How must i study organic chemistry?? I have Morrison n Boyd & arihant. Are the problems given in Morrison n Boyd adequate for JEE?? I read in many posts that arihant has many mistakes. Is that true?? Does the new edition also have mistakes?? Currently i m studying physics from HCV. Is there any need 2 refer any other book like DC Pandey?? I m studying maths from ML Khanna. Is it a good book?? Is there a need to study from some other book too?? Is 'VPM objective maths' a good book?? Is it beneficial 2 solve previous years JEE papers?? I am looking for a rank of abt 2000. Please answer accordingly

How must i study organic chemistry??
I have Morrison n Boyd & arihant.
Are the problems given in Morrison n Boyd adequate for JEE??
I read in many posts that arihant has many mistakes. Is that true??
Does the new edition also have mistakes??

Currently i m studying physics from HCV. Is there any need 2 refer any other book like DC Pandey??

I m studying maths from ML Khanna. Is it a good book?? Is there a need to study from some other book too?? Is 'VPM objective maths' a good book??

Is it beneficial 2 solve previous years JEE papers??

I am looking for a rank of abt 2000. Please answer accordingly

Grade:12

1 Answers

Rohith Gandhi
24 Points
14 years ago

Dear Sh ha,

I was exactly in your position, 4 years ago while i'm preparing for my IIT JEE entrance. I want to tell you what I've followed.

From my experience, there are two parts to think about when you pick a book for organic chemistry. First one is how well the theory is explained and second one is how well the problems are solved, i.e. how many practice problems are given. The second part can be obtained from any book like op tandon, rk gupta etc.. but the first part i.e. theory is pretty important. i have followed both morrison boyd and solomons in my first year while preparing for IIT JEE, after which some one suggested me a book called L.G. Wade Jr, organic chemistry. After reading it, i realised that it was the best book that you can get to clear your concepts with organic chemistry. The literature is too student friendly and the mechanisms are given very clearly. So, I advise you if possible take L.G. Wade Jr.

Yes, what you read is right, arihant has many mistakes, which is reason why many students don't follow it. But, there are some competitive problems. So i suggest you to follow this only for problems and try not looking for its solutions for maximum extent. I mean final answer may be right, but the mechanism is wrong sometimes.

HCV is the best book you can get to prepare IIT JEE. There is no question in that. Yo need not take DC Pandey or any other book like that. But if you have time you can also take Halliday Resnik, fundamentals of physics, which is also a great book for understanding concepts.

And, ML Khanna is a good book for maths with vast no. of solved problems of all models, so that is enough.

It is very beneficial to solve previous years JEE papers, but try to concentrate on Screening papers which are objective. as there is no Mains paper this time. This will test your competency and how much more work you need to do.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We
are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best Sh ha !!!

Regards,

Askiitians Experts
Rohith Gandhi, IIT Kgp

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free