Sir in this question Prove that the vectors 3i+2j-2k,-i+3j+4k and 4i-j-6k can form a triangle. If we find the distance between the vectors and add them then we get zero so it is proved. But I cannot understand why do we find the distance between the vectors. Because these already represent vectors which form a triangle and I don't think these are the vertices. I think I have conceptual misunderstanding. Pls explain Thanks Jai

Sir in this question
Prove that the vectors 3i+2j-2k,-i+3j+4k and 4i-j-6k can form a triangle.
If we find the distance between the vectors and add them then we get zero so it is proved. 
But I cannot understand why do we find the distance between the vectors. Because these already represent vectors which form a triangle and I don't think these are the vertices.
I think I have conceptual misunderstanding.
Pls explain
Thanks
Jai

Grade:12

1 Answers

Latika Leekha
askIITians Faculty 165 Points
9 years ago
Hello Jai,
Whenever a question requires you to find whether the vectors form a triangle, the best and the simplest way is to use the triangle law of addition. If the vectors form a triangle they will obviously satisfy the triangle law of addition.
Here, we have (say)
A = 3i+2j-2k,
B = -i+3j+4k and
C = 4i-j-6k
Note that B + C = (-1 + 4)i + (3-1)j + (-6+4)k
= 3i + 2j - 2k
= A
Hence, since the sum of two vectors equals the third vector so the given vectors form a triangle.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free