Pls help me out..... Is it advisable to join a good stream in NITs than not so popular streams like metallurgical, ocean engineering, biotech in IITs...preferably Kharagpur, or for that matter any IIT ....I would like to cater help from passout of the above mentioned fields...and their experience and their current status....Pls help me out friends...Im very inclined towards IITs....but also skeptical abt my future after pursuing the above fields......

Pls help me out.....
Is it advisable to join a good stream in NITs than not so popular streams like metallurgical, ocean engineering, biotech in IITs...preferably Kharagpur, or for that matter any IIT ....I would like to cater help from passout of the above mentioned fields...and their experience and their current status....Pls help me out friends...Im very inclined towards IITs....but also skeptical abt my future after pursuing the above fields......

Grade:12

2 Answers

Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty 181 Points
9 years ago
I would say that What others have adviced you is absolutely correct. I know everybody wants to go to IIT. But now a days, The level of the NITs is not less. Every company which comes in placement season in the IITs go to the NITs as well. So, If you have a good branch in your hand, You will have greater opportunities with you in the coming future. So, If you are thinking with a broader perspective, like placements, You should go with the higher branches even if not IIT because otherwise you will regret it later. But, If your interest is in these branches, like Biotech, Oceonography etc. You should definitely join the IITs.
Thanks and Regards
Apoorva Arora
IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty
Rohit Tevnan
14 Points
9 years ago
If sir, you are talking in terms of placements, what about Geophysical and Geological in IIT Roorkee, they have sky-rocketing placements these days. And again what others have said it is essential to have a Masters’ degree, irrespective of the stream in which you hold your Bachelor’s degree, and also IITs provide you with lot of openings and opportunities, like the flexile curriculum in which you can study for eg. electronics and do projects in the field even if you are a student of metallurgy. The training they give, Global exposure you get after passing out from IIT is always there, and may peopleafter passing from these fields enter other sectors( software, finance, marketing etc)....I personally have a lot of inclination towarrds MBA and ot much towards engineering.Please give me your reviews on this, it will be of great help to me.
Thanking You

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free