is the resistance. However there is another form of Ohm's law which often used by physicists that operates on a microscopic level, relating the current density J to the conductivity σ and the electric field, E.

To see how consider, the volume of material with faces of area A a distance l apart. With an e.m.f. V across the faces of the material

• the current is proportional to the voltage V

• the current is proportional to the surface area A

• and the current is inversely proportional to the distance l.

The current is therefore,

I = VAσ/l.

R = l/Aσ

The proportionality constant σ is the conductivity of the material.

V/l = |E|, and J = I/A in the direction of E so in general we have the constitutive relation.

J = σE

Good Luck!!!!!!

Plz. approve my answer, if you loved it, by clicking 'Yes' given below!!!!!!Plz. Plz. Plz.!!!!!!! Don't forget!!!!!!!!Smile

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what will happen to range of trajectory when height is halved

range of trajectory when height is halved will aslo be get halfed. sher mohammad faculty askiitians b.tech, iit delhi
  img
Sher Mohammad one month ago

ange of trajectory when height is halved will also be get half . ange of trajectory when height is halved
  img
Sher Mohammad one month ago
why water accept the current?

pure water cannot conduct current but lake water fresh water has some ions in it and hence due to ions there is a flow of ions and hence it accepts current Thanks & Regards Mukesh Sharma...
  img
Mukesh Sharma 6 months ago

water has base ion

haripriya 6 months ago
Lighting a tunnel: A person walking through the tunnel turns a lamp in the first half of it and then he turns a second lamp for the second half of the tunnel and the first one is turned off....

Thanks & Regards, Nirmal Singh Askiitians faculty
  img
Nirmal Singh. 4 months ago

parallel connection of the two bulbs is the correct way

VISHAL GAUTAM 4 months ago
Difference between solenoid and inductor ?

inductors are devices use to control electric flow in otyer words it resists change in electric current and are used to store magnetic energy whereas solenoid describes an inductor woujd in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago
what willbe the magnetic field at the center of a current carrying circular coil carrying current I . and why?

since magnetic field at any point P on the axis of circular current carring coil is B = ( µ 0 iR 2) / (2[R 2 + X 2 ] 3/2) where R :- Radius of coil i = current x = sepration of point from...

Ashwin 5 days ago
what is difference between single slit diffraction and double slit experiment?

The single-slit diffraction pattern is due to interference between the light passing through one half of the slit width vs. light passing through the other half. The double-slit or...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

the single-slit diffraction pattern is due to interference between the light passing through one half of the slit width vs. light passing through the other half. The double-slit or...
  img
Rinkoo Gupta 3 months ago
View all Questions »