Chem help Partial Pressure? I was hoping someone can help me figure out how this Partial Pressure/Mole fraction problem is solved. I know the answer is 4.2 atm but Im not quite sure how that answer is derived. A diver breathes a heliox mixture with an oxygen mole fraction of 0.050. What must the total pressure be for the partial pressure of oxygen to be 0.21 atm? Thank you!

Chem help Partial Pressure?
I was hoping someone can help me figure out how this Partial Pressure/Mole fraction problem is solved. I know the answer is 4.2 atm but Im not quite sure how that answer is derived.
A diver breathes a heliox mixture with an oxygen mole fraction of 0.050. What must the total pressure be for the partial pressure of oxygen to be 0.21 atm?
Thank you!

Grade:12

2 Answers

Mujahid Ahmed
42 Points
10 years ago

Partial pressure of gas = Mole fraction x Total pressure.

0.21 = 1/20 x P

P = 4.2 atm

Approve if i helped :)

Vikas TU
14149 Points
10 years ago

From Gauss''s law it is:
partial pressure of oxygen = mole fraction of O2 x total pressure
or
Pa = Xa.Pt

0.21 = 0.050 x Pt
Pt = 0.21/0.050
= 4.2 atm

Derivation:

Gauss''s laws states that in gaseous medium or .ie. if the mixture having all in gaseous state then some conditions have been brought under practical observation. And u will need to remind them for doing further calculations.

1) Partial pressure of each gas or component is given as:

Pa = Xa . Pt (say component a)
or
Pb = Xb .Pt (say component b)

2) Total pressure is equals to sum of all the partial pressures of all components (gases)

Pt = Pa + Pb (always remember)

If u sort out this:

U will also get an relation as:

Xa + Xb = 1
which says that sum of the mol fractions of all component is always equals to 1.

Plz  Approve!

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free