a centrifuge consists of 4 solid cylindrical containers , each of mass m at radial distance r from the axis of rotation. time t is required to bring the centrifuge to an angular velocity W from rest under a constant torque T applied to the shaft. the radius of each container is A and the mass of the shaft and arms is small compared to m. then t=............................. ans= 2m(a 2 +2r 2 )W/T fig:-

a centrifuge consists of 4 solid cylindrical containers , each of mass m at radial distance r from the axis of rotation. time t is required to bring the centrifuge to an angular velocity W from rest under a constant torque T applied to the shaft. the radius of each container is A and the mass of the shaft and arms is small compared to m. then t=.............................

ans= 2m(a2+2r2)W/T

fig:-  

312_23440_scan0008.jpg

Grade:12

3 Answers

AKASH GOYAL AskiitiansExpert-IITD
420 Points
13 years ago

Dear Pranay

Plz see the pic for solution.

All the best.

AKASH GOYAL

AskiitiansExpert-IITD

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

1143_23499_Photo-0106.jpg

vikas askiitian expert
509 Points
13 years ago

net torque on the shaft is given...

now we can find net angular accleration of the system by

T=I(alfa)                         (T -torque,alfa - angura accleration and I is total moment of inertial of system )

alfa = T/I .........1

moment of inertial of any of cylender about the axis of rotation is I1

I1 = I(about its own axis) + I(about axis of rotation)

I1 = ma2 /2 + md2                     ( a is radius of cylender and r is perpendicular distance from axis of rotation)

I

vikas askiitian expert
509 Points
13 years ago

I posted the comlete solution but i dont know why remaining part is not appearing ...

here is the remaining solution remaining solution :

I1 = I (about axis of rotation) + I(abot its own axis)

I1 = mr2 + ma2 /2                          ( Icom =ma2 /2 )

total moment of inertia is 4I1

I = 4I1 = 4mr2 + 2ma2     

for constant torque we can use this eq

W =W0 + (alfa)t                             (alfa is angular accleration)

t=W/alfa                         (w0  is 0 )

t = WI/T

t = 2m(a2 + 2r2 )W/T

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free