Is there ny Criteria to Change the Course in second year in iit.If i got addmission in computer or ny other branch can i change it to mechanical in second year?

Is there ny Criteria to Change the Course in second year in iit.If i got addmission in computer or ny other branch can i change it to mechanical in second year?

Grade:Upto college level

1 Answers

Badiuddin askIITians.ismu Expert
148 Points
14 years ago

Dear ranjan

yes you can change the branch .

each indivisual institute has their own rule for branch chage.Refer official site of IITs for more detail.

for IIT Bombay rule of change of branch is .....

Students are eligible to apply for change of Branch/ Programme after completing the first two semesters. Only
those students who complete the prescribed course credits without backlog during the first two semesters of 4-year
B.Tech./5-year M.Sc./Dual Degree programmes and have secured a Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) of 6.5 or
more shall be eligible to apply for change of Branch/Programme. The following rules/guidelines will be used for
considering applications for change:
1. Top 1% of total number of students admitted in the year will be permitted to change branch without any
constraints.
2. For others, change will be permitted strictly on merit basis. Students without fail grades and backlogs, and with CPI
> 6.5 will be eligible to apply and can give their choices.
3. The request for change (in the order of merit) for a student  S1 from branch A to branch B will be considered if the
(a) Strength of branch B does not exceed the sanctioned  strength
(b) Number of students on roll in branch A does not fall below 85%.

(The request of S1 will be reconsidered – again in the order of merit – if S1 does not violate (b) above due to another
student getting transferred to branch A.) 4. If student S1 is not permitted to change from branch A to
B (due to (b) above), any other student S2 with CPI less than S1 will also not be permitted to change to branch B.
5. The request for change of branch from a student belonging to SC/ST category may be considered as
special cases by the Chairman, Senate, on merit. 6. All branch transfers can be effected only once at the
beginning of the second academic year. No application for change of branch during the subsequent academic
years will be entertained. 7. Students will be permitted to change from B.Tech. to Dual Degree Programme in the same department at the end  of third and fourth semesters subject to the department’s  recommendation.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free