There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

A voltmeter of resistance R1 and an ammeter of resistance R2 are connected in series across a battery of negligible internal resistance . When a resistance R is connected in parrallel to voltmeter , reading of ammeter increases 3 times while that of voltmeter  reduces one third. Find R1 and R2 in terms of R.

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear rajan,

Ans :- Case I :

Now the potetial across the battery is given by

Vb = I(R1 + R2).(where I is the current flowing in the circut)

Case II :

Given that the ammeter reading increases 3 times and Hence the net current 3I is drawn from the battery.

Current in voltmeter is reduced to one third,Hence current in voltmeter is I/3

Hence the  Remaining I-I/3 passes through R.

The current through R = 8I/3

VC - VD the potential difference across the voltmeter and the resistance should be same

Hence IR1/3 = 8IR/3

=> R1 = 8R.

Applying Kirchoff's Voltage Rule in ABFGA :

Vb = 3IR2 + IR1/3  = I(R1 + R2)   (The battery potentail is same in both the cases)

(R1 + R2) = 3R2+R1/3

=> R2 = R1/3

=> R2 = 8R/3

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Suryakanth –IITB

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Electric Current

electric current means?
@ babi electric current , we can define it as the flow of electrons or the charge carriers per unit cross sectional area . its unit are in ampere . u can use the besic formula to answer and ...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Electric current is the flow of charges that is flow of elctrons which causes the current to flow in the direction opposite to the flow of elctrons.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
In a straight conductor of uniform crosss section charge q is flowing for time t. Let s be the specific charge of an electron. the momentum of all the free electrons per unit length of the...
@raghavendra I = nAeV d where n = no. of electrons per unit volume, A= area of cross section of the wire , e = charge of an electron , V d = drift velocity what we want is momentum per unit ...
venketep prasad m c 3 months ago
) A 12 kW heater having efficiency 80% is connected to a 220 V, 50 Hz supply. Find the reactive component of the input current if its power factor is 0.75 lagging.
Power actual = 0.8 * 12 => 9.6 KW = > 9600 Watt. 9600 = Irms x 220/root2 x 0.75 Irms = 82.2690 A. the reactive current and resistance current would be same as in series .
Vikas TU 24 days ago
) Two particles, each of mass m and carrying charge Q, are separated by some distance.If they are in equilibrium under mutual gravitational and electrostatic forces,then Q/m (in C/Kg) is of...
Assuming the charges are aligned vertically one after another as gravity force is also acting upon them. Therfore, Balancing the elctrostatic force with mg force, KQ^2/r = 2mg Q^2/m = 2gr/K ...
Vikas TU 23 days ago
dear iitians, please derive wave function Acos(kx-wt)
Dear Suresh, For deriving the wave function ACos(kx-wt) you have to cosider the ncert books and answer is given in chapter wavemotion.
SAI SARDAR 10 months ago
dear suresh... A wave function in quantum mechanics describes the quantum state of an isolated system of one or more particles. There is one wave function containing all the information...
mohan 9 months ago
Hello Suresh These wave functions are solutions of a differential equation called the wave ..... derivative of y With a— : a—[A sin( kx — wt )] = A cos (kx — (DOT = kA cos(kx ~ wt)
Gaddam Chethan 9 months ago
dear experts DC currents are difficult to handle and also they cannot be used in household circuit as they cannnot able to run the transfermer.. so, why its required to convert ac to dc...
Agreed DC is not used in household circuits, but it is used in lot of places where small regulated voltage is required. like electronics circuits. Diwali lights for example require DC...
Riddhish Bhalodia 8 months ago
Direct current ( DC ) is the unidirectional flow of electric charge. Direct current is produced by sources such as batteries, power supplies, thermocouples, solar cells, or dynamos. In...
Prabhakar ch 8 months ago
Dc currents is the unidirectional flow of electric charge. Direct current is produced by sources such as batteries, thermocouples, solar cells, and commutator-type electric machines of the...
N JYOTHEESWAR 8 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts