I have one doubt. Whats this IIT Screening and mains? If we get under 1000 rank in screening then we have to choose line as per screening score or main test score? And is it very hard to pass IIT Mains after clearing screening? When there are maximum chances to get in IIT Bombay? What should be our rank to get in EC-IC in IIT Bombay? And what approx. percentile score can bring our rank in 200 (percentile out of 100)?

I have one doubt. Whats this IIT Screening and mains? If we get under 1000 rank in screening then we have to choose line as per screening score or main test score? And is it very hard to pass IIT Mains after clearing screening? When there are maximum chances to get in IIT Bombay? What should be our rank to get in EC-IC in IIT Bombay? And what approx. percentile score can bring our rank in 200 (percentile out of 100)?

Grade:11

2 Answers

AskIITians Expert Hari Shankar IITD
17 Points
14 years ago

Hi

Before 2006, for admission into IITs, one had to clear both IIT Screening and Mains. About 200,000 students appeared in Screening. Out of these, about 20,000 qualified Screening. These 20,000 students then had to write IIT-JEE Mains, which consisted of a subjective exam on each Physics, Chem and Maths. Only Mains has Ranks. Screening has no ranks. Only those who qualify screening can write Mains.

But that was before 2006. From 2006 onwards, there is only one IIT-JEE. There is no screening and mains now. Only one IIT-JEE exam has to be cleared and you get your stream based on that.

Percentile score = No. of students who scored less than you/ Total no. of students who appeared. * 100

About 300,000 people give IIT-JEE. SO if your rank is 200, then 300,000-200 = 299,800 students scored less than you. This means a percentile score of 299,800/300,000 * 100 = 99.93 percentile.

I think you should get EC in IITB with a rank of less than 1000.For computer science, you need rank less than 100.

I hope it helps.

Kshitij nandwana
24 Points
6 years ago
Only top 60 gets selected in IIT BOMBAY COMPUTER SCIENCE
So you should prepare for that only
Thank you

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free