What is the reduction potential of the following half cell under the specified conditions and at 298 K? (i) Cl2 + 2e ---> 2Cl- (negative ion), [Cl-] = 0.10M, partial pressure of Cl2 = 0.10 atm. I need to know how do we substitute the partial pressure of cl2, I was said that first we have to convert it into concentration and then substitute in nernst equation, but i dont know the exact answer. Could anyone help me out with this please?

What is the reduction potential of the following half cell under the specified conditions and at 298 K?

(i) Cl2 + 2e ---> 2Cl- (negative ion), [Cl-] = 0.10M, partial pressure of Cl2 = 0.10 atm.

I need to know how do we substitute the partial pressure of cl2, I was said that first we have to convert it into concentration and then substitute in nernst equation, but i dont know the exact answer. Could anyone help me out with this please?

Grade:12

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

Use pressure to calculate concentration-

c=P/RT

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free