How to memorize derivation?

How to memorize derivation?

Grade:12

3 Answers

Ashwin Sinha
520 Points
12 years ago

Dear Arjun Sharma,

Learn the physics, then you can derive the equations you will need. Part of learning the physics is learning the definitions and part is learning the laws, theories, and hypotheses. If you understand these, you should be able to ACE the next exam.

As a retired practicing physicist, I memorized very few equations. And those I did memorize were memorized through frequent use, not because I set out to memorize anything by rote.

Closer to home, as a Top Contributor in Physics, I've answered a lot of questions about trajectories and projectiles, including max range, height, etc. questions. When I first started answering those questions, I used the fundamental conservation of energy law to derive all the equations needed to find the ranges, heights, times, etc. of a trajectory.

I remembered the law, but not the equations, governing trajectories. It had been a long time since I had done trajectory problems at work. So I forgot the equations. But the law stuck with me as it really is pretty simplistic... energy is neither created not destroyed and the corollary, a closed system retains its total energy throughout. From that alone, I could derive the equations needed to do Answers.

Eventually, I memorized some of the equations that kept popping up in my derivations; like R = (U^2/g) sin(2theta) the so-called range equation. But that resulted because I derived them over and over, not because I set out to memorize them by rote.

And that's the approach you should take when studying for exams. Learn the major points of the physics (e.g., Newton's motion laws, conservation of energy, conservation of momentum). Then... THEN... derive some equations on your own, starting with the physics.... including definitions.

I stress definitions because many Askers ask questions that indicate they have no clue about fundamental definitions in physics. Also, some definitions, when written mathematically can give one a head start in deriving further equations. The math definition of impulse dP = m dV = F dt is a great example of this. This little gem can be used to derive all of Newt's motion equations, which I understand he did on impulse one day. [Sorry.]

One last note... when under stress of a time constrained exam, one cannot derive all the equations because that is too time consuming. But if you start with the basics, the ones that are definitional like the impulse equation, that should be enough equations you might need to memorize by rote, just to save time. But if the exams are take home or have virtually no time constraint, start with the physics and go from there.

Hope this helped you dear...........

All The Best........

Plz. approve my answer by clicking 'Yes' given below, if you loved it......... Plz. Plz. Plz. don't forget to do it......Smile

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
12 years ago

Dear student,

For dervivations you have to practise by writing it again n again in rough copy...

BEST OF LUCK..!!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh - IIT Delhi

Tej Ray
96 Points
12 years ago

Physics :
The subject which has lot of scope for the concepts to get grip as an IIT JEE Aspirants in Physics. Some Formulae and their Application and guessing the answer based on the both then its almost easy to crack IIT JEE Physics Paper. If not it will be much difficult to get good marks.

• In this situation the students should identify the fields in which they are good and in which they must focus much, one must check the 10 years weightage of the Marks from the topics and on must take lightly on the topics which get less than 15% weightage and focus on others.
• In that calculation if the weightage of the topic ranges from 90-95% then its supposed to be the major aspect and focus much on them.
• The students must focus on the topics in which they are good at.
• Firstly the students should get the 2nd year portion for the Preparation and then for the 1st year.
• The students who have already started preparation and also going for the coaching will have more chances. The lecturers guidance will be useful for them
• The students should follow some strategies in the Books for the preparation too. The Books with descriptive questions should be given higher priority.
• In case of Physics Self Study Calendar is most prominent one. The students should prepare the calendar so that one should study a minimum of 4 hours a day.
• Appearing as many as test will be useful

Topics to be Focused :
• Gravitation, Electrostatics, Magneto staics,
• Current electricity, heat transformers, Fluid dynamics.
• Sound waves, Wave Optics, Superposition principle, simple harmonic motion. Mechanics, Modern physics, Nuclear Physics, Thermo dynamics, Elasticity and surface tension and ElectroMagnetism,.

IT WILL HELP YOU....

GOOD LUCK...ARJUN.....

PLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZ APPROVE MY ANSWER.....Laughing

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free